Home Unreal Engine

Cooking Custom Game in UDK

chronologicalist
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
chronologicalist polycounter lvl 8
Hi everyone,

I don't know anything at all about preparing my map for cooking and essentially getting to that final ".exe" format. My only real requirements for this game are that my player spawns at a certain point and that it's first person with no weapon. What do I need to do/set up inside my level before I cook it? How can I get just a simple first person game going with no weapon when I open the .exe?

Replies

• Hourences
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hourences polycounter lvl 18
    If you start UDK.exe, and then open the console and type "open yourlevelname", does that work? And does it use the right gametype (simplegame)?

Chances are it already does that correctly. If it does all you need to do is open UDKGame\Config\DefaultEngine.ini and change

Map=UDKFrontEndMap.udk
    LocalMap=UDKFrontEndMap.udk

Into your level. That is the default level it loads when you start UDK.exe. From there on just cook your level in the Frontend, and let the frontend create an installer out of it.
  • chronologicalist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the response. Yes, opening UDK.exe and typing in "open mylevel" works, and I believe it uses the right game type, although it's still not following my setspeed kismet command.

What am I changing in the binaries folder? I found the lines that say
    Map=UdkFrontEndMap.udk
    LocalMap=UDKFrontEndMap.udk

but what am I changing exactly? Just changing the "UDKFrontEndMap" to the name of my level instead? Again, thank you for the quick response.
  • Hourences
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes just type the name of your level there, though it is in the UDKGame Config folder not Binaries like you wrote, just to be clear.

Does setspeed work in the editor? Setspeed probably needs a UT pawn and simplegame does not has that.

If you are going to just distribute your level in an installer, for the sake of showing it to others, you could also just hard modify the speed of the pawn, instead of that command.

Find SimplePawn.uc in the Development folder, and find the groundspeed variable at the bottom of that file. Change it there. Restart editor and it will compile. That should be it probably.
  • chronologicalist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you so much for your responses. I am at this very moment looking at your sound tutorials. Your Hourences website is an amazing resource for newish UDK users. Thanks a ton for putting that up as a free resource, I really appreciate it.
  • Hourences
    Options
    Offline / Send Message