Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] MK Training Dojo

Hi Polycount, this is my first artwork thread. For my university module we were given an assignment which is basically the Brawl challenge, for mine i chose to re-imagine the Training Dojo from Mortal Kombat 9:

Training_dojo.png

The+Training+Dojo.png

My re-imagination design was to first take the original scene, age it and have it neglected and then combine it with an industrial scene such as a factory but still keep the feel that the original concept did to keep it recognisable.

Here is my current shot of the scene that was handed in with the last submission:

1toap

1to1p

I am aware that there are errors within the scene as it stands, such as the texture on the end of the pillar at the front, there are some lighting errors, some of the textures were incredibly rushed and the scene is lacking a lot in post processing etc but i would appreciate any feedback or advice that can be given for the environment as it stands. I need to make it presentable and do a paint-over of any changes and improvements that can be made to the level over the next week.

I can post any shots of alternate angles or individual meshes, wireframe views etc if that will help.

Thankyou for taking the time to read this and i hope you can help :)

Arizia~

Replies

• Arizia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Trying to sort out lighting for my level but getting a lot of problems, there are a lot of unwanted shadows in places and a lot of colour bleeding which i believe is down to the lightmaps from what i've read about the problem. Most of my assets have overlapping UV's as a lot of the textures are repeated, but i hear that lightmaps really complain about that and any wrapping UV's or if they aren't padded enough. Would it be better for me to just not use them at all? So delete the second UV channels or should i try and go in and move the UV's of everything? : /

1ywQ2
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    Are any of your light maps uvs overlapped? If so you need to go back and make sure they are all unique, you can't have overlapping uvs for light maps!
  • Arizia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Forgot to update this after i played with lightmaps a bit and some of the DX11 settings for a case study.

222S1

Way too much stength on the DoF here but it was my first test xD

22bUh
  • AlanSMitchell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlanSMitchell polycounter lvl 14
    Try focusing on your composition a bit more you got a nice scene here. Some of these pieces seem random though :/. I really don't understand the pipes of how that chunk of the roof wound up in the middle of the room. Try telling a story with your scene. maybe a huge fighter threw the roof piece through the roof. and now there is a big hole in the side of the ceiling. and maybe some company started renovations and that is why the pipes are there.
  • AlanSMitchell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlanSMitchell polycounter lvl 14
    Also just look at the scene as a 2d image and figure out where you eyes wander to I think you will find that your placement of objects shoots your eye right off the screen. it's also fairly jumbled. I hope this helps.