Home General Discussion

5 Things The Tell Me You're Not Professional.

Replies

• Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    ...what's that thing. Something like, for every introvert that needs to come out of their shell - there are 10 extroverts who need to shut the fuck up?

Yeah, I think that's it. Haha. Gets me every time.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Yes but the beard makes up for it Teri :D
    He's talking about the sort of behavior we see here sometimes. Like, when someone prefaces their WAYWO post with something like : "I was super tired and made this terrible piece of shit, don't look at it, WIP WIP WIP!"

Yes, this exactly. Cringe worthy foolishness.
  • Sandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heh, people are different and their life/work situations differ too. There are cases when you have to speak up and sometimes you have to keep your mouth shut.

In the end you have to do what needs to be done and make it work for you, not the other way around. We all make compromises here and there, and basic communication skills are essential, but if work or social situation you're in requires you to rewrite your personality from scratch maybe it's not worth it?
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Ark wrote: »
    Have you ever worked with a shy person?
    Do you feel they are less important to the team/workplace because they don't speak as much as everyone else?

Yes I have. All jobs require a set of skills and social interaction is to me, just as important as being able to model, animate, paint, etc. Some people are going to be better at it than others. I'm not saying you need to be a superstar extrovert but there is a base level of interaction skills you need to have in order to be competent at your job. That's not just game industry, that is any job. There is a big difference between keeping to yourself and being unable to complete your job duties due to crippling anxiety due to shyness.

I used to be so shy. My first job working at a movie theater I couldn't look people in the eye when I tore their tickets coming in. I could hardly squeak out directions to the theater which housed their film. I could not effectively communicate the duties required for my job and was almost fired for it. So, I worked at it and got better. Now, I have very little issue meeting new people in my workplace or communicating ideas or workflow. It is a skill. Any job you have; communication is the key, and if you can't communicate you're going to be left in the dust.
  • ikken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There is a difference between being more quiet and humble and being someone who doesn't actively engage in development (both games and their personal/professional lives). I also disagree that shy people get nothing and that is what they deserve. I feel like that is what the current culture of loud extroverted everything tries to make it seem like. People work and think differently.

Yea a bit of an introvert here lol.

If anyone here still reads books, "Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking" by Susan Cain is quite amazing tbh (I'm yet to finish it, though)

And that video is garbage, gave up on 6th minute. Most of stuff he's saying is common sense, except p. biased and really really wordly.
    Planning a lecture never hurt anyone tbh & I'm typically reading at much faster pace than he's talking. L
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    U know... I would almost believe him if he hadn't finished off with '...then u suck as a human being and I never wonna talk to u again'

Not true
    Not necessary
    and not kind

But hey, he knows what he's saying
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You get the concept of sarcasm, right?
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    I thought the video was pretty cool, just try mining the key nuggets of info out of it.

In general I always get the most out of conversations/ interactions when someone calls you out on your bullshit, it's a good wake up call and we ALL need it every now and again. I kinda feel like this dude brings up some points where I would need to work on, and shiii feels gewd man.

Thought it was cool :P