Home Unreal Engine

Lighting doesn't build?

haarp
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
haarp polycounter lvl 8
This is the first time I've encountered this problem and haven't been able to find forum posts relating to it.

My build lighting message doesn't disappear after a light build, it's as if it hasn't built the lighting which it has.

I've re-added the lightmassimportance volume. Anything else I should try?

Replies

• ivanzu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivanzu polycounter lvl 10
    You mean you get icon with exclamation mark?If this is the case you baked the lights in preview mode.
  • mAlkAv!An
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mAlkAv!An polycounter lvl 5
    This happened for me a few times too for whatever reason. It was non-reproducible, just like a random bug.
    However, I've been always able to save the map (the rebuild was in fact done) or test play the level and then restart UDK to continue work.
  • haarp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haarp polycounter lvl 8
    The exclamation mark and the red text that says lighting needs to be built. I've tried production mode even though this hasn't happened on my other maps, even in preview mode the exclamation mark disappeared.
  • Hourences
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hourences polycounter lvl 18
    There is something in there that invalidates itself, for example streaming in another level that was not part of the original rebuild would do this. There are also certain setups with dynamic lights that can kill it, and I am sure a few more exceptions I am overlooking now.

A package (mesh) change that happened after the rebuild is also a possible reason.

So as you probably don't have streaming levels, check if you have any toggleable and moveable lights and try without those for a moment, if you only got a few new meshes try without those, etc. Basically step through the step bit by bit, and see at what point it works. It could be a few different things.
  • haarp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haarp polycounter lvl 8
    I deleted the dominant directional light, rebuilt, and the exclamation mark and text went away. I then added a new one and the issue occurs again. I deleted all lights on them map, added new dominant directional light, same issue.

I then deleted some destructible meshes that had returned to cube form (missing a mesh or something) and it now light builds fine!