Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] Snowy Mountain Landscape

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
mohq polycounter lvl 3
Hi everybody!

So this is my first time posting here and I was inspired by nightfrontier's Snow Landscape project I saw a few months ago and decided I had to learn how to make it!

So I started learning UDK and how the Material Editor works etc., then got into World Machine and finally got something done!

It took a while since I'm a bit more than a beginner but here is the final product! Tell me what you guys think :)

Used textures off of cgtextures.com and generated the heightmap from World Machine, did not use the colour map though just the colours from the textures I got from CG. And used a particle effect for the snow. Enjoy!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mut-wW3uK4U"]Snowy Landscape - Unreal Engine - YouTube[/ame]

Replies

• Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    wow Im surprised that runs well? does udk automattically lod the terrain for you?
  • mohq
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mohq polycounter lvl 3
    Ged wrote: »
    wow Im surprised that runs well? does udk automattically lod the terrain for you?

yeah I think so! You can change the LOD settings in the UDK for the terrain, I think I made it the highest for this specific piece since it is just for show, and is probably why the lighting/render time was about 8hrs+. While I know that to be ideal for a game the lod would be much lower
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    that is purrrty. I do have to say i'm not too keen on the transition from snow-no snow...it's kind of squishy...or blurry..or something not snowy. if that makes sense.
  • mohq
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mohq polycounter lvl 3
    reverendK wrote: »
    that is purrrty. I do have to say i'm not too keen on the transition from snow-no snow...it's kind of squishy...or blurry..or something not snowy. if that makes sense.

I think i kinda know!
    like when you can see the bare rock and snow around it, like the transition from the rock-snow texture?

I do kinda notice it now! was stuck on a while with that thought it was good but i guess the lighting made it darker so you couldnt really see more of a transition from rock-snow