Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Forest stones

Hello, just a little exercise, hope you like it. All kind of comments are welcome!

It's 745 polys and 2048* normal+diffuse.

rock01.jpg

rock02.jpg

rock03.jpg

rock04.jpg

rock05.jpg

rock06.jpg

rock07.jpg

Replies

• Sal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sal
    maybe too highpoly mesh?
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    Polycount is subjective these days. all depends...although i'm sure it could be optimized. My biggest problem with it is that it's very blobby...kind of looks like a giant petrified poo.
    it's too solid to be a pile of smaller rocks, but not shaped like one big one.

one big rock - It desperately needs some nice plane changes and sharp angles. Some wear to define what kind of stone it is would be nice, too - if you're willing to do a bit of research.

A06-211-08%20Mossy%20Boulder.jpg
    stock-photo-against-all-odds-gravity-or-not-big-boulder-balancing-on-steep-rocky-hill-isolated-with-blue-sky-107921564.jpg

pile of rocks - obviously...a pile of the above. If they've been piled a long time though they'll begin to fit closer together usually. you could also put a little more thought into the silhouette of the overall pile.
    consider how they got to be piled up in the first place.

rock20pile2013.jpg
    JT_RockPile.jpg

sorry if that was longwinded for just a bit of practice on your part...but i love my rocks.

*edit - i think the texture looks real nice. :)
  • locater16
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    locater16 polycounter lvl 8
    Definitely looks odd, kind of blobbish, or several blobs melded together. In my experience this is more representative, and to boot has a more distinctive shape:

highrock.jpg

Polycount is highly subjective. What's it for? A modern high end triple A game? A next gen game? A mobile game? A mobile high end game? It could range from high to low to just right depending.
  • RaPtoR_v9600
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RaPtoR_v9600 polycounter lvl 4
    I think its ok for poly if its used in UDK or CE for big rock, but crap i can not do rocks, my always turned too odd,