Home Unreal Engine

Semi-Transparent water.

I'm creating a water material in UDK that is generated from essentially 4 different normals. The water looks honkey dorey, except that it is not transparent in the slightest. I've been trying to use the translucent blend mode but every time I do it becomes super whitewashed looking.

Left is opaque right is translucent blend
http://i.imgur.com/bqOAVW6.jpg

I'm still pretty new to all of this material editing so my own attempts at resolving this have been pretty limited.

Replies

• Kurt Russell Fan Club
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kurt Russell Fan Club polycounter lvl 9
    What are you changing to get it working?

You should change the blend mode to Translucent and put your opacity into the opacity slot. Your colour you can put into the diffuse or emissive slot.
  • uiemad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, the diffuse is generated from a vectorparameter. When I change it to translucent you get the white look you see there. I've then tried plugging the ALpha channel of the vectorparameter (value 0-1) into opacity. I have also tried using a gray texture imported from photoshop as well as using the 1 input node (cant remember what it's called.)

In each attempt I tried using various levels of gray and it always appears as the same whitewashed water.
  • uiemad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay I was partially incorrect. When I mess with the value I plug into opacity it DOES in fact become transparent. But it still has the extremely whitewashed color to it.
  • uiemad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Further, it seems it doesn't lose it's color if the object it is on is small. But any plane or bsp that I extend outward to the horizons has all color washed out of it.
  • Hourences
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hourences polycounter lvl 18
    Try to turn off fog for a moment. Does that help?

There are some flags for translucency, bottom of the material. Could mess some with those.

Does it has a DepthBiased anywhere in it? Fog tends to has problems with that in some cases.

In extreme cases the shape of the water mesh may have an impact. Try to not scale it up hugely, drawscale wise, but just import a bigger plane. Also try to subdivide the surface some and see if that helps.

If you have nothing on the horizon but sea, you can also fake fog manually through the material.
  • ufna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Please show your shader nodes.