[CE3] Sci-fi Machine Room

Replies

• AkiRa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AkiRa polycounter lvl 6
    @AlexCatMasterSupreme:
    Thanks again.
    I think I understand what you mean and will definately try to do it as you said.

@KennyTies:
    Thanks a lot! :)

Alright, I finished the high poly of the center trubine and will start with the low poly tomorrow. I didn't wanted to go overcrazy with details since I'am planning to use nDo2 to add some more normal map detail in PS later on.

CenterTurbinePresentLo.jpg
  • TheRealFroman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheRealFroman polycounter lvl 11
    Hey man I love these high poly meshes you are showcasing, really awesome stuff! I bet the final images of this environment are going to be great if you keep working at this level!
  • Borgleader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Borgleader polycounter lvl 6
    Epic turbine is epic. Keep it up!
  • AkiRa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AkiRa polycounter lvl 6
    @TheRealFroman:
    Thank you! :)

@Borgleader:
    Thanks!

Alright, I've baked down the trubine and brought it into the engine. AO and normal only as usual atm.

Editor2013031419482953.jpg

Editor2013031419485707.jpg

Editor2013031419484106.jpg

Next I'll start with the low poly of the generators.

C&C is really appreciated. :)
  • Holland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Holland polycounter lvl 9
    Awesome work! Can't wait to see this finished. Can i ask which cryengine build you're using?
  • AkiRa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AkiRa polycounter lvl 6
    I'am using version 3.4.3 Build 5047.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    AkiRa wrote: »
    I'am using version 3.4.3 Build 5047.

You know two versions have come out since. Sorry for nagging you keep it up. I wanna see it textured.:)
  • AkiRa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AkiRa polycounter lvl 6
    No prob AlexCatMasterSupreme, I'am thankful for any useful info/crit. :)
    Yep, I know. I think about updating but I don't know if my level files will still work with the new version.
  • Treboras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Treboras polycounter lvl 12
    Yep, I know. I think about updating but I don't know if my level files will still work with the new version.

make the update for your next project. If there isn't any feature or improvement you desperately need, I would not change the version during development.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Yeah like said there isn't a major reason too but it would work so why not and if it didnt for whatever reason you can just re-open the old version.
  • AkiRa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AkiRa polycounter lvl 6
    @Treboras:
    That's the plan. Thanks. :)

@AlexCatMasterSupreme:
    I've already downloaded the new version and will try it. But I think I stay with 3.4.3 for this project. :)

No update, but a litte...hm...kind of announcement. :P

Since my personal deadline is the 8th of April, and I have massive problems with the bake of the generators, I decided to not use them and make the whole thing a bit smaller cause reaching the deadline were impossible otherwise...not to speak of fixing all the errors of the bake. Apart from that, the overdetailed generators would not look really good in there because of simply too much detail overall.
    Instead I'll use parts of the generators and build some new, simpler structures around them.

Here is how it looks smaller and without the generators:

Editor2013031616270416.jpg

And here's a picture of the super, ultra, ugly, shitty bake of the generator:

term1.PNG

I hope I can get the rest done properly.
    Thanks in advance for any kind of comments! :)
  • AkiRa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AkiRa polycounter lvl 6
    Alright, some small update. Ignore the colors, these are just some glow map playarounds.

Finally I've did the entrance and the door.

Editor2013031814143497.jpg

Editor2013031814143938.jpg

I did the roof

Editor2013031814145004.jpg

and I blocked out a new piece of center machinery -not as half as complex as the generators- which I'll use instead of the generators.

Editor2013031814150828.jpg

Thanks for any C&C! :)
  • ZeroNight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZeroNight polycounter lvl 5
    Some progress. :)

Editor2013030820191031.jpg

C&C is really welcome! :)

The scene is nothing short of amazing so far, way better than I could ever hope to do myself. One thing I noticed though that might be able to help if you want it to run faster is the sheer amount of dynamic shadows from that vent. The Cryengine's dynamic shadows sometimes look a little fuzzy and they really slow things down. In this particular case, you might want to actually try assigning a texture to a red light. It would speed things up and fix the noise on the shadows at once. If you want to see an example of this being done, open up the default forest level and look at the river's caustics on the rocks. This was done before they added the new caustic system in Crysis 3, and uses a textured light to fake it.
  • AkiRa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AkiRa polycounter lvl 6
    @ZeroNight:
    Thanks a lot!
    I'll definatley try your tipp, when it comes to the lighting! Thanks again! :)

Okay, another update. Please ignore the colors.
    The wall supports, the main machine in the middle of the back, the terminals and the control room are still left to do.
    When they're done, I'll start with the texturing and block out a basic colorscheme first. Probably going for a orange, white and black scheme overall.

Editor2013031922114521.jpg

Editor2013031922112938.jpg

Editor2013031922113647.jpg

Any C&C is appreciated! :)
  • denkain
  • Borgleader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    woot so much detail and awesomeness, keep it up :D
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like it, except for the lights:P They are all over and don't really add in a positive way unless you want the colors all over. The orange ones look good, the red is...red and the green looks like candy.
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wester polycounter lvl 13
    This is EPIC!

One thing I would wait on is the Glowy bits. I would texture everything first and then think about the glowing parts as the bloom will most definitely get in the way of you being able to accurately see the textures ingame. They're way too strong and pull the eye which will make it tough to texture.

Great progress though!
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wester wrote: »
    This is EPIC!

One thing I would wait on is the Glowy bits. I would texture everything first and then think about the glowing parts as the bloom will most definitely get in the way of you being able to accurately see the textures ingame. They're way too strong and pull the eye which will make it tough to texture.

Great progress though!

This is pretty much what I was trying to say. Glow is one of those things that makes or breaks the scene depending on how you do it.
  • AkiRa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AkiRa polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks for the kind words guys! :)

@AlexCatMasterSupreme:
    Thank you. As I said, those glowing stuff was just some playaround I couldn't resist to do. I don't plan to leave it like this in the final scene.

@wester:
    Thanks a lot! :)
    What you said, is the plan. Texturing first, lighting later. And as I said...the colors are just fun and not supposed to be in the final scene.
    btw: I really took a lot of inspiration from your Arcadia Moon Colony! Really, really awesome stuff!
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wester polycounter lvl 13
    AkiRa Ah yeah i should probably read your posts before critiquing them ha. Thanks man! I'm going to get back to it soon :D Glad I could inspire you!
  • AkiRa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AkiRa polycounter lvl 6
    @wester:
    I have to thank YOU for making such awesome stuff! :)

Alright, hopefully the last black/white pictures in this thread. I've finished of the rest of the stuff and will start with the first color blockout tomorrow.
    Here are the pics of the final "AO pass"^^

Editor2013032103154922.jpg

Editor2013032103162643.jpg

Editor2013032103155480.jpg

Editor2013032103160365.jpg

Editor2013032103161385.jpg

As you can see the machine in the middle of the back is not as half as complex as the generators was. Quite simple stuff but I kinda like it.
    If left the front of the control room pretty clean since I don't want to overdetail everything with normal map detail. I've heard often that the eyes need some place to rest on. :)

If anyone got any tipps for texturing, they're very appreciated! :)
    Thanks in advance!
  • KennyTies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, that AO pass. Just Awesome,great Work! I personally would not go to overboard with the texturing. Cant wait to see this textured.
  • Zepic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zepic polycounter lvl 11
    In my personal opinion. I would texture more like what Simon Fuchs did with his latest portfolio piece.

http://www.simonfuchs.net/folio/project06.htm

Maybe stray from the tired, noisy weathered look we've seen for the past few years. :) Personally, I think even a slightly noisy diffuse would ruin this scene because it would get too noisy for the eye.

You've got a lot going on with the hi to low poly so really emphazise that with the lighting and some of the more advanced shaders (like POM, tesselation etc). Bring it out, make those details pop. :)

Anyway, that's just my opinion.
    This scene is look amazing. Can't wait to see where you go with it. :)
  • Zepic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zepic polycounter lvl 11
    Check out this guy, I'm sure you're familiar with his work.

http://www.peperaart.com/

He does a lot of hard surface machinery type stuff. Might be a good inspiration for your textures and lighting. :)
  • AkiRa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AkiRa polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks and also thanks for the tipps! :)
    I've deciced to make it a little bit more grimey than originally planned and saw this also as a chance to try dDo for the first time. Not really dirty but since its a machine room with big machinery in it, it would be a bit unrealistic to make it super clean as Simon Fuchs' great work was. Further, I'am really not good at texturing and this is my first try to texture a whole sci-fi scene.

I'am going to use POM on most of the meshes but first I want to bring up a good color scheme.

And yep, I know Paul Pepera, he's one of the greatest hard surface modellers I know! Simply awesome. His work was also a major inspiration for me!

Okay, but now some pictures:

Editor2013032121431669.jpg

Editor2013032121430673.jpg

Editor2013032121430251.jpg

This is where I'am at the moment trying to find a good color scheme. Lights are just some simple white lights to see the normals which you haven't seen in the AO pass because of the flat lighting.

Any C&C is really appreciated! :)
    Thanks in advance!
  • Treboras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The white is a little bit too strong and washes out a lot details. So if you really want to test normal maps, go for a more neutral lighting. And for good and quick color selection decisions I would take a good screenshot to photoshop and play around a little bit.
  • AkiRa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AkiRa polycounter lvl 6
    Thank you for the tipp, Treboras! :)

Okay, I seem to get a little bit stuck right now what you clearly can see on those pictures:

Editor2013032201031524.jpg

Editor2013032201030709.jpg

Editor2013032201032918.jpg

I know it looks really horrible atm texture, color and lighting wise but modelling all the stuff is one thing, texturing etc another. What do you think?
    I know I should wait with the glowing stuff but I wanted to see how the glow would look in the end where I planned it so I tried it.

Thanks in advance for any kind of help! :)
  • Borgleader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    All I can say is woohooo colors! :) However the glow is too strong imo. Otherwise, keep at it!
  • Arizia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I only just found this thread....some inspiring stuff being done here. I'm making a sci fi environment myself atm and i really hope i can get it to a standard like this. Keep it up! :D
  • e-freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    woha, the textures help a lot in conveying the space. keep it up :)
  • mariomanzanares
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mariomanzanares polycounter lvl 5
    Nice work. Colors are great but you should focus in just 3 or so. Too much hues are not good if you see things from a perspective. I mean, you have a dark and a light color, and then you have orange and red. Why not just made just one red/orange color? It's hard to explain because I'm not English native speaker, but I'm going to make a color scheme for you:

colorrr.jpg

I hate to say this, but less is more in color. I think you should avoid meshy color schemes, so I propose: Use orange just for details, and the two variations for small details, gradients and special stuff. I don't know if you are looking for some design advice like this, but if you are, you can use this as a reference, tweak the colors or even use my scheme (I would feel very flattered).

EDIT: I'm checking again this thread and I have to say that your color scheme and mine are pretty the same. It's in the final composition with the red light when everything gets weird.

Beyond this, I'm working in a sci-fy scenary for Unity and your work is very inspiring for me. You can see what I'm doing and some advice would be great! :)
    Check my thread here, please: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=118642
  • AkiRa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AkiRa polycounter lvl 6
    @Borgleader:
    Thank you! The glow is not final yet, just testing around. :)

@Arizia:
    Thank you! But I'am a beginner myself so you should have no problems getting to my..."standard"^^

@e-freak:
    Thanks a lot!

@mariomanzanares:
    Thank you. I just use one color on my textures atm just in case so I can switch them easily if I want to. The lights are also not final, I am going to tweak them a lot.
    Your colorscheme is really cool and I took it as a hint for the work I did today.
    Also sorry for the late reply, I'am going to check your thread immediately, trying to help where I can.

Alright, what did I today?
    I got a bit further on the textures for the actual machine room but also thought about the final presentation and thought it would be cool, if I had a corridor leading to the machine room. The thought turned into an idea and -since I have enough time left unitl the deadline- turned into a small, simple corridor in front of the room.
    There will be a door between the corridor an the machine room soon until I figured out how to animate a sliding door in CE3...still very new to that stuff.

Okay, enough talking, time for some pictures!

Editor2013032301400102.jpg

Editor2013032301400549.jpg

Editor2013032301402934.jpg

Editor2013032301401931.jpg

Editor2013032301403859.jpg

The first two pictures show the corridor which leads to the room. Super simple as I said. I'am planning to put a big cable on one side of the corridor and throw some simple pipes under the glass on the ground. Also I plan to do a unique kinda machine like prop which will be "attached" to one or two of the walls to break up the repetetiveness a bit.

In the machine room itself, not much has changed today sine the corridor took a bit longer than I expected.

Okay, that's it for now. Curious to hear what you guys think!
    Thanks in advance! :)
  • AkiRa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AkiRa polycounter lvl 6
    Okay, corridors almost done. Just the pipes under glass are missing.

Editor2013032319424520.jpg

Editor2013032319430348.jpg

Thanks in advance for any C&C! :)
  • Borgleader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Those are some pretty sick shots :) Nice progress!
  • ThaSlimShady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ThaSlimShady polycounter lvl 4
    Holy... nice one! Amazing quality!
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I looks good but you need to work on the colors man. Like you've had this whole time the colors are all over. I really love the direction this is going but that is what is holding this scene back.

I think this has so much potential but it is falling short of what you could do with it.
    I feel that you have so many random dark and light spots in the scene that don't make sense as to why they are that bright/dark.

Look at how the light and focal points and detail are put in here. http://halo.bungie.net/images/Games/Halo3ODST/imagery/screenshots/WHMBEC/highres/H3ODST_Heretic_env-01.jpg

you can find this in many games, mass effect, ect.

RxMiQ5d.jpg

I noticed you said you liked what wester was making and used it for inspiration, I would look at how he distributes color and details (and lights). If you like your lights those colors that's your thing but I for one do not. I think you're going in the right direction though so keep it up.

Also it's the red lights that I feel need to go specifically, the rest seem fine.

Again not tryning to be annoying just give my opinion and be helpful.
  • AkiRa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AkiRa polycounter lvl 6
    Thank you so much for your kind words guys! I really appreciate it! :D

@AlexCatMasterSupreme:
    You're absolutley right with what you saying! Thanks a lot for the picture you posted since it gave me a really good sense on what you mean and how I can improve stuff! You're absolutley not annoying, on the contrary your posts are really helpful! Thanks again!
    I've took a look again at wester's stuff, the pic you posted and some Mass Effect screenies I have and tried to "replicate" their way of lighting a bit better.

Okay, sine update:
    As I said, I've reworked the lighting a bit and made it all look more consistent and uniform through the colors of the lights. Further I've pretty much done with texturing now and need to tweak the materials to make them really pop (like POM, Tesselation, etc...) and push the glow/bloom a bit more in the right direction. Also I want to go over the glass again since I'am not really happy with it yet.

Okay, here are some new pictures: (sorry that I post so much pics!)

editor2013032516182448.jpg

editor2013032516181313.jpg

editor2013032516162946.jpg

editor2013032516162328.jpg

editor2013032516160887.jpg

editor2013032516160052.jpg

editor2013032516155001.jpg

editor2013032516153385.jpg

Really curious to hear what you think!
    Thanks in advance! :D
  • Treboras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You are doing absolutely great, but I miss a little bit of focus. My eye is drawn from one end to the other and does not find a resting place. Everything is lit, everything in focus. Maybe tune down the lights on the side and place a bright light in the middle to the engine ... or something like that :D

Maybe I'm wrong. Let's see what others have to say about this.
  • Borgleader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice progress, this is getting better an better. Keep at it!
  • digital3ds
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This looks great... very cool
  • pixelpatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    8589507409_727c501b60_b.jpg

A lot of work has obviously gone into this, but like others have said your pallet and your lighting model is so over the top that the viewer really has no focal point. Ideally good lighting should lead the player.

Take this image for example, there are really only three things of importance (at least from what I see) to spend the money on lighting, the doors along the corridor cause they are leading the player from one staircase to the next staircase, the ships logo or name, and the exit or computer node at the top of the balcony (sorry can't really tell what it is).

All the other lights in the scene could either be off or be so low as to not registering a light source. Remember a full range of light is always going to have more of an impact. I know you spent the hours modeling that roof area, as well as considering the lighting for it. But ask yourself this? How many warehouses have you been in where the ceilings are fully lit? Few if any, because those areas of a space tend to be unused and unimportant not only from a visual standpoint, but from a practical one as well. They are not illuminated cause people do not work in those spaces, the floor is lit, as well as common areas. Think about areas as practical living spaces as well as functional workplaces when your doing your lighting, and I guarantee you'll yield better results.

Shadows and subtle shades can have just as much of an impact as a light with the emmisive cranked. Tell us a story, where should we be looking and why?
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

A lot of work has obviously gone into this, but like others have said your pallet and your lighting model is so over the top that the viewer really has no focal point. Ideally good lighting should lead the player.

Take this image for example, there are really only three things of importance (at least from what I see) to spend the money on lighting, the doors along the corridor cause they are leading the player from one staircase to the next staircase, the ships logo or name, and the exit or computer node at the top of the balcony (sorry can't really tell what it is).

All the other lights in the scene could either be off or be so low as to not registering a light source. Remember a full range of light is always going to have more of an impact. I know you spent the hours modeling that roof area, as well as considering the lighting for it. But ask yourself this? How many warehouses have you been in where the ceilings are fully lit? Few if any, because those areas of a space tend to be unused and unimportant not only from a visual standpoint, but from a practical one as well. They are not illuminated cause people do not work in those spaces, the floor is lit, as well as common areas. Think about areas as practical living spaces as well as functional workplaces when your doing your lighting, and I guarantee you'll yield better results.

Shadows and subtle shades can have just as much of an impact as a light with the emmisive cranked. Tell us a story, where should we be looking and why?

I have to agree with this and like this lighting model. I realllly think you should ditch the red too. I feel like youre heading in a great direction just struggling with making a cohesive feel, where all the parts fit well together in style (which can be the hardest thing when making an environment). I feel there is much smooth shading going on and you should really keep working on that lighting.

In fact I would save out a copy of your level file and delete all the lights, and just do that a few times, then make a whole new lighting setup for each level file.

There is a lot of visual noise going on still that makes it hard to really focus, you have such a variation of hues going on that it's very distracting. You have a solid base but you need to work on the colors, textures, and lighting.
    REMEMBER: Less is more.

I'm also glad that I could be helpful!
    HnHb6SE.jpg
    7S77iZy.jpg
  • oscar3dart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oscar3dart polycounter lvl 6
    Can we see your flats?
  • Zepic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zepic polycounter lvl 11
    Whoa AkiRa, front page of Crydev.net! Keep it up man!

http://www.crydev.net/newspage.php?news=106903
  • AkiRa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AkiRa polycounter lvl 6
    @pixelpatron:
    Thanks for your critique! I'll just tried to light almost every area of this environment but royally failed as you can see. I really like your paintover! It gives everything some more depth and and way better readablility! Thanks a lot for that!

@AlexCatMasterSupreme:
    Thank you, too! I'll definatley do that with different level files and different lighting to see what works best! I'll try to apply pixelpatron and your critiques and post some completley "new" scenes tomorrow! :D

About the shading errors I'll try to fix them with reassigning the smoothing groups.
    But with some meshes that will be a big problem since I was dumb enough to merge my max file (which contained all the high poly stuff and most of the other meshes) with a new file and didn't knew that the old file will be deleted after merging so most of the stuff is gone for good...
    I've tried to restore the file but had no luck so...shit happens. I can try to use the meshes I already have in the engine but the .obj files which come out, when you use the .obj export in CryEngine are really messed up. I try to fix what I can but the time is running out...
    I know its my own fault and that I had should know that "MERGE" means exactly that but yes...shit happens.

@oscar3dart:
    Sure, but I have to say that they're not very optimized. Which flats you would like to see exactly?

@Zepic:
    Thanks! Yep I know it got featured but thats not a really deserved feature :D
  • Brygelsmack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    @Zepic:
    Heh... Now you're out fishing... It's all coming together nicely. It's well deserved.
  • AkiRa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AkiRa polycounter lvl 6
    Heh... Now you're out fishing... It's all coming together nicely. It's well deserved.

Hehe, thanks man! But really...technically this is really bad...there could be so much optimization done on this...but I'am a really noob when it comes to technical optimization and hope to learn that soon...
  • Zepic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zepic polycounter lvl 11

@Zepic:

Hey now, it's looking awesome and you're learning a ton, it's well deserved. You also motivated me to get back to work on my portfolio piece. :)