Home Technical Talk

Next Gen Tri Count Prediction

Hi guys, sorry for this rushed thread, currently making a mech to enter into the CGStudentAwards "Next Gen Gaming" category, and i was wondering if anyone had any thoughts or predictions on what tri counts are going to be like in the PS4 generation, the low poly for my mech is already at over 12k and that's just two legs half an arm and a shoulder pad :D. And i don't want it too be too unrealistic, ideally i'd like it to be a correct amount for a high end game.

But at this rate i think it's going be hitting 30k tri's or round about that mark, do you think this would be acceptable for a "Hero" prop? even now perhaps?

My vague "bar" for measuring tri count against that i've used for a while is just keeping mind that Marcus Phoenix in Gears is around 15,000 from what i last heard so by that reckoning personally i don't think 30k or even a bit higher would be too much for an 18 foot tall hero piece, any thoughts?

Replies

• Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    if its for next gen, 30k is totally acceptable
    i saw so many next gen vehicle/character around 40-50-60k.so i think 30k is not too much
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    there is no real number, it all depends on how tris are used, the type of game, and the system, since obviously even with the next gen consoles coming out a PC can take much more than a console.

Type of game since a open world game would hit tings harder than a game with only small parts of the environment visible at once. Than things like how many characters are viable on screen at once etc.

also in a lot of current games for PC atleast, it isnt tri counts dragging performance down, it is shaders, fillrate and overdraw.
  • FrostWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah i realise tri count is a very relative and situation dependent thing, but people still pop the "How many tri's?" question so i just wanted to make sure i wasn't being ridiculously high with the count :). Cheers guys.
  • mikiex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikiex polycounter lvl 5
    Tri count has long been used as some kind of metric, but actually vertex count (and unique verts at that) is probably a more useful one and closer to what actually people are asking - they just don't know it.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    as long as you're not being stupid it makes next to no difference these days on proper hardware. (ie not handheld) the bulk of the cost is in shaders.

just make it look awesome and be efficient and you'll be fine.
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 14
    there's never been any concrete number. it all depends on the platform, engine, complexity of shader, memory budget...

just use what you need to preserve the silhouette at all angles view-able to the player.
  • mikiex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikiex polycounter lvl 5
    poopipe wrote: »
    as long as you're not being stupid it makes next to no difference these days on proper hardware. (ie not handheld) the bulk of the cost is in shaders.

just make it look awesome and be efficient and you'll be fine.

While I agree it's less of an issue than maybe it was Vertex data is also passing though vertex shaders. If a skinned character has 20k verts, there is a distance on screen at which it will be vert bound and at which point it would be more efficient if LODed. I don't know about the this "next generation" (I've jumped out of that race) , though the experience with every other generation as been people saying"don't worry about it you can have x times more" - yet the reality has never been that, we prototype x times more and have had to scale back.

[RoosterMap said]
    "just use what you need to preserve the silhouette at all angles view-able to the player."

That I agree is the most important thing
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    x2 current gen is completely acceptable.
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    I predict the piece of string will be TWELVE inches! :D
  • JValencia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JValencia polycounter lvl 10
    Guys, what would be a solid Triangle budget for a Third Person weapon (single player) for the Xbone/PS4/PC platforms? The engine used would be Unreal.

Sean says x2 current gen is completely acceptable, but does that apply for Third Person props as well? For ref, Gears of War 3 dedicated approx. 1,800-6,500 tri's to its weapons.
  • FelixL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FelixL polycounter lvl 9
    Depends. Skinned characters are still expensive, especially with animated attachments, more detailed facial animation, etc. You should still only use as much as you really need to.
    Vehicles, props, and other non-deforming stuff on the other hand...
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    Cost is relative, if you have 150k tri model with simple vertex-colour only shader it's obviously going to be cheaper to draw than if you're using high-end PBR stuff with super highres textures...
  • JValencia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JValencia polycounter lvl 10
    Guys, any insight on my post? Thanks.