Home Dota 2

bewsii's Dota 2 thread

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
bewsii polycounter lvl 9
Hello everybody! Most of you don't know me yet, as I've been a mere lurker for quite some time, but I've recently decided to join your really cool community of wonderful artists after getting involved with the Dota 2 Workshop.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=111384500

83B0F55BEA68D94274D0F0969AF1977FED491543

My name is Sean and I'm a recent graduate (this week, in fact) from the Art Institute with a BFA in Media Arts & Animation. I modeled Cluckles the Brave on Helenek's team last year when the workshop was brand new. He is a long time friend and roommate, so we've worked on a lot of things together in the past -- and are now planning to really hit the workshop hard in the upcoming weeks as long as things go as planned.

Most of my experience modeling comes from high poly CG/Photorealistic modeling, as can be seen at www.sm3d.net but now plan to fully be apart of the Dota 2 artists.

My first submission will be a sword for Sven. Helenek says the chance of getting it accepted is slim since he's champ people learn with so to speak. I don't expect my first item to be approved, but I will work hard on it none the less if nothing more to build a reputation here.

I am new to Zbrush and texturing in general, so this is the first item I've really done this on. I've gotten the hang of it pretty good thanks to Anuxi's twitch videos lol

First time using zBrush.. what an experience. I'm madly in love with it now!
I0pdley.jpg

This is the LOD0 (678 Tri's I think), new sculpt design.. basic maps laid out.. still had trouble with the Bakes at this point. Also trying to figure out how to break this down another 90 polygons lol
UbbNHWa.jpg
gGW6vX0.jpg

This is as of tonight.. just laying the base maps down, no color/spec/lightmap so it's pretty dark.
OjUoeeu.png

Right now the textures still need a lot of work.I ended up redoing the bakes out because I had a bunch of trouble with the projection picking up too much of both the low and high poly models in the UV's. I found that making a second copy of the low poly mesh and creating a cage from it really helps xNormal figure out the proper placement. So I should finish this project up and have it submitted this weekend now that I have some free time.

So anyways, I welcome criticism and value helpful opinions.. and hope to get a chance to work with some of you in the future!

Replies

• bewsii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bewsii polycounter lvl 9
    A bit of progress on the sword for tonight;

hoYf9vV.jpg

I'm trying to stick with his color scheme. I had originally planned to use some gold to play off on the yellowish color in some of his other swords, but since yellow doesn't appear to be a main part of his palette, I can skip it.

The engravings in the blade will glow during his ultimate, btw. I kind of want to do the light blue since it matches his eyes, but I think the color that's used in his illumination mask is red.. so that is probably the route I'll go.
  • mrpresident
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrpresident polycounter lvl 10
    I love sven's head on the hilt, nice touch :) I also believe the blue fits him better than the gold.

No criticisms here, can't wait to see the finished product :thumbup:.
  • bewsii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bewsii polycounter lvl 9

I should be done this weekend. Today was my last day for finals, but I still have a Portfolio Show on Wednesday and my Demo reel needs compositing, so they may knock this back down for a day or two. We'll see!
  • Junglehermit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice sword design! I also like the blue hilt. If you're still looking for polys to reduce, maybe in the head area? I'm almost tempted to say you could bake it flat on the hilt with maybe a vertex or two pulled out to give some form just because of how small onscreen it will always be.
  • bewsii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bewsii polycounter lvl 9
    That's actually one of the approaches I took. I also collapsed the edges on the inside of the hand grip and the hilt pieces that are coming up. It changes the base shape from square to triangle, but doesn't effect the siloheutte unless you look really closely, which won't be the case in game.

I'm still pretty new to working with such small poly budgets, so it's frustrating (and fun, lol) to build backwards and figure out where to remove geometry.
  • bewsii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bewsii polycounter lvl 9
    The sword is finished! Thanks to Andrew Helenek for helping me with the masks as I had never done them before, and the presentation art.

gDMtRQ47xFWFqxivT1kfK-EAjY21OhTtLQzt7ALR0lg?size=1280x960

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=132555160

5ubntPX0-ygB_KuFAF4sy3hON71TAfgGW1ckdq3nFJA?size=1280x960

N2fO6YI47-vGR1cOoCKJ7UTiQuu4DKUkGfA5gynAmug?size=1280x960
  • DashXero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DashXero polycounter lvl 11
    Very nice! Very, very nice!

I'm trying to think of something more constructive to say, but sometimes there's nothing more constructive than kudos.
  • bewsii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bewsii polycounter lvl 9
    Haha, thank you.

There are a couple things I wish I could have changed, but the hand positioning of the rig just made it impossible. I'm pleased with how it came out either way though :)
  • bewsii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bewsii polycounter lvl 9
    Finally got around to finishing the UV's for the new courier Helenek and I are working on together. Now I can begin sculpting!

885326_10152175797397366_1322140017_o.jpg

UV's finished for the courier's airplane. Probably not the best UV layout you've ever seen, but I'm still new to doing them.
    906278_10152176869817366_296449809_o.jpg
  • Insaneophobia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Insaneophobia polycounter lvl 5
    bewsii wrote: »
    Finally got around to finishing the UV's for the new courier Helenek and I are working on together. Now I can begin sculpting!

885326_10152175797397366_1322140017_o.jpg

UV's finished for the courier's airplane. Probably not the best UV layout you've ever seen, but I'm still new to doing them.
    906278_10152176869817366_296449809_o.jpg

That is some damn fine sculpting