Home Unreal Engine

UDK 3 point lighting tutorial?

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
darkmanx_429 polycounter lvl 6
Got a minor problem that I was hoping that you guys from the forum could help me with. I have been having major issues with the quality of my renders in UDK while making sample sheets. The problem is that whenever I am done with making an environment I usually just isolate the prop(s) in the scene and either delete or make a emissive material to hide the objects that I don't want in the sheet while using the same lighting. Then I just render the prop by using tiledshot in UDK. It has been suggested to me that my renders our suffering because of whatever lighting that I used in that scene before I tiledshot. It has been suggested that for making sample sheets that I export the prop into a fresh UDK scene and then use a seperate 3 point lighting system to render it with. I get that, but it doesn't seem feasible when I have a giant scene with alot of props to export every prop into a new scene and re-light it. Can someone help me out or point me in a good 3 point lighting tutorial in UDK? Is there a generic 3 point lighting scene that I could just import my props into everytime that I could download? Thanks for everyone's help.
EXAMPLE:
2hgd2le.jpg

Replies

• joeriv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    maybe I am understanding it wrong, but I don't really see the problem or the need to download a scene.

Make a scene, get something for the background (usually something like a big chamferbox with the faces flipped, so that it's basicly a room).
    Then throw 3 lights in there, set them up fairly neutral in terms of positioning, and all other settings such as colour.
    and then save the package/scene.

When you want to do your screenshots, load that package/map and the package with all your props,
    Then just drag in a prop , slightly tweak the lights (depending on size/shape of the prop), (and maybe do ctrl+1 to always have the same view in your scene), tiledshot, and repeat for the others.
  • Harbinger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harbinger polycounter lvl 8
    If you want nice 3 pt lighting, you can disable the light environment on your mesh and use three movable-type lights. That will give you real-time lighting with nice shadows.
  • darkmanx_429
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv wrote: »
    maybe I am understanding it wrong, but I don't really see the problem or the need to download a scene.

Make a scene, get something for the background (usually something like a big chamferbox with the faces flipped, so that it's basicly a room).
    Then throw 3 lights in there, set them up fairly neutral in terms of positioning, and all other settings such as colour.
    and then save the package/scene.

When you want to do your screenshots, load that package/map and the package with all your props,
    Then just drag in a prop , slightly tweak the lights (depending on size/shape of the prop), (and maybe do ctrl+1 to always have the same view in your scene), tiledshot, and repeat for the others.
    Thanks you! I was thinking that too, but unfortunately not everyone shares the same views as me with my eye for making prop sheets. What do you think of the sample sheet above. Could I make the prop bigger? It has been suggested that because I am using so much intricate detail on my sci fi wall, it is being lost because of the small scale of some of the shots. It has been suggested for me to just have only 1 or 2 giant shots of a prop and maybe a small wireframe. I have seen art dumps i.e. Fall Of Cybertron where there are multiple views of the same prop on one sheet but for some reason this doesn't work for me. More suggestions?
  • darkmanx_429
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harbinger wrote: »
    If you want nice 3 pt lighting, you can disable the light environment on your mesh and use three movable-type lights. That will give you real-time lighting with nice shadows.

That is a GREAT idea! I just kinda learned about using real-time lights and moveable static meshes so I don't have to build everytime in UDK recently. So I will try that and make it happen. I will post a updated sample sheets shortly. If anyone has any great links to sample sheets that work (doesn't really matter the artist, as long as they look good) please feel free to share them. Thanks fore everyone's help!
  • darkmanx_429
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    THANKS FOR EVERYONE'S HELP AND SUGGESTIONS!
    314dkbc.jpg