Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Cougar - cartoon super hero! Finished!

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
krisCrash polycounter lvl 9
Hello polycount!
5 months ago I enrolled in the fantastic Animation Workshop in Viborg, Denmark, and we've just finished our first big project - 6 weeks to design, model, rig and render a character and environment.

My guy is the nature loving kat-fu wielding Cougar!

Here's the final image
KristineHansen_Final.jpg

Concept!
KristineHansen_concept.jpg

Wires (some of the alpha card plants are omitted)
KristineHansen_AOwire.png

Big thanks to Luis Cook of Aardman Animations, Leigh Russell of Double Negative and Bo Mathorne, director of Backwater Gospel, for teaching us!

I will dig up some WIP shots and other bits and post right away :D

Replies

• krisCrash
    Offline / Send Message
    krisCrash polycounter lvl 9
    Oi, forgot to mention, we're using Maya+mentalray, and AfterEffects for compositing. Textures are photoshop, mostly hand painted with a bit of stock thrown in.

I quickly blocked out the mesh, but realized I had to change some things for it to survive tesselation in render. I also realized teacher's ideas of 3 rings around the joints for best deformation wasn't the solution here, so I ended up applying something closer to what I've learned from Polycount - more edges on the outside of hte joint and none on the inside.
    mesh3hrs.png
    kristineHansen_cougaroldwires.png
    kristineHansen_finalwires.png
  • Simmo
    Offline / Send Message
    Simmo polycounter lvl 12
    Hey man, this is great! I love the design, colours and style. The render looks awesome, like a frame from a proper animated CG film. Nice work!

Only small crit is if the rope around the scratching post had volume it would pop that little bit more. But it's not detracting from the final image

Love the Dali-lama picture :)