Home Technical Talk

Zbrush Move brush limited to very short range.

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Z3NZY polycounter lvl 7
Hi. In my zbrush, I'm trying to use the move tool but it's range is super short. It's just a short move then nothing.
It's really annoying since, well no move brush. Any ideas for what this could be?

Replies

• cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    mesh might be too big?
  • Z3NZY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Z3NZY polycounter lvl 7
    ??? how do you mean.
    I'm also working on a character if that helps.
  • rogueNoodle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Off the top of my head, you may have some sort of automasking activated on the brush. Have you tried resetting your brushes to their defaults?

And is it happening on all meshes or just the mesh where you first noticed it?
  • Z3NZY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Z3NZY polycounter lvl 7
    I just tried resetting all the brushes hasn't worked. Also restarted the program, and my laptop. That hasn't worked either.

I only have 1 mesh at the moment as well.

It's like the move tool moves in a small radius. but thats the limit. I've tried working with it, but it's really annoying. I never realized how much of a nuisance it would be not to have it.
  • Mistform05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Try to go to deformations and use the Unify option.
  • Z3NZY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Z3NZY polycounter lvl 7
    Mistform05: Lol, everything disappears. Was a little worried for a second there.
    Did an undo and tried again, still can't move properly.
  • Mistform05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When it disappears press F to frame your mesh. It might just be shrinking down to the grid. I had the same issue as you the other day, and the unify did the trick for me.
  • Z3NZY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Z3NZY polycounter lvl 7
    Mistform05 wrote: »
    When it disappears press F to frame your mesh. It might just be shrinking down to the grid. I had the same issue as you the other day, and the unify did the trick for me.

So yeah, where do I address this massive hug and free piggy back ride to.
    I can use the move brush again yaaaaaaaaaaaaaay.
  • mod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mod polycounter lvl 11
    But unify changes the whole scale of the model right? I'm also getting this short move brush when working with models transfered from max using goz. When I import the same model with obj the move brush works fine because the scale of me model is way way smaller.
  • Z3NZY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Z3NZY polycounter lvl 7
    Ummm. when i go up or down a subdevision, my mesh explodes. How do I stop that?
  • Z3NZY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Z3NZY polycounter lvl 7
    Nvm for me, I think it's 'cause I had parts hidden.

Mod:
    I was using goz as well, I imported that goz model into zbrush as an obj after I was fine with it. Maybe that's how I got this issue.
    I started the goz process from max and not zbrush if that adds any useful information.
  • Mistform05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm glad I could help, I'm trying to post more often on polycount... as I have been just a stalker/reader for a while lol.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Z3NZY wrote: »
    ??? how do you mean.
    I'm also working on a character if that helps.

Big as in large, the scale of it
  • Kidd Kosmonaut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kidd Kosmonaut polycounter lvl 5
    I am having the same issues. Bringing a model in from 3dsMax via GoZ and brush size is ineffectively small. I prefer the GoZ method just because in this case my model has multiple meshes and GoZ brings in each mesh on its own layer rather then an obj import that puts them all on the same layer. Sounds like the thread consensus is using the Unify option. I went ahead and gave it a go but since my model is made up of multiple meshes the unify method didn't maintain the scale and position relative to each other. I was wondering how you apply a fix to this situation with a model that has multiple meshes? I was also wondering how this effects scale because my model is already rigged and has morph targets back in Max and I would prefer to not disturb that if possible.
  • aintnobody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aintnobody polycounter lvl 3
    I am having the same issues. Bringing a model in from 3dsMax via GoZ and brush size is ineffectively small.

I'm doing a burger tutorial and I'm having this exact same issue too. I did the bun in 3ds Max and it is 24cm wide in diameter. Gozed it to Zbrush and the brush size at 33 is the size of a pin head. Even if I push it to the max, it's still small comparatively to my object. If a 24cm wide object dwarfs the brush size that much, am I supposed to work on a millimeter scale ???

de1khu.png

PS. I tried Gozing a similar scale object from Maya, and it was the same.
  • Bartalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    If you disable the Dynamic button above the Draw Size slider, the cursor reverts to a screen-space size rather than a size relative to how close you are to the surface of your model (sort of like how Photoshop's brushes behave).
  • aintnobody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aintnobody polycounter lvl 3
    Bartalon wrote: »
    If you disable the Dynamic button above the Draw Size slider, the cursor reverts to a screen-space size rather than a size relative to how close you are to the surface of your model (sort of like how Photoshop's brushes behave).

THANK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU !!! :)
  • Der Hollander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoZ is also essentially the devil. From my experience, if you're working in Max and you GoZ back and forth, the scale gets buggered somehow and you basically can't use the Move brush. Exporting an OBJ is the most bulletproof way of eliminating any loss of functionality in ZBrush.
  • monkeybit29
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monkeybit29 polycounter lvl 8
    So glad I came across this, I was having a similar problem and unifying + F really helped. Thanks!
  • CharacterCarl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CharacterCarl greentooth
    It seems there is a fix for the scale issues that happen when transferring from other apps into ZBrush. Using the 'scale' setting under 'Export' is what did it for me. Contrary to what it says in the sub-menu, this seems to be true for import as well.

RJZFM7n.png

No brush size problems so far. Can someone confirm this is working on their side as well or is it just me?
  • morgus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    morgus null
    So hit "dynamic" by brush size.  Or shift then hit dynamic button and should fix it. 
  • morgus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    morgus null
    Hit shift and the dynamic button by the brush size slider fixed it for me. 
  • Acute
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Acute polycounter lvl 8
    This is a problem whenever your model is physically too large for Zbrush's scaling settings. You can normally use things like unify and repeat it to all your subtools to shrink things down the way zbrush likes it. Or you can shft-click dynamic on the upper right of the draw size tool (hit s or spacebar) which will give you a bigger brush. This screws up how the move brush works however, preventing it from moving in anything but short bursts. If you need your objects to maintain their scale for purposes of working on something in max or maya I'd just try exporting your tools as objs from zbrush, open up a new instance of the program with no subtools loaded and re-import everything. This seems to keep the scale of everything intact but now zbrush doesn't think they're ginormous anymore. 
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    I recently bought the Styx plugin. It was posted here on PC. It basically 'copys' the .obj to the clipboard, and you can 'paste' it into any other application. So you can just jump mehes from Max to Zbrush to Headus to Maya and the scale is retained. You set up the scale once and it's pretty much GoZ without the naming mismatch errors or scaling issues. Been using it for a few weeks now and it works perfectly. Real-world scale between Max and ZB with absolutely no scale issues. Best 5 quid I ever spent.
  • Christian Fischer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Christian Fischer polycounter lvl 5
    hey guys,
    has anyone found a solution to this issue without scaling the model itself?
    or without having to create a new scene and import every object > reconstruct subdiv > loosing all layers, etc.
    cheers chris