Home Unreal Engine

DX11 Image Based Reflection Problems

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
JonathanLambert polycounter lvl 6
I'm working on an interior scene to play with some DX11 features. I'm running into a problem where surfaces that are parallel to the reflection source have a strange radial specular reflection pattern.

The reflection source is on the left.
Screen.jpg

Surfaces perpendicular to the source look fine.
d11_1.jpg
d11_2.jpg

Surfaces parallel to the source are FUBAR.
d11_3.jpg

Any ideas?

Replies

• Angry Beaver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Angry Beaver polycounter lvl 7
    how much rotation is needed before the surface is "fixed"?
  • JonathanLambert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Greater than 45deg. When I get home, I'll test the problem with BSPs, because the problem also occurred on my flat wall mesh with or without a normal map. Maybe I'm screwing up my mesh normals on export or import.

Just in case some else runs across the same issue, I'll post a fix when I figure out why this is happening. I was just hoping I was overlooking a check box or something simple.
  • JamesWild
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesWild polycounter lvl 8
    How does a sphere look? I'm interested in how this tech works, please throw some random geometry in the scene!
  • JonathanLambert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After some experimentation and reading more of the documentation, I think the problem is that the specular reflections are anisotropic. I don't know how to deal with it though.

At glancing angles, everything looks as expected.

ss0.jpg
    ss1.jpg

However, when the camera, face normals, and reflection source are closer to being parallel, the reflections don't hold up. The boxes are BSPs and the sphere is a static mesh.

ss2.jpg
    ss3.jpg

I guess I need to download Jordan's Bath House scene again and see if I can figure what I'm doing wrong.
  • JamesWild
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesWild polycounter lvl 8
    How odd... if it works like I think it does, I'd expect that to happen on the other side.