Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My Character Art video tutorial series now online!

Replies

• TheDarkKnight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheDarkKnight polycounter lvl 13
    Looks awesome Hai, bought the second volume, can't wait to watch it.

Would love to see you just sculpt a head or something and narrate it.
    Love your style and would love to pick up some tips.
  • jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    Awesome Hai.. Great stuff man! can't wait to watch. Thanks for taking the time to do this :)
  • CyberGameArts
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CyberGameArts polycounter lvl 7
    never mind. My questions have been answered :D
  • Fusobotic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fusobotic polycounter lvl 6
    Wow, the first part has so many useful tips in it! Will the rest of the series be cheaper to buy all together, or should I go ahead and buy part 2 first?
  • mat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mat
    really great video and superb model! watched the first part and will pick up the second session.. your voice is so calm and soothing
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    CyberGameArts: I'm sure if you're resourceful you can find ways to download it, but the idea is to watch it through the site, haha. As always though, the first vid is available on my YouTube channel which should be able viewable from anywhere!

TheDarkKnight: Thanks! The second video does have stuff like that so I hope it was good.

Fusobotic: There isn't any way to bundle sales together on the CGCircuit web site at the moment. I COULD lower the price on all the videos at some point when they're all available, but I dunno if that would actually help sales much. I've been really busy lately so the other videos are still a while away. I'm glad you liked the first one!

mat: Thanks for your support! Haha, someone told me I sound like I should be giving relationship counseling instead of 3d modeling tutorials. :P
  • Tenchi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Watching now ^_^ I wish I could download these, it would be so much more convenient. I don't mind paying more to download.
  • erfangharib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    erfangharib polycounter lvl 8
    awsome job man ,thanx
  • CyberGameArts
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CyberGameArts polycounter lvl 7
    Tenchi wrote: »
    Watching now ^_^ I wish I could download these, it would be so much more convenient. I don't mind paying more to download.

I contacted Cgcircuit about it and they said that its because they want to protect the content. I also asked about a mobile version; Here is their responds
    Hi there!
    At the moment we don't have the ability to download videos from our website. As you imagined correctly it's a way to protect users content, but you can still use your iPad to watch the videos on CGCircuit as many times as you like (as long as you have an internet connection).
    We're also working on a full mobile version that we're going to roll out soon and this will make the process of watching videos on iPad and smart-phones even more a blast.
    Thanks and have fun on CGCircuit.

Cheers,
    Federico

I hope that clears it up for some people, including myslef :D
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome tut and awesome price :)
  • Callesw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    watching right now, awesome stuff. Thanks sooo much!
  • Kot_Leopold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kot_Leopold polycounter lvl 10
    @dustinbrown Those are just previews of every video. You need to register and then go that lesson and click on "Add to my lessons" (new button). It'll then take you to a different page and play the entire tutorial.
  • daphz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daphz polycounter lvl 13
    sweet stuff man! I'm watching part 1 now. Something tells my i'll be picking up the other parts too!
  • TehSplatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TehSplatt polycounter lvl 11
    I got this and its amazing worth much more than $6 - $7 Thanks! :D
  • AdamE87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AdamE87 polycounter lvl 11
    Just wanted to share my appreciation. You're tutorials are excellent, and I'm definitely in line for the next two.
  • MDSchee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MDSchee polycounter lvl 8
    dam only $7 dollar? i would had bought it still at 10 haha. that is why you arent a millionare yet. Awesome stuff
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks again, everyone. I really appreciate everyone who's looked into these videos. Hopefully I'll get the third volume out in a few weeks.

Viktor: thanks for chiming in with the help- I know the set up at CGCircuit site can be a bit confusing.

Chee: I totally will not hold you back if you want to buy multiple copies to help me reach that millionaire status. :D
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    Bumping this to let everyone know that the third volume is now available:
    http://www.cgcircuit.com/course/3d-character-art-for-games-iii

This video is all about low polygon modeling. I talk about optimization, deformation, soft vs hard normals and uv splits for bakes, etc. The vid also comes with a low polygon generic female model with UVs in .obj format so you can see what I'm talking about if you want to follow along.

This isn't an instructional video on how to use the software so if you're looking for how to retopo in X program then this isn't what you want. HOWEVER, if you are interested in learning about the principles of effective low polygon modeling then this might be useful! :)

I originally wanted to cover UV layout and baking maps as well, but the video was getting way too long so it made sense to split it up. Please let me know what you think if you decide to check it out!

Preview videos of volume 2 and 3 on my YouTube channel:
    vol. 2: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJh3vrjrGnU"]PREVIEW - 3d Character Art for Games - Vol. 2 - YouTube[/ame]
    vol. 3: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V52j58wJ8FQ"]PREVIEW - 3d Character Art for Games - Vol. 3 - YouTube[/ame]
  • Tenchi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Haikai, I'll be getting this too. I do hope you'll do more \(^_^)/
  • BrianSegs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BrianSegs polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks so much for the new lesson! I am one of those people who has been trying to figure out how to take things further and your lessons have helped more than you know. Im working to get into the industry and you have become one of the biggest helps in that. Thank you again and much love!

Im looking forward to more so please keep up the amazing work!
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    Really fantastic! I only just got done watching the first one now but I've learned a lot, and your processes and explanations all are really clicking with me. Definitely going to be dropping a few dollars to get the rest of this!
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    Definitely picking these up soon!
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baj Singh polycounter lvl 9
    Just to bump this up, these are a great investment. Very clear, good tutorials and awesome value for the price.

I look forward to purchasing this one and highly recommend other character artists do the same.
  • Brandon.LaFrance
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Brandon.LaFrance polycount sponsor
    You get another bump from me. I've been following these since the first release. A lot of great information at an amazing price. Thanks for making these.
  • Lavitz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lavitz polycounter lvl 12
    Been loving them so far, I'll be grabbing the 4th when I get this weeks paycheck.
  • Dubzski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dubzski polycounter lvl 11
    Awesome cheers, need to get back into high poly characters.
  • TAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN polycounter lvl 12
    Jesus Panzer Christ ! This is the only thing I need right now !

Where is my credit cart ?!? I...must.. BUY ! :D
  • MichaelElphick
    I found these while browsing youtube, Their amazing! I'm not a character artist but picked up many new techniques for props!
  • Krizalide
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm probably not suppose to ask something like that in forums but eh, I can't access their website, is it down or just me?
    it's a bit of a tease to want to buy it and get to it and just can't x(

it seems to work fine on IE, but no other browser for me. So I guess it works! yay
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks for all the great feedback, everyone! :) I don't do this full-time so hearing that these videos have been useful is very encouraging for me to continue making them.

Baj Singh: Thanks, man! Always great to hear that pros like you think these vids are worthwhile.

MichaelElphick: Yea, I think a lot of the principles are pretty much the same especially since props can be animated too, and game characters are often covered with props anyway, hehe.

Krizalide: That's odd, I use Firefox and it seems to be okay for me. If you have any issues with buying/viewing I strongly encourage you to let the CGCircuit guys know. I don't have anything to do with the web site itself, but I can pass along any problems you might run into to my contacts there if you'd like.

Thanks again!
  • regalrayn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great volume, Hai. UV's are a constant ancient chore in the industry but it's great that you recognize this and use it's imperfections to your advantage. very inspiring. Keep up the great work, man!
  • thepapercut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I know what's going on my credit card next. Wanting to get better at my character art, and your working being very inspiring and well done, this is a no brainier. Thank you good sir for making these.
  • TAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN polycounter lvl 12
    I also can't reach the site anymore.

I registered to site and it will never open again. Something wrong with the system ?
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    TAN: That's weird, it's been working for me all day. Well, lemme know the particulars such as your browser and any other info that might help diagnose the problem and I can forward it to the guys who run the site. It's obviously a source for concern, and hopefully it hasn't been a widespread problem.
  • TAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN polycounter lvl 12
    Using Firefox. Everything was fine. Than I was going to buy your other tutorial parts so I clicked register and entered my details. Than I confirmed aaaand.... since yesterday it just give me errors ???
  • Arno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arno polycounter lvl 8
    Looks very interesting, I made an account to check it out.
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    TAN: Okay, thanks. I sent you an email and CC'ed my contact at CGCircuit to try and figure it out.

If anyone else ever has any difficulties please don't hesitate to let me and CGCircuit know about it. Thanks! :)

EDIT: Looks like they're in the process of upgrading the servers to accommodate more traffic. Hopefully it shouldn't be long! Sorry about the inconvenience.
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    I bought it a few days ago and haven't had any problems using google chrome. I haven't finished watching it, but it's great so far.

I'm loving these videos, I look forward to the next installment!
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    Great videos man, you have my support!
  • TAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN polycounter lvl 12
    Wow ! It works just fine right now. Thanks a lot Hai. You are the man :D
  • NyneDown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NyneDown polycounter lvl 11
    These are awesome, Haikai. I've been watching these for the past couple of days and cant tell you just how insightful all of your tips have been man.

I think you mentioned that you have a couple of more volumes coming out? Any idea on the dates? I'm completely hooked :)
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    NyneDown: Great to hear! I'm working on the next one right now. It's always hard to get a feel for how long it will take, but I'm aiming for no later than the end of June. I'd love to be able to wrap all of the videos in this series up by August.

If anyone has any suggestions on what they'd like to see covered then please let me know! :)
  • thepapercut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick question: How indepth to you cover poly flow theory? I know you said you geared the series more towards the artistic side, but I'm wondering if I should off as I'm still getting a solid poly flow/theory down.
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    Quick question: How indepth to you cover poly flow theory? I know you said you geared the series more towards the artistic side, but I'm wondering if I should off as I'm still getting a solid poly flow/theory down.

I do talk quite a bit about how you should consider distributing your geometry for most game res situations in volume 3. The video even comes with the model I used to demonstrate so you can see for yourself how I approached it. What I DON'T do is provide diagrams for edge loops and stuff like that because there are a lot of opinions on that kind of thing and I don't want to endorse a very specific way of doing anything. I do mention what I like to look for though.

As to how in depth and useful the information is I guess I'd have to let an unbiased opinion chime in. :) For what it's worth, all the volumes after the first two have been more technical just because of the nature of the subject matter.
  • TAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN polycounter lvl 12
    Yo ! I just finished your tutorial and got to say: You are the man !

You answered most of the questions I got about character modelling for games and modelling/texturing in general. I always needed experience from someone who actually did the thing.

The only question left in my mind is wheteher should I switch from my old lowpoly-> highpoly-> bake workflow to highpoly-> lowpoly->bake one.

I will start making a hardcore character tomorrow morning and test both methods for the first time.

So... when will chapter 5 be available ? :D
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    I finally finished Vol. 5, Baking Maps & Preparation, of my 3d Character Art for Games video tutorial series. The first half hour is up on my YouTube channel:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQSDvLo-4Bs

This first part covers some very basic stuff so I thought it would be nice to make it available for free. The full version on CGCircuit (nearly three hours long!) goes into more depth about how I like to bake maps and troubleshooting baking problems. It's available now for just $6.99 at:
    http://www.cgcircuit.com/course/3d-character-art-for-games-v

This took longer than I expected, but I'll be starting on the last volume in this series soon: Texturing & Presentation. Please look forward to it! :)
  • Guedin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Guedin polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks you so much for this Haikai !
    I'll definitely take a look ;)
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    Awesome vids, man. Thanks for all the hard work. They'll certainly be useful. :)
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    I just wanted to resurrect this thread for the last time to say that the final volume in my 3d Character Art for Games video series, Texturing & Shading, is now available at CGCircuit for $8.99:
    http://www.cgcircuit.com/course/3d-character-art-for-games-vi

Thanks to everyone who has helped me out with this along the way, and of course to those who have supported the series and have given me invaluable feedback. Sorry it took so long to finish, but I hope it's worthwhile. It's over 5.5 hours long, and includes a posed version of my Hella model with textures for your reference.

You can see the first 40 minutes on my YouTube channel:
    http://youtu.be/t3HRYVpEQ0A