Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Fender Stratocaster

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Connor Chameleon polycounter lvl 7
Current WIP for my Fender Stratocaster, just finished baking and laying down the base colours. currently working on texturing

All comments and crits are welcome

lowpolyrender1.jpg

lowpolyrender2.jpg

lowpolyrender3m.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIlCD_HNUSY&feature=youtu.be turntable test video

The actually guitar and the strap were created as separate assets, the idea being that the strap can be interchangeable. 4230 tris and 2048 x 2048 texture for the guitar and 998 tris and 1024 x 512 texture for the strap

texturerender.jpg

straptexturerender.jpg

Replies

• joshmtyler
    Offline / Send Message
    joshmtyler polycounter lvl 5
    I like it, but I want to see some more personality. Maybe the Fender logo on the headstock, some wearing on the neck, some finger/string gook on the frets, and some scratches from a belt or buckle on the back from standing and playing.

Why no screenshots of the back?
  • Connor Chameleon
    Offline / Send Message
    Connor Chameleon polycounter lvl 7
    joshmtyler wrote: »
    I like it, but I want to see some more personality. Maybe the Fender logo on the headstock, some wearing on the neck, some finger/string gook on the frets, and some scratches from a belt or buckle on the back from standing and playing.

Why no screenshots of the back?

dont worry, i plan on giving it some much needed personality, its just WIP base block colour with a few details at the moment, havent started to texture it properly, i can post screens of the back if people want, just with it being block colour at the moment the back is a bit on the boring side :(
  • jmt
    I just so happen to be obsessed with guitars, though I've never owned a Strat. Hopefully these critiques help.

- bridge doesn't look accurate. Should have individual saddles, not a bar.
    - no angle cut into the wood for the picking forearm to sit on
    - no pickup toggle switch
    - guitar finish and metal parts arent shiny enough
    - whammy bar looks quite small and the plastic part on the end doesnt bulge out
    Kusln3T.jpg

- neck heel looks more like a les paul than a strat
    pM9RKuk.jpg

- neck and head are wrong from the side view. headstock should be a lot lower than the fretboard and the back side of it should be a little lower than the back of the neck
    x1eVAm6.jpg

- most strats have 1-2 string trees on headstock
    - wood grains don't look realistic
    - edge of body and headstock should be much rounder
    - pickguard shouldn't have white stripe at the neck cutout area
    - white stripe around pickguard seems too thick for a 3 ply pickguard
    - bottom edges of body look low poly
    - nut and fret inlays look like the same material as the metal parts (should be synthetic bone/plastic)
    - no fender logo on headstock
    - no fret markers on the upper edge of neck (to look at while playing)
    - no skunk stripe on back of neck (not all strat necks with rosewood fingerboards have skunk stripes, but they look cool).
    - no truss rod adjustment hole on headstock
  • joshmtyler
    Offline / Send Message
    joshmtyler polycounter lvl 5
    jmt wrote: »

- no angle cut into the wood for the picking forearm to sit on

That's not really a huge problem. Some strats do not have the bevel for your arm. It all depends on which recreation you are going for.
  • jmt
    joshmtyler wrote: »
    That's not really a huge problem. Some strats do not have the bevel for your arm. It all depends on which recreation you are going for.

I wasn't sure if all strats have that angled edge, but it's fairly standard and looks more interesting than without it IMO. A lot of the things I mentioned aren't mandatory, but would look right to me.