Home General Discussion

Adobe giving away CS 2 for free

OniLolz
polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
OniLolz polycounter lvl 13
Just go here https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/entitlement/index.cfm?e=cs2_downloads&pid=4485850 and register, so you can download all CS2 pack for free.

I don't know if it will last forever, so grab it while you can :)

Replies

• Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    I got mine, but the site is getting hammered...
  • Acumen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Acumen polycounter lvl 18
    Would be nice to know if this is free for commercial use or whatever more information anyone could need ?
    Weird that I can't find no blogpost or whatsoever, but only ....... on google :/
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    Oh wow... I'm at a work PC and can't download at the moment, but do you know what kind of license it is? Just for personal work, or can you use it professionally?
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    Would be great to know if you can use it commercially or not!
  • Ben Apuna
  • JamesWild
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesWild polycounter lvl 8
    Did Adobe just sign their own death certificate here? I for one don't see a huge amount of reason to upgrade beyond CS2/3, there's some cool features, but nothing really critical and plugins work all the same as far as I know?
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    this is pretty awesome :)
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Hah it's like being put on hold. NEVER seen a site so thrashed before I'm getting nada hah. Can't even login. I get a warning saying the site is temporarily unavailable.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesWild wrote: »
    Did Adobe just sign their own death certificate here? I for one don't see a huge amount of reason to upgrade beyond CS2/3, there's some cool features, but nothing really critical and plugins work all the same as far as I know?
    On the surface it seems insane but then again it could do two things...
    1) Get more "customers" a bit more familiar with the legit system so they aren't so afraid of it. There they will probably be inundated with "opportunities" to sign up for the newer versions on their new business model.

2) It depends how wildly they are banking on their new monthly subscription based model vs the old sell serials model. If the old model is dead to them and they have a new cash cow, they probably don't care what the old business model does.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    "We're sorry, the site area you've requested is unavailable. Please try again later."
    I wonder if they took it down.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    I wonder if the internet literally just killed the Adobe servers. That's more likely. If they withdrew the offer we'd still be able to log in surely?
  • Paradan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok Autodesk, your up next...
  • MadCarrot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD wrote: »
    "We're sorry, the site area you've requested is unavailable. Please try again later."

It's still there, I'm just downloading mine.
  • JostVice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JostVice polycounter lvl 12
    ZacD wrote: »

Same for me. This looks delicious, but really is adobe doing this? hard to believe :)
  • fatihG_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fatihG_ polycounter lvl 14
    Not working for me.
  • spitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spitty polycounter lvl 17
    did anyone get this to work? is it a subscription that runs out or something?

if cs2 is available for free there's little reason to buy cs6. i'm still on cs2, and i was going to uprade to cs6, but you can't even do that anymore. you can only upgrade from cs5 to cs6. :(
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Perhaps off-topic but...I subscribe to Adobe cloud. 50$/month and I can use the latest version of any Adobe product.
    When you calculate, it'd take 2 years at that rate to even pay for a standalone license of Photoshop, nevermind all the other apps. So, its a pretty good deal, IMO.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spitty wrote: »
    did anyone get this to work? is it a subscription that runs out or something?

if cs2 is available for free there's little reason to buy cs6. i'm still on cs2, and i was going to uprade to cs6, but you can't even do that anymore. you can only upgrade from cs5 to cs6. :(
    I got it to work, if you get to the download page it lists the serial numbers, I suggest saving that page because getting back to it could be difficult. Also note that the links from a saved page will also work and appear to be much more responsive than the support page is being.

It looks like they shut off the old activation server(s) for CS2, switching it over to serial number based (like it used to be a long time ago). I bet they are banking on their new subscription based business model to move them forward. It also could be that CS2 had a fairly easy to patch and pirate activation system, but I'm not sure I never bothered to try and get around it.

The subscription has been pretty interesting, originally I thought I would pick it up for a few months do a few projects and drop it but I kept up on it and really like it.

This could change things, but then they don't have Muse and that's why I originally signed up on their creative cloud service, still I could drop that down to just muse and save a bit... humm have some thinking to do.
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    Yeah, I've been reallllly interested in that plan, Scooby.

I think this is a very smart move on their part to hook tons of people into legitimately subscribing to their 50bucks-a-month service..
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's really smart. "Here, take these decent versions of our apps for free ... like them? Subscribe for the latest stuff!" Basically, CS2 is now their demo version.
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    Paradan wrote: »

Max 2009 for free.

Polycount would do an explode.
  • mystichobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mystichobo polycounter lvl 12
    perna wrote: »
    I noticed recently that the software update for it no longer is working, so I'm wondering which version is being offered for download. Could someone confirm that the distributed version is higher than 9.0? In the menu: Help--->About Photoshop...

It's 9.0, I managed to get the keys after a lot of refreshing :)

I really like it, it's nice not having PS use up 4gb of my memory straight away when I load up a file over 100mb. Will probably keep using this over my student copy of CS5. The interface has evolved a bit in the newer versions, but CS2 is still very workable.

EDIT:
    I'd assume the manual updates from here would work
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    CS2 is limited with 32 bits tools, so it's a bit outdated for photographers, which i believe, are the base of adobe users. Anyway, it's still great for texturing and illustration.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Finally let me in.... Sweet... Although I do already own CS5.5 suite...
  • tonysladky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paradan wrote: »

With the way their educational licenses seem to work, if you can handle a reminder every time you save that you're still using an Educational copy, it seems like you could've been out of school for 50 years* and still be grabbing almost any version of any Autodesk software for free. Obviously, it's still not a commercial license, but free with a few strings attached is still free.

*I've got a little over 48 years left before I've confirmed that theory…
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Perhaps off-topic but...I subscribe to Adobe cloud. 50$/month and I can use the latest version of any Adobe product.
    When you calculate, it'd take 2 years at that rate to even pay for a standalone license of Photoshop, nevermind all the other apps. So, its a pretty good deal, IMO.

12x50=600
    Ps Reg= 670

1Year 2 months.

PSEXTENDED= 999

1year 8 months.

Who though uses extended? Ndo adds everything else.

The real benefit is access to all of Adobes products, but if you're just using it for PS, either get the cheaper PS only one (30?), or buy a reg license as that's cheaper.

:::::::

Did cs2 have 64bit support and did it have that rotate canvas button the new wacoms can use? Also how is it's compatibility with like ndo, ddo, and goz plugins?
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    imho ndo and ddo do not work under cs2
    iam like 99% sure i had a key on my wacom bound to rotate canvas, but i wouldnt bet my life on it
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    Grabbed mine. We have CS5.5 legit but this will be nice for the laptop.
  • Quesocotl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    page is down! arrg!!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary wrote: »
    The real benefit is access to all of Adobes products, but if you're just using it for PS, either get the cheaper PS only one (30?), or buy a reg license as that's cheaper.
    I think you can cherry pick one off the list for cheaper. I was doing that with Muse for a while for 14.99 and decided to jump up and get access to all of the tools, mostly for photoshop and illustrator. But now... I might drop that back down to just Muse and save some money.
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    It says "Temporarily Unavailable" to me. Maybe we can still get it.
  • yodude87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yodude87 polycounter lvl 5
    Computron wrote: »
    Max 2009 for free.

Polycount would do an explode.

hahahahahh
  • tonysladky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary wrote: »
    Did cs2 have 64bit support and did it have that rotate canvas button the new wacoms can use? Also how is it's compatibility with like ndo, ddo, and goz plugins?

The Rotate Canvas Tool was implemented in CS4 forward. Maybe a third-party plugin, but I doubt there's any first-party way to use it in CS2.

What's it's Windows 7 Compatibility look like? I'm running a CS6 subscription right now, so I'm only 'in a rush' in so far as picking it up while the deal lasts, so I haven't gone beyond a cursory examination into compatibility issues, which revealed "they exist". Is it a simple fix to get CS2 and newer-than-XP windows to play nicely, or do you have to be a high-level technomancer to make them not deal-breakers?
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    does this include AE?

Man CS2 was the defacto version for me until cs6 showed up(and thats no much of a leap upwards).
  • Fusobotic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fusobotic polycounter lvl 6
    Here's a mirror to get to the download links on the Adobe website.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1woD1x4CzokSxRsTaNU4K0nH7n0GAUSkXmwyfWAjLXu0/preview?sle=true

You're welcome :)
  • ironbelly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbelly polycounter lvl 9
    Ah, doesn't seem to work.. Although I'm a GIMP guy myself.
  • Shadownami92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shadownami92 polycounter lvl 7
    Yeah, it seems pretty bogged down, but it's also in the middle of the day really. I'll probably give the site a go later tonight, might have a better chance getting in then.
  • HardBaller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HardBaller polycounter lvl 7
    thnx Fusobotic those mirrors seem to work for me. Anybody figured out yet if we can use this for commercial use?
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I just bought photoshop for home use last year :/ well maybe this has some other good stuff? is this totally legit?
  • ivanzu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivanzu polycounter lvl 10
    Great!
    We're sorry, the site area you've requested is unavailable. Please try again later.

システムメインテナンスのため本サービスを一時停止しております。ご利用の皆様にはご不便をおかけして大変申し訳ございません。メインテナンス作業が終り次第、サービスを開始できるよう準備を進めておりますので、今しばらくお待ち下さいますようお願いいたします。
  • Vito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vito polycounter lvl 18
    In addition to being only 32-bit, if you're using a Mac, it's probably totally useless for you, as CS2 Mac only works on PowerPCs.

Remember, CS2 came out in 2005. It'll be okay to practice on (if you're on Windows, anyway) if you've never used some of these tools before, but you're going to have problems collaborating with people using current CS versions, you're not going to be able to take advantage of your current system with it, and you can't use it to get a discounted upgrade to Creative Cloud, which needs CS3+ for upgrade pricing.
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    from what i have read in the adobe forums, its all bogus

the key and download is only for people who already own a valid license.
    so, even if you have succesfully downloaded the software, its kinda pointless, because its the same as if you would use a pirated version.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    the key and download is only for people who already own a valid license.
    ... because its the same as if you would use a pirated version.

ah that makes more sense, couldnt believe adobe would actually be bothered to do this. So if anyone uses this downloaded version they cant legally use it unless they already owned the software?
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dov Isaacs, support staff at Adobe
    http://forums.adobe.com/message/4974662#4974662

On behalf of Adobe Systems Incorporated ...

You have heard wrong! Adobe is absolutely not providing free copies of CS2!

What is true is that Adobe is terminating the activation servers for CS2 and that for existing licensed users of CS2 who need to reinstall their software, copies of CS2 that don't require activation but do require valid serial numbers are available. (Special serial numbers are provided on the page for each product download.) See <http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1114930>.

You are only legally entitled to download and install with that serial number if you have a valid license to the product!

- Dov

I'm having a hard time seeing how they're going to get the cat back in the bag, there's serials everywhere and with all these major news outlets reporting the story as though this is an intentional Adobe giveaway I don't think they're going to have a fun time trying to sue anybody who uses these keys for commercial work. Short of bringing their auth servers back to kill the keys (if that will even work) theres not a lot of good options.

This is a bad spot for adobe...
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    was waiting for the official adobe word heh, seemed too good to be true. This must suck for them though currently. :\
  • Pancakes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pancakes polycounter lvl 10
    awwwwwWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Even though I just bought CS6, I was looking forward to having a free copy of illustrator...oh well, I'll download it anyway but I won't bother to install incase Adobe changes mind
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Fecking eejits.
  • Stvv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Interesting, is it just Photoshop or is it all CS2?
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    From the same Adobe thread, http://forums.adobe.com/message/4974662
    30. Ozpeter, Jan 7, 2013 4:06 PM in reply to Dov Isaacs Report

As far as I can tell, the sequence of events here was as follows.

About 48 hours ago an Audition user encountered the authorisation problem and posted the fix on the AudioMasters web site, which I read. I then drew attention to the availability of the programs and serial numbes on several audio-centric web sites, being careful to post only the "front door" access address which required the use or creation of an Adobe ID.

Nothing much happened for 24 hours apart from some discussion on some of those sites, the discussion being centred on two things -

1 - the legality of accessing and using the files

2 - gratitude to Adobe for making this gesture and general comments about what a good PR move it was.

This morning here in Australia I've woken up to find that the thing has gone viral and clearly it has caused Adobe some difficulty, which as a former moderator here and former long-time active beta tester I'm sorry about - but I acted in good faith and I don't think it can be argued that any downloads by those who did not previously have licences for these products were illegal.

My response yesterday to a forum question about the legal issue was as follows - please forgive the lengthy quote but it's important -
    "The download page is deliberately open to anyone who signs up for an Adobe ID (which if you agree gives them an opportunity to include you in email shots). On the download page they give a serial number for each product and that serial number is the same for everyone. When you install the products the licence says that the product can be used by anyone who has "obtained" it from Adobe (they deliberately don't use the words bought or purchased). It would be a highly technical breach of the licence if someone put the files up for download other than from the Adobe site because then you wouldn't be obtaining it from Adobe.

The software is still being sold by third parties on the internet, but suckers who buy it will discover that it cannot be installed as there is no activation server operating. I don't see anything wrong in making it known that instead paying money for non-working copies of these programs, you can download them for no cost direct from Adobe. Adobe do not support these programs any more so they are not losing money if new users download them (apart from cost of sending them out on the net) and there's some chance that some who download them will purchase current versions down the track.

Why did Adobe do this? There must have been some major reason, cost based, for shutting down the activation server. Perhaps they don't have the staff to maintain the old system, who knows. They could (technically) have restricted access to the download page to those who had registered the software against their pre-existing Adobe IDs. But evidently that did not make economic sense. Anyway, they made a business decision to take this step knowing that some people other than paying customers would avail themselves of the download.

It's a whole lot different from the Reaper [audio DAW software] case where the unrestricted software is accompanied by licence terms which require the users to pay after evaluation. There is no such restriction in this case. I cannot believe any legal authority would consider that there was anything remotely illegal about downloading these files and public serial numbers by people who didn't pay for licences in the days when they were available for purchase."

I still stand by those views. Probably there are now enough copies of these files in circulation to prevent Adobe from putting the cat back in the bag, but if they wish to restrict their server load, they could now - I assume - change the page only to allow access by any means to those whose Adobe ID identifies them as previous licence holders, which is an option that presumably they had in the first place. Making the files publically available on their servers, but then expecting "unauthorised" people not to download them, was somewhat naive, especically when the files were accompanied by a licence agreement which did not make the downloading and use of the files illegal. To regularise the legal situation, the licence needs to change the word "obtain" to "purchase". But for those who have already downloaded the files, you can't retrospecitively change the licence.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Bibendum wrote: »
    I'm having a hard time seeing how they're going to get the cat back in the bag, there's serials everywhere and with all these major news outlets reporting the story as though this is an intentional Adobe giveaway I don't think they're going to have a fun time trying to sue anybody who uses these keys for commercial work. Short of bringing their auth servers back to kill the keys (if that will even work) theres not a lot of good options.

This is a bad spot for adobe...

I'm sure individual licenses and freelancers aren't a big bulk of their income - you never hear any stories about them pursuing individuals. They do work with companies who audit businesses and sue them if they don't have an in depth paper trail showing ownership. They typically offer employees money to rat their employer out, usually a percentage of the lawsuit money.