Home General Discussion

new xbox unveiling May 21st

Replies

• Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Shrike wrote: »
    You need to think a little further than your own experience.
    As a person interested in games, the dashboard is exactly what and how I want. There are nearly no real ads at all. If you are not in that target group, don't expect to be satisfied with their actions to satisfy that group.

The obvious problem with that logic is that such an approach to console design will severely limit the NextBox's potential audience. The 360 has managed to secure a fairly stable userbase, largely thanks to strong development support coupled with the community aspects of XBox Live. And Microsoft has learned how to cater to that particular market very well. The 360 is the de-facto "dude-bro" console.

But Microsoft's attempts to broaden the 360's appeal have been hit-and-miss, leaning heavily toward "miss." While the Kinect has been a fun experiment, it has had the same kind of "bubble" that the Wii was known for. (it gains a decent initial following, even garnering decent sales, but doesn't evidence real staying power)

The kind of audience that Microsoft has in their pocket isn't going to grow much, and can be swayed by other companies offering better games and/or experiences. Sticking to the exact same marketing strategies in the coming console cycle will not work out well for Microsoft. The competition is simply too fierce.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    Shrike wrote: »
    Same here.
    Dashboard shows the news feed to their customers. If you buy a newspaper,
    you are expected to have interest in articles. If you buy a xbox, you are expected to be interested in games.

All I get are adverts for pay on demand services that I don't give a shit about.