Home General Discussion

Project Anarchy - Havok's new FREE Mobile Development Engine

Replies

• Yog-Shoggoth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yog-Shoggoth polycounter lvl 9
    Really Looking forward to giving Project Anarchy a go when it's released and glad to hear that FBX is going to be supported for those of us who don't use Max/Maya.

I had a question with regards to iOS development, as Anarchy is going to be PC based only does that mean we can build iOS projects straight from the PC without needing to compile them on a Mac first? (I assume we'll still need a Mac to actually deploy them to iTunes due to Apple's signing requirements etc.)

I got all excited when I realised Unity had made iOS/Android development free, only to discover that you couldn't build an iOS project on the PC and needed a Mac to be able to do that :(
  • justin.robert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Any update on the release date? Are we still looking for "early-mid June"?

Thanks.
  • Hattori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really Looking forward to giving Project Anarchy a go when it's released and glad to hear that FBX is going to be supported for those of us who don't use Max/Maya.

I had a question with regards to iOS development, as Anarchy is going to be PC based only does that mean we can build iOS projects straight from the PC without needing to compile them on a Mac first? (I assume we'll still need a Mac to actually deploy them to iTunes due to Apple's signing requirements etc.)

I got all excited when I realised Unity had made iOS/Android development free, only to discover that you couldn't build an iOS project on the PC and needed a Mac to be able to do that :(

You can't deploy a iOS project on a PC because that requires Xcode which is Mac only and comes with your iOS/Mac developer account.
    No matter what engine you use, a Mac is still required to deploy for iOS.
  • Mangled Poly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mangled Poly polycounter lvl 18
    Hattori wrote: »
    You can't deploy a iOS project on a PC because that requires Xcode which is Mac only and comes with your iOS/Mac developer account.
    No matter what engine you use, a Mac is still required to deploy for iOS.

Yes a mac will be required for iOS deployment. I would suggest if you are serious about iOS deployment you pick up a mac mini, they can be had for cheap and even cheaper if you dont mind used.. plus it can double as a media pc in your cabinet!
  • Mangled Poly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Any update on the release date? Are we still looking for "early-mid June"?

Thanks.

Mid-June is still on target! :)
  • Yog-Shoggoth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes a mac will be required for iOS deployment. I would suggest if you are serious about iOS deployment you pick up a mac mini, they can be had for cheap and even cheaper if you dont mind used.. plus it can double as a media pc in your cabinet!

Thanks for the reply. Looks like I might have to put together an OSX VM for building/deploying my iOS stuff.
  • Ago
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ago
    Hi!

I have a Macbook Pro 15'' Retina Display i7 (2012) SSD with GeForce GT 650M with 1GB GDDR5 memory.
    Have you tested the Project Anarchy with PC emulator like Boot Camp or Parallels 8? if yes does It work well?

Thanks
    Ago
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    Probably can't save myself from sounding like an uber-newb here, but will Project Anarchy be able to seque projects into the (desktop) vision engine? I'm looking at the Vision website and I see these tools, but as a novice I wouldn't know what to do with them.

Anyway looking forward to it!
  • Mangled Poly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ago wrote: »
    Hi!

I have a Macbook Pro 15'' Retina Display i7 (2012) SSD with GeForce GT 650M with 1GB GDDR5 memory.
    Have you tested the Project Anarchy with PC emulator like Boot Camp or Parallels 8? if yes does It work well?

Thanks
    Ago

To my knowledge we have not tested on boot camp or parallels yet.
  • Mangled Poly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg wrote: »
    Probably can't save myself from sounding like an uber-newb here, but will Project Anarchy be able to seque projects into the (desktop) vision engine? I'm looking at the Vision website and I see these tools, but as a novice I wouldn't know what to do with them.

Anyway looking forward to it!

Project Anarchy is the vision engine with directx9 only support and locked deployment to the platforms listed. If you want to get into pc stuff switching a project anarchy project to vision engine will be pretty seamless.
  • Polynaut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polynaut polycounter lvl 7
    Mid-June is still on target! :)

Uuuuuuummmm, it's mid-June today. :)
  • fourad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it's mid-June, hope we will get it soon.
    is there any occlusion culling or LOD systems so we could push mobile hardware to it limits ?
  • justin.robert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's been silence regarding the mid-june launch. No news either on the official website or the twitter. Maybe they are planning something big as reaction of Unity's free mobile offer? I would like to see Vision been free too ;)
  • Yog-Shoggoth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    According to their homepage, it appears to have been released but the servers have been overloaded and gone down due to the amount of interest.
  • Mangled Poly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It is released and the site is now live:
    http://www.projectanarchy.com/
  • lukepham101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lukepham101 polycounter lvl 7
    Yeah boiiii!! Thanks Mangled Poly and to the rest of your team for being such cool peeps. Free is the best! I'll probably just get started with the pipeline of how to import an asset from 3ds Max into the engine, then adding textures and setting it up with materials and such, with maybe getting it to run on my mobile and hopefully nothing goes wrong. Let's hope nothing breaks! :)
  • Mangled Poly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah boiiii!! Thanks Mangled Poly and to the rest of your team for being such cool peeps. Free is the best! I'll probably just get started with the pipeline of how to import an asset from 3ds Max into the engine, then adding textures and setting it up with materials and such, with maybe getting it to run on my mobile and hopefully nothing goes wrong. Let's hope nothing breaks! :)

My figures are crossed! Check out the course ware may have a good starting part for the 3d model :)
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    awesome, will be interesting to give it a whirl tonite
  • illo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I havent built anything specifically for this engine yet, but Ive been tinkering with tools, workflows and clicking all the buttons. my initial review:

documentation is very in depth.
    tutorials are very clear and concise.
    hlsl + a node editor makes me happy.
    tons of tools that dont bog the editor down if you dont need them.
    choice between deferred or forward rendering is RIGHT there, no need to dive through menus
    the light blocking volume is pretty sweet.
    really like the c++ access and ability to write plugins.

GUI has to be written in C++? I dont like that but I might have missed something.
    not much info on networking and its capabilities.
    documentation, while in depth, seems scattered through several documents. I would prefer one large file with everything.

great work guys, cant wait to dig into it a bit more this weekend.
  • justin.robert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Have been play around the SDK fro last couple days.

You might be disappointed if you want easy workflow like Unity, but if you want solid tools and great support, Project Anarchy is just great.

But If you are working on iOS game development, since all the tools are PC based, you have to switch between PC and Mac a lot, that's not fun. The FileServe (dynamic upload assets through wifi without re-deploy your app) tools helps a lot in this situation.

While the free version allow you to publish on Android/iOS/Tizen, you have to upgrade to pro version to access other platforms like Windows Phone/PC/Consoles. (Sadly there's no Mac/Linux support)

If you are a solo developer, then you might be warned the license process might not be smooth. You have to send email to their sales to discuss the detial, and might be told that if you are not a team or studio, then you have to wait longer to be processed. Personally I wait 5 days to even get email response, (That's why I hate the "discuss with our sales" engine licensing process) and still I'm waiting for the quotation of pro upgrade.

I might stay with Unity for now for the workflow and Mac support since my current game is iOS only. But will definitively keep an eye on the progress of Project Anarchy.
  • cmtanko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cmtanko polycounter lvl 10
    I'm doing some research for a new mobile Card Game.. Unity or Havok., I'm totally new to mobile gaming, so whatever I choose,I'll have to learn from the scratch..
    (Havok, I like the promos and Unity, dont like the interface)
    But Unity being quite old have lots of tutorials available. so easy/faster to learn.
    Is Havok worth a try than Unity ?