Crytek coming to Austin, TX

Replies

• System
  • IchII3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IchII3D polycounter lvl 12
    ChrisPerr wrote: »
    stalking horse bidder.. *cough ms *cough. and they were already developing it so why would he pass it over. seems like a good business sense to me. by the time crysis 3 comes out and homefront 2 probably within 50% of being finished, they gunna be rollin in that dough.

Something people forget is that Homefront 2 has been in development for over a year, your essentially buying 1 year of dev time and an IP for $500,000... that's amazing value. That dev year alone probably burnt through a few millions itself. Not only that but when/if you decide to go to another publisher you already have a game that's established and in production meaning it costs the publisher less money to finish and the developer gets a much better percentage deal.
  • dtschultz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dtschultz polycounter lvl 12
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    +1 helping out Vigil and a new Timesplitters!
  • tottot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tottot polycounter lvl 10
    I read they "have no interest in the Darksiders IP", but having the team that made it and having the rights seem to go hand in hand :) Heres to hoping for a great future!
  • CrazyMatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really don't get what Darksiders is about. Just imo, the game looks like a bunch of swirl stretched objects that have nothing I can identify with. But I suppose that should be good for them then ^^ to get another IP.
    Although TBH, I wish Crytek and its division branch offices around the globe would come up with original IP's than buy rights to existing ones that did mediocre.
  • tottot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tottot polycounter lvl 10
    CrazyMatt wrote: »
    I really don't get what Darksiders is about.

Personally, its like the artists game. Every inch of that game is just dripping in incredible art. Outside of that, it was a great new IP from a [then] new studio that wasnt a war game. It was the closest thing to comic books in video games yet.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    The first one was awesome, haven't played the second. But it was a great game, basically a Zelda style dungeon game with demons, and some good combo based DMC style fighting.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    I loved darksiders because it felt like Soul Reaver... but new, and different enough to be awesome on it's own.
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    good news for the atx guys!
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    tottot wrote: »
    Personally, its like the artists game. Every inch of that game is just dripping in incredible art. Outside of that, it was a great new IP from a [then] new studio that wasnt a war game. It was the closest thing to comic books in video games yet.

A little funny that you call a game where you play as "War"...not a "war game". :poly142:
  • serriffe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    serriffe polycounter lvl 9
    Awesome- this news made me smile :)
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Thought this was awesome. Would love to see another Darksiders game. Some of the best art/style I have seen in a game. Couldnt love it anymore. Really dug the story too. Gameplay was just a bunch of reused ideas so it didnt really stand out from anything else. Fix that and you got a winner.
  • erroldynamic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    erroldynamic polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, that is some great news! Nice to hear of something positive happening for Austin.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Really want to see Crytek release a F2P Timesplitters, that would be amazing. Better than acquiring paranoid, borderline racist I.P. like Homefront, which was a surprising move. They're normally the good guy studios who buy up floundering studios and their talent. :) I've got Darksiders 1&2 sitting in my steam account, must give them a bash soon.
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    From what I understand Andreas, they're currently making a sequel to Homefront so it made sense for them to buy the rights to it. Also from what I remember the rights were pretty cheap (comparatively of course) so it made more sense to buy it then have to split profit or royalties with another company.

Excited to see them trying for Darksiders. Makes me wonder though if this is a bid to keep it out of other companies hands or if they would be actively working on a third one.
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    YAY! I can't wait to see what Darksiders looks like in the CryEngine! That was the one thing I always felt we could have done better. Our rendering engine always had a little graininess to it. I’m so excited for my Former Vigil buddies!

- BoBo
  • Zepic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zepic polycounter lvl 11
    YAY! I can't wait to see what Darksiders looks like in the CryEngine! That was the one thing I always felt we could have done better. Our rendering engine always had a little graininess to it. I’m so excited for my Former Vigil buddies!

- BoBo

Does anybody know if they plan on porting Darksiders over to the Cryengine or will they just inherit Vigil's engine?
    I knew some guys at Vigil and they said their in-house engine had some pretty cool features.
    How does that work exactly?
    Can Crytek just take what they like from Vigil's engine and merge those features in to the Cryengine?
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    Well, if they buy Vigil, they will own everything from Vigil excluding anything that belongs to their various publishers.

So theoretically, they could incorporate whatever features they deem useful from vigils tech in to the cryengine :)
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    Well, if they buy Vigil, they will own everything from Vigil excluding anything that belongs to their various publishers.

So theoretically, they could incorporate whatever features they deem useful from vigils tech in to the cryengine :)

They didn't buy vigil though, they waited for vigil to go under and then hired some of the devs. So it is a brand new studio, just with ex-vigil people. Vigil's tech is something that would have to be purchased at auction. Not sure if the engine is included with the IP.