Home Unreal Engine

Spec/SpecPwr Surface Discontinuity...damnit!

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
punchface polycounter lvl 6
Okay, so I've been beating my head against the wall on this one for a couple of days now and I guess I'm going to have to surrender to needing help. Here are the pics first so y'all can see the obvious issue I'm having:

S3XDRNg.jpgAeZkRKq.jpg

Replies

• punchface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So the issue is primarily on the top of the barrel of the non-revolver looking weapon where the light appears to be coming in from different angles entirely split along the UV seam.

I've been reading a lot of here on polycount about explicit normals and tangents/bi-normal settings in the .fbx export plug in for Max. I've also seen some stuff that people have been talking about wherein the problem may or may not originate with inverted or overlapped UV shells or clusters...

I know for sure that my stuff isn't overlapped in this particular case.

Furthermore, one of the things that I tried when I realized that the problem might be coming from weirdness in how UDK deals with .fbxs, I just tried to skip the issue entirely by importing the weapon as an .ASE.

No luck. No joy. Please help. :)

pf
  • Xendance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xendance polycounter lvl 7
    Are you using a dominant light? Non dominant lights bake specular reflections, whereas with dominant lights the direct lighting is dynamic. For a weapon model, I think a dynamic light would work better. Just convert that to a mover or some other that relies on dynamic lighting ;)
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    my suggestion is to just not put a UV seam in such an obvious spot.
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Check that your UVs with the specular error are also rotated correctly (head on top, not shifted by 90°).
  • punchface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xendance,

I'll try it out and shift back to a dominant directional light. I got rid of mine in favor of point lights because I understood how to control shadow sharpness better.

sprunghunt

Maybe next time, sure. But for this time, your suggestion doesn't help me understand what is actually happening here. It might be that putting a seam there is a bad idea but that's a separate issue.

Froyok,

If you're right, about this and UDK is going to be that damn picky about UV cluster orientation, I might just switch over to the Cry Engine for stuff because that sucks. That's lame and dumb and weak. Ugh...gosh, I hope you're wrong. I sooooo don't want to redo all my textures because I need to change the orientation of the friggin' clusters.

Thanks for the feedback y'all.

pf
  • punchface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So here we are now. Xendance's bit about the DD light worked, bless your soul, sir/madam!

But yeahhhh, there's still this super annoying super-super sharp shadow edges and artifacts all over the place which make everything look totally poopy:
    02wd9ss.jpg
  • JonathanLambert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonathanLambert polycounter lvl 6
    Post a screen shot with a flat grey vector3 diffuse applied and post a screen shot of your shader.
  • Xendance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Or just put the viewport in lighting and/or detail lighting mode.
  • punchface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a vector3 in diffuse with nothing else? What about normals or spec or reflection blah blah?

T0oH6f2.jpg
  • Xendance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just turn on this viewmode, then it's lighting only with normals enabled, that way it's easier to spot if the normals are ok on your mesh. For checking out the specular do what JonathanLambert said :)

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/ViewModes.html#Detail Lighting
  • punchface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As I figured they would, my normals look fine:

L17shFc.jpg
  • punchface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    (bump) Has anybody seen those weird shadows before? Anyone? Bueller?

pf
  • punchface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So it's been quite a while since I hit this thread...here's how things played out:

I got a new larger hard drive.
    I upgraded to Win8 64
    I installed a new GFX card capable of supporting DX11.
    I got the 02.2013 version of the UDK.

After all this, my problems are basically solved. In any case though, I was never able to figure out what was causing those weird shadows. Here are the final pics - Three cheers for modern technology:

KUrh2NT.jpgxSzdHnl.jpg
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    Your normals were inverted in your previous screens. Something you have done since then fixed that. A new import of the textures in the new version of UDK with the proper import settings most likely fixed that.