Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

UDK sci fi ghetto

iangoold3d
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
iangoold3d polycounter lvl 5
what up poly count,

ive been working on this project for about 2 weeks and i am hitting a metal road block. the project is inspired by Tor Frick aka "Snefer"'s sci fi slum.

let me know what u guys think, im looking for an idea on a hero prop
any comments are welcome

6_zps10ea7815.jpg

Replies

• Mik2121
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mik2121 polycounter lvl 9
    I like the amount of detail, but it looks like the scene is almost during the sunset, yet the light is quite white. It could also be the fog... anyway, I would probably play around with the lighting some more.

Edit - Regarding the hero prop... what about lowering the camera a bit, then add some sort of gate in the railing, and have a floating car or soemthing? :P You might have to play around with the camera a bit though... and if you make the light a bit more orange and then have other lights (red, blue, etc..) coming from the car, it could look quite neat!.
  • Fansub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fansub sublime tool
    That a really nice scene you have !
    But like Mik2121 said,you should tweak more the lights till you get a sci-fi lighting scene .
    The balcony is quite empty,maybe you should add some props there

good luck :)
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 15
    Add in some garbage, debris, graffiti, around the scene. Doesn't look dirty enough to be a slum yet.

Maybe not a hero prop, but flying cars would be a cool way to fill up the right side.

Cool scene so far :)
  • warxsnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warxsnake polycounter lvl 8
    Awesome start. Add in some neon lit signs, vendors, bars and so on to give the scene more color and life, while giving the environment a more seedy look. Garbage as well as others have said.
    Just do a img ref search on real ghettos and sci fi them up.

blade+runner+mute_concept_art.jpg

This is a bit too clean but you get the idea.
    Concept-Art-Sid-Mead.jpg
  • Broadway
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Broadway polycounter lvl 9
    Nice details! Here are some ideas:

There should be some kind of trim on the walkway, probably all along the meeting with the walls and fence, but at least at the base of the doors so that they can remove panels and do maintenance on the area where the doors slide along the ground.

If it's a housing area there are probably kids/pets running around and since the fence is blocking an infinite pit it will be kind of dangerous to have those big gaps in it. Maybe add some wires or mesh or something so it's still see-through but more safe.

The fence feels pretty flimsy, like if you leaned against it it would snap and you would fall to your death. Try to beef up the supports and extend them out of the lower wall a bit.

Same with the bridges, I don't think they could even support their own weight. They need some kind of suspension or supports to hold them. Since you have those cool pipes along the walls it might be cool to run them along the bridges too.

This could be a stylistic choice you've made, but the whole area feels really flat. You could take some of the shapes you have in the foreground and add larger versions to the background to break up all those straight lines.

Like Mik2121 mentioned the light is really white. To me it feels like this would look nice with some yellow/orangish light.

Keep it up!
  • Optinium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Optinium polycounter
    I'd try and add some debris/rubbish a long the main path. A flying police vehicle in the foreground would fit nicely to methinks, something akin to Fifth Element.

Lowering the camera and tilting it up would make the scene look a lot bigger to, if the buildings do have a vertical finish then you could maybe put a larger building behind/above them looking down on the rest all imposing like.
  • iangoold3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks you everybody for the feedback, ill be working hard to keep in mind all your guys suggestions. i decided to model out a garbage truck to help fill up some space , as u can tell im going for a 5th element kind of vibe.

here is the low poly, any suggestions before i begin the high poly ?

car_zpsc1bb274e.jpg
    car2_zpsbda36f10.jpg
    car3_zpsb7e9b2fd.jpg
    car4_zpsb77ca8fe.jpg

thanks in advance
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    I think you should add a lot of cables on the right to make it more dynamic,
    also the font you use for the house is unappropiate. It looks good on itself, but
    it has the looks of a logo for a Zombie Game or something, its really illustrative
    and dosnt have that Industrial feel you should aim for.

Also be careful with yellow. Theres Yellow and theres Citron Yellow. And there are worlds between.
    Your citron really bites with the warm red you use for rust, you maybe should try a real complementary color as
    accent, or even go towards more mixed colors.
  • Aerashi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aerashi polycounter lvl 9
    Looking nice. I'd probably play with the walkways you've got going off in to the distance. Don't have them all on the same level, same with the edges of the buildings. Everything lines up perfectly, I think that's why it's feeling less "slum" like. Get some clothes hanging from the walkways too, and some graffiti.

I'd also love to see one of Ian McQue's ships docked in the foreground :D
  • iangoold3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok guys so this is where im at as of now, im slowly working on what u guys recommended, as always feed back welcome :)

oh and i got the garbage truck in there with no texture. still working on high poly

dignd_zps89aeca33.jpg
  • iangoold3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    some progress, starting to trash it up, any ideas or suggestions are welcome

fgfffffff_zps1d158388.jpg

truck2_zpsc96a6c3b.jpg
  • iangoold3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • shrogg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shrogg polycounter lvl 12
    I love what you are doing here!
    can't wait to see some more vehicles flying around, Perhaps a police chase or a robbery happening in the background?
    Atm i feel that it is too clean, seems like there should be some moss or other grime in the cracks of the building, Also smoke and fumes coming out of some of those vents :)
  • refriedspinach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    refriedspinach polycounter lvl 3
    itll be really sweet to see where this goes! has sort of a fifth element/ dredd feel to it.

shrogg has some good ideas for it.