Hey Polycount: (Long Term project thread)
Planning to make a full game character asset of a character I've had brewing in my head for a while. Hopefully, this piece serves to pad my portfolio if I get this done before GDC 2013. And this thread being a log of my learning experience with this. The last character I did was this
, and I'm still not entirely confident about making something like that again.
So, on that note, DEFINITELY humbly requesting critiques
from those who are more fabulous at their craft than I
.Basic elements / limitations for Felspar Agaricus
- Blunt personality
- Fungal-based anatomy/shape/body
- Professional Hunter
- Blunderbuss-like weapon
- Story Flavor Text: finds a human child in his world, reluctantly decides to be his guardianPlanned workflow
Thumbnails > Concept > Rough Sculpt > Retopo and carefully make final highpoly sculpt > Retopo for low poly > Bake maps > TexturePlanned Goals
- Really get comfortable with a hard-surface workflow in Zbrush.
- Really get comfortable with actually making a proper high poly model.
- Push as far as possible with the texturing, so even if it'll have painted qualities, make spec maps, normals, etc. Get as "next-gen" as possible. For March 15th, though, just get a Riot Games League of Legends quality character out.
- Overall, get confident, so if someone on the team needs me to do this, I KNOW I can doit.