Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Panzer 38 (T) - First Project

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
PhilG polycounter lvl 5
This was my first time using 3ds max, I used to do mainly level design in GTK radiant and now UDK, but i'm finding creating my own models to be so much fun.

The project was to create a WWII tank for a current games engine. It had to be static and only use a 2048 x 2048 material. Which must include a Diffuse, Normal and specular.

Now it's finished I need some pointers to put into my report. I haven't included the emissive and opaque maps in this post as they are straightforward.

If I animate it I would do the tracks differently. Other considerations would to make different pieces for the sides like axes and shovels, and maybe a few spare wheels. Next time I think I will stitch the sides of the tank to the top part as well to make things a little easier. Also I think I would consider joining all the tracks together which would lower the polycount considerably and possibly making the front drive wheels as planes.

Here is the tank in UDK [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EruIXTzVwSo&list=UUu7b8k6YwaE1EfFJNyjdAdg&index=1"]Panzer38T_g034326a - YouTube[/ame]

TankSide2_zps74e0fe8d.jpgTankSide1_zpse8d6717a.jpgTankFull_diffuseSharp_zps723812c2.jpgTank_Norm_zps19c09f2d.jpgTank_spec_zps51b89671.jpgAOTank_zps3af7ed38.jpgHighandLowPoly_zpse5118ff6.jpg

Replies

• PhilG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhilG polycounter lvl 5
  • PhilG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhilG polycounter lvl 5
    Now I just need comments please on any improvements I can make :)Shiny_render_zps366c8ac5.png
  • joeriv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    since no one commented yet, I'll give it a shot :D

-not a big fan of the higpoly/wire presentation, the usage of photo's (and the border with the effect on it)+ that military font reminds me of those really old boxes with models that you could assemble.
    I would personally either make it more neutral, or if you want something more special, do it yourself, but don't throw on in a couple of photo's.

-can't really comment on accuracy since I don't know the tank that well, sorry :p

-You say that you would plan to make the wheels a plane, and join the tracks together, I would do it differently.
    For a portfolio project, it wouldn't hurt to actually spend a bit more geo on the wheels.
    The tracks, just go for a box that follows a spline with a tileable texture, it actually makes it possible to animate those ingame, the difference in visuals is barely noticable, and you save a lot of tri's to spend on other parts.

-UV's, the underside/side of the bottom (where the wheels connect), those take up way to much, scale those down by a lot, I don't think I have seen a game where tanks like this can flip over, and except for maybe 1 or 2 I haven't seen a real life picture of tank flipped over.

the top of the tank where the turret sits, it's just a flat area, with another piece on top, you could have cut this out, connected it, and saved uv space again.
    now it's just a whole part that will never be seen where you could have thrown in some smaller stuff.

Also I don't see any sort of padding in any of your textures, it's a small thing, but it doesn't take a lot of effort to quickly run the xnormal dilation filter.

-On the texture itself, it does seem to get to noisy in some parts, especially the back, with the worst offender being the exhaust.
    spec/gloss also seem to not do all that much, looking at the sheets, everything just seems to be in the same range, with black grunge added, and the gloss just seems like your spec with more contrast, you could probably do more with that.

maybe have a look at polygoo's vehicle textures, or paul pepera's highpoly tanks, and try to analyze what makes those so great.

I hope this helps a bit ^^
  • PhilG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhilG polycounter lvl 5
    Excellent thank you Joeriv, lots of stuff there to put in my report for things I could change :) Noted that down so I can make the changes.