Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Monthly Noob Challenge 7 Concept Thread

Replies

• LANKUS MAXIMUS
    I agree...

The concept is very nice but this is still supposed to be a Monthly Noob Challenge.
  • mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thats true, the car along could be a long term project for a lot of people.
  • SonicBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SonicBlue polycounter lvl 10
    Also there is an engine on the floor too :D
  • Korvash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    based on the concept images, I'm hoping to get involved in this one myself. Been finding it hard to focus on a project recently..

Anyways, my vote is for either,
    image_1357150489.jpg

or

tumblr_mjhma3fzOQ1rhc7y5o1_500.jpg
  • ActionDawg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    SonicBlue wrote: »
    Also there is an engine on the floor too :D
    what you can't make a fully modeled engine in a few minutes?! :poly142:

but anywho you guys have a point. that would be a hard environment to do for most. it would be possible if some of the assets were ignored but then that's taking more and more liberties and i dont really think it would be fitting for a noob challenge where the goal is to just improve.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    I've seen this in the thread a lot, do you guys think this is a good one?
    image_1366669126.jpg
  • uberphoenix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    uberphoenix polycounter lvl 8
    I think that one has the same issue with the above one, because of the train. I think the best one would be the castle wall, as it has a good mix of things to do and learn.
  • VelvetElvis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VelvetElvis polycounter lvl 12
    I think that one has the same issue with the above one, because of the train. I think the best one would be the castle wall, as it has a good mix of things to do and learn.

You could always leave the train out. Plus, the subway car is a lot more simple to model than say a car. Outside of the subway car, the rest of the scene is fairly simple and modular.

I dig the castle wall one as well, but the last time they did a more nature based image it was pretty much a flop for the month. I think the subway one will generate more interest.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    You could always leave the train out. Plus, the subway car is a lot more simple to model than say a car. Outside of the subway car, the rest of the scene is fairly simple and modular.

I dig the castle wall one as well, but the last time they did a more nature based image it was pretty much a flop for the month. I think the subway one will generate more interest.

It's be slow as fuck lately, I don't know what happened:/ I want to get one that interests people but people are not getting involved as much anymore:/
  • SonicBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SonicBlue polycounter lvl 10
    somedoggy wrote: »
    what you can't make a fully modeled engine in a few minutes?! :poly142:

but anywho you guys have a point. that would be a hard environment to do for most. it would be possible if some of the assets were ignored but then that's taking more and more liberties and i dont really think it would be fitting for a noob challenge where the goal is to just improve.

Of course I can, like everybody :poly121:

;D

Anyway I think, as a super noob in game art, that would be easier to make the challenge with only one prop to model, maybe multiple props, so one can choose what he likes and if he's fast, there others to do.

Or maybe made an "Enviroments for noobs Challenge" and a "Props for noobs Challenge", or something like that.
  • Kitty|Owl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitty|Owl polycounter lvl 3
    image_1366669126.jpg

this one is nice and all, not really that interesting a subject in the image imo, but i'd give it a shot if it was chosen, since it looks like it'd be good texturing practice.
  • VelvetElvis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VelvetElvis polycounter lvl 12
    It's be slow as fuck lately, I don't know what happened:/ I want to get one that interests people but people are not getting involved as much anymore:/

I think people are voting for the "cool" image over the neat but practical image. Then when it comes down to the actual process, they get in way over their heads and quit. Challenge #4 was so successful because it was interesting yet very simple. It had 1-2 hero pieces and the rest were simple forms. When you get an image of 5 plus hero pieces and many unique forms, it becomes too much.

Perhaps as well, get the current monthly thread stickied? This thread gets rolled back onto the 2nd and 3rd page quickly so people may just browse the front few pages and miss this one.

Plus the Escape challenge is still going so that's got to be pulling people away.
  • uberphoenix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    uberphoenix polycounter lvl 8
    But these threads were meant to be a way for noobs to learn that wanted to get into environment modelling, it was never about popularity, so I'm not sure why we'r caring about how many people do it each month. It's up to them if they want to self improve.

I thought we was voting for the one we wanted to do and the most voted one was then done for the month? It's not about finishing it, more about learning so then next time you get faster because you already have some experience.

I hate to bring it up again but there are very few noobs taking part tbh :S
  • JustinSlick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JustinSlick polycounter lvl 6
    Alright, so I went through and tried to tally as accurately as possible... this could be slightly off because some of the posts are a bit vague. I also pretty much ignored the ones I was sure didn't have enough votes. I got:

Wall: 8
    Subway: 6
    River Shack: 5
    Bar: 4

And then a bunch with 3, like the Seashell, Epic Games concept, Gray Shuko concepts and a few others.
  • LANKUS MAXIMUS
    i agree. I was hoping to jump on this one as i am a genuine noob in need of a project that others take on. Purely for advice, feedback and personal skill development.

Im worried this is gonna turn into a thread of rapid WIP shots from artists that are clearly not what one would call a 'noob', defeating the thread's purpose.

Skilled artists could quite easily select their favourite concept and work on it for a month...
  • joeriv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    I really don't see the problem with it, if there are good artists working on it, wouldn't that mean more activity in the thread, more people to ask questions to (people that you say that are better then you, so you can learn from them).

it's not a contest to see who's best, just some people doing stuff together/learning from eachother.
  • JustinSlick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i agree. I was hoping to jump on this one as i am a genuine noob in need of a project that others take on. Purely for advice, feedback and personal skill development.

Same here! I'm not necessarily a complete 3D noob, but I'm definitely new to gameart and some of the technical aspects make my head spin a little bit.

I haven't participated in one of these yet, but I've followed the last couple months closely, and I've seriously learned a ton from watching the way people approach these.

Alexcatmaster, I wouldn't worry too much about the popularity of the threads... for everyone that's participated there are probably ten people like me who have been following closely and learning a shitton.
    joeriv wrote: »
    I really don't see the problem with it, if there are good artists working on it, wouldn't that mean more activity in the thread, more people to ask questions to (people that you say that are better then you, so you can learn from them).

it's not a contest to see who's best, just some people doing stuff together/learning from eachother.

Couldn't have said it better :thumbup: Actually I really appreciate that there are skilled artists that participate. It's seriously so valuable to see how a good artist approaches an asset.
  • LANKUS MAXIMUS
    I totally agree with all that, it would definitely be an awesome thing to have as many artists' help as possible, i just meant as in artists just posting awesome work with no help for the others.

Not saying that would ever happen on here, i just looked through the previous challenges and there is so much good advice from so many different people, its kinda made my point feel pointless anyway :P

My input just came from past experience on noob threads that were not as good as this one...

I look forward to nagging you all for crits ;)
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator

A lot of people I would assume have been attempting the escape challenge, I'm certain it should pickup for Challenge 8 if not this one.
  • Grimm_Wrecking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimm_Wrecking polycounter lvl 8
    Personally I'd be down for this one. I haven't jumped into one of these threads yet, but I've hit a personal motivation slump and this one I think this one could peak my interest again, working with everyone on it.
    AkiRa wrote: »
    image_1357150489.jpg
  • JustinSlick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Personally I'd be down for this one. I haven't jumped into one of these threads yet, but I've hit a personal motivation slump and this one I think this one could peak my interest again, working with everyone on it.

This is totally the one I've been subconsciously planning for : ) I think I just have my mind set on learning grass, trees, and terrain this month!
  • LANKUS MAXIMUS
    Same here..

I've never tackled foliage before. I've been searching for a good concept to work from for a summer project.

Creating this throughout May would be awesome now that the sun has returned :)
  • GDR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GDR
    AkiRa wrote: »
    image_1357150489.jpg

I said I would compete last month, and totally didn't, but I'll definitely give it a go with this one!
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme