Home Technical Talk

HUD/image overlay camera effect 3ds max

Is there a way to get the camera overlay an image onto the rendered image(s)/video?

Or, if not, how would I do this in video post? The issue is, I need to be able to do it If i'm rendering a series of images, which I am complling into a GIF.

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Video Post is a PITA, a very very bad interface.

You could render from the Material Editor. Set up a Composite map with all the layers you want, right-click on the sample sphere, Render Map.

If you want to overlay an image on top of the 3d scene, you could put a plane right in front of the camera and put a transparent material on it.

Best way though is to composite in another tool. Besides, Max makes horrible GIFs, the palette matching is really horrible.
  • Jabberwockxeno
    Video Post is a PITA, a very very bad interface.

You could render from the Material Editor. Set up a Composite map with all the layers you want, right-click on the sample sphere, Render Map.

If you want to overlay an image on top of the 3d scene, you could put a plane right in front of the camera and put a transparent material on it.

Best way though is to composite in another tool. Besides, Max makes horrible GIFs, the palette matching is really horrible.

I ended up having to do the "use a plane with a transparent PNGs., but the PNG has horrible artifacts and pixelation on the alpha channel, it seems.

But in the viewport, it looks fine.

I'm using the Halo 3 HUD, right now, as a temporary stand in.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Use a TGA instead, no compression artifacts.
  • Jabberwockxeno
    Use a TGA instead, no compression artifacts.

The issue is he source file I have is a jpg.