• Rhoutermans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhoutermans polycounter lvl 12
  • Rhoutermans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another night of adding props and messing around with lighting :)

screen4zz.jpg

screen3gg.jpg

screen2eww.jpg

screen1opd.jpg

//===================================================================

Recorded a stream for this;

http://www.twitch.tv/khazual/b/400113237

End result @ 2:46:50 including me making this post like a scrub
  • Rhoutermans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Working on some other props and trying to push the scene more

hallwayb.jpg

hallwayo.jpg

Also streaming it on twitch @ http://www.twitch.tv/khazual
  • Rhoutermans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    decided to put some more work into this and push it more towards something useable on my portfolio.

Redoing the lighting atm and adding some more props/ improving on excisting ones in the next couple days/weeks.

I'm having trouble with the dom dir light, no matter how many bounces I add in the lightmass world properties the light from the dom dir is just not enough to light the entire room. Right now the lights on the ceiling are all emitting light aswell which I don't really want.
    Anyone have any tips for me about this? Will post some settings tonight.

Thanks for checking it out!

2lib.jpg

q50l.jpg

fe2t.jpg
  • tkfxity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't know if this was intentional, but the lights in your first and second picture are hanging from the ceiling, but in the last picture (Looks like a second room) the light is attached to the ceiling. Also the wall with the damage on it in the hallways looks weird, the damage sort of looks like a huge bullet went through a sheet of metal. Everything else looks pretty good, digging this scene.
  • Rhoutermans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hahaha I have no idea why but well spotted tkfxity, on the last screenshot the ceiling is not high enough. I'll redo that wall, been getting a lot of feedback on it, time for some change :) Thanks for the feedback
  • Endfinity Jon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Endfinity Jon polycounter lvl 8
    I'm having trouble with the dom dir light, no matter how many bounces I add in the lightmass world properties the light from the dom dir is just not enough to light the entire room. Right now the lights on the ceiling are all emitting light aswell which I don't really want.
    Anyone have any tips for me about this? Will post some settings tonight.

I ran into this issue on a lighting only project I did a while back, a decrepit building with very little pockets for light to come through. I pushed and pulled settings for a while and had to stop when I could no longer achieve the strength that I needed. However, for me, that was step one. Your directional usually can't create all the interest that you need in a scene.

It's funny I just pimped this a few moments ago, but I think you might find this blog post very useful as I ran into a similar issue with a piece:

http://jcricreate.blogspot.com/2013/03/tutorial-lighting-workflow-tips.html

I'd suggest reading the whole thing if you're new to lighting, but if you want more of the specifics, about midway into the entry, I describe how my directional was only pushing the scene so far and that I needed to supplement a bit more. This is something that you're going to need to do to keep that light entering the scene even more. I ended up placing points and/or spots in areas where the light was dissipating and used them to further push some more light into the scene.

As you've said, I would shy away from filling the scene with lighting from the cieling because as I've looked over this scene today and in the few times past, I've noticed that it has a tendency to lack a strong focal point. Models and materials can only get you so far, it's really about how your light your piece and present your composition that really grabs our eye. In a lot of your images right now, my eye jumps around the scene because there's multiple sources of light or similar value ranges on multiple objects. This is making things seem a bit muddled.

Focus on setting up 3 strong cameras and then really try and see what kind of story you can tell the player within each of those. Let the lighting draw the eye, not distract it. You have a lot of competing sources, and in the end, I tend to gaze around the scene and never rest on an intriguing focal point. Think about using silhouettes to frame areas of high interest light. Maybe start your lighting pass anew, try to really push your warm exterior light into the scene and supplement it with additional lights if need be. Once you've established that broad stroke, add in a few practical sources to draw the players eye in the direction you want them to go/look. It might be handy to desaturate your scene and get a feel for your values, your eye tends to look past darks to brights so having a strong bright point in the midst of darks would instantly add a punch of interest that I think the scene lacks because of the overall amount of light.

I know I just threw down a ton of quick info, hit me up if you have any questions.

Good luck to you, can't wait to see where you go with this!
    -Jon
  • Rhoutermans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I read through your blogpost, I was actually using some of those techniques last night, liking the explanation on the activation of objects, especially around the areas where the light enteres an area, Will try that out tonight.

Right now I've completely lighted this room with just the dom dir light. I've also activated the light in the hallway;

ihqv.jpg

I think there's two or three focal points now just looking at the screen. I'm not really a lighting artist (okey, really not). But it's fun to learn a bit more about this stuff, presenting artwork in a correct way is 80% of the work in the end.

Thanks for your feedback, much appreciated :)
  • Rhoutermans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    think I'm a bit closer to calling this done
    replaced the papers on the floor, added some more ground clutter, dust particles, and redid the lighting for the 100th time~

1vfy.jpg
    f49p.jpg
    9abb.jpg

Learned a lot with this small environment, time for something different. Thanks for the feedback thus far, however feedback is always welcome at any stage ;)