Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Topology draft on car

stanley82
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
stanley82 polycounter lvl 7
Hi guys, I would like to ask you for commenting my draft of topology on car. I would like to know if is ok. If you have any advise or idea how to improve it, I would appreciate it.

Pleae how would you solve "issue" with triangle in red area?
Thanks

Replies

• stanley82
    Offline / Send Message
    After few tests on other images I found it is nice way how to prepare for modelling. It can actually speed up the modelling it self. It is very nice guide for me. This drafts helps me to avoid remodelling.

I believe that more experienced modellers dont do this before modelling, but they are imagine it on the fly. Anyway I found it as a nice topology exercise :)
  • VVCephei
    I have this very same issue, and it's really hard to keep form of an object and add edge flows consistently. I don't think there is an alternative solution to this. If you need that edge connection then it has to be there.

Saved this thread because I'd also like to know if there is a solution, Hopefully somebody better than me will know and post :D
  • leopadua3d
    Hi,

Not sure if you still need a solution, but perhaps the image below can help you.

meshTest1.jpg

But although it solved a tri, its nonetheless populating your mesh with Stars...which will also pinch, so I guess we would need to assess the overall topo better.

I think the edges need to be more consistently distributed.

I'm interested in your progress. keep us updated with you mesh.
  • stanley82
    Offline / Send Message
    leopadua3d: when I saw your solution I found it very simple and suprised i didnt figure it out by myslef :)

I would say that "stars" are problem only if they are visible (pinch) and it is not necessary to spend hours and days to find out how to avoid them 100%

VVCephei: feel free to share your "issues" here as well, Im also curious about your topology workflow :)

Guys, Im looking for "smart" and effective topology more than the flawless one. I will show you another draft which is focused on problematic parts, thats why the rest is not finished.

THE GREEN wireframe is lets say "base mesh" - could be even simplier
    THE BLUE wireframe is layer with added details

Again I tried to avoid tris and ngons but "stars" are there anyway

If you have time try to mark base mesh and "next level of detail" with different colours. Im quite curious how you would start simple base mesh and then add details referring to effectivity.

BTW I knew that polycount community will be friendly :D
  • leopadua3d
    Hey Stanley82,

No worries. I think its best for everyone when we talk about our stuff. (I'm still wondering what people think about one work of mine..but no words so far). guess in the end, its the main reason why we are here, to share, contribute and grow.

As for your mesh, I believe its pretty much done, but I believe there are a couple of edges that would need to be straighten up in order to subdivide properly.

Although I believe your exercises are valuable, I also tend to think that you need to get one of these meshes on a 3D package, so you can see what are the real consequences of your designs and where you can reduce/need to increase the density to hold the shapes.

Overall, I think this one is fine and I would be tempted to put it to test.

Any plans on modeling these layouts?

All the best,
  • stanley82
    Offline / Send Message
    leopadua3d wrote: »
    (I'm still wondering what people think about one work of mine..but no words so far)

Im looking forward to see your work.

I was kinda surprised when did post on blenderartists forum and only one guy replied and asked about the image without wires. I was expecting different approach from blender community :) Anyway, lets not judge them all just by one guy, right? :)
    leopadua3d wrote: »
    Any plans on modeling these layouts?

I have already started simple mesh of Bentley car, Im going to send it today. And will continue create wireframe drafts. It becomes fun. "I know, strange" :D
  • leopadua3d
    Hey Stanley82,

Looking forward to your mesh.

As for my stuff, u can find on the forum already... I guess u can look for the threads I created by clicking on my name.

Keep up.
  • stanley82
    Offline / Send Message
    Good evening,
    as I promised posting lowpoly model of Bentley Continental.

It is very low poly and early beginning. Im also sending the wireframe draft. The draft was created for "base mesh"

I tried to quickly put the draft in 3d space :) so it is not precise and lot of issues are not fixed, but will be, one day :D
  • leopadua3d
    Hey man,

Not bad. I believe the draft has a few cleaner lines to it, but I take that you did not spend the time to clean the mesh after all.

Watch out for that couple of tris on the front wheel-well, as it would not add too many tris just to continue the proper lines towards the rear wheel arch. I would also steer clear of drastic changes on the edge direction, like that almost 90 on the rear bumper...perhaps continuing the end thru the entire bumper would end up better.

Anyhow, looking forward to your progress.

Keep up.
  • stanley82
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi, probably I will start some kind of sketchbook thread for the bentley model and others. Im going to keep current one for drafts. Just to keep things not messy. Anyway thanks for tips. Model will be cleaned in future.