Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

World machine, advanced coloring macro

Replies

• Buzzcore
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UPDATE: I have been trying to find a solution to the stranded route points, short of rebuilding the macro without using route points. If anyone with more knowledge can suggest anything I would greatly appreciate it. =]
  • mnphear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mnphear polycounter lvl 9
    can someone post a tutorial how to use this macro with world machine?
  • Pioldes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pioldes polycounter lvl 5
    mnphear wrote: »
    can someone post a tutorial how to use this macro with world machine?

I meant this, I managed to put it into worldmachine, I just don't know how to set the nodes up so I can work with it ; )
  • Buzzcore
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have fixed the macro and will upload it tomorrow, as for a tutorial on how to use it, once I have uploaded the fixed macro you should download the example file to see how it is set up.
  • Jeza87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also, does anyone else have a problem building their terrain at (2048X2048)
    My WM seems to build for a very long time on the macro, sometimes going to 160% and then when it finishes my terrain disappears from the viewport.
    And other times it just wont show the results after building (still looks low -res), but at (1024X1024) it works.
  • gartht3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeza87 wrote: »
    Also, does anyone else have a problem building their terrain at (2048X2048)
    My WM seems to build for a very long time on the macro, sometimes going to 160% and then when it finishes my terrain disappears from the viewport.
    And other times it just wont show the results after building (still looks low -res), but at (1024X1024) it works.

I didn't have this trouble at all. ATM I'm making islands so need beach and sand. Will be posting results when that is up:) Big thanks again for your hard work Buzz:)
  • Buzzcore
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The macro contains a lot of nodes and will build for a long time going up to about 150% before completing, I have encountered the bug that causes the terrain not to show only once and I believe it to be a world machine bug rather than a problem with the macro.
  • Buzzcore
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok I have updated the original post to include the latest version, just follow the instructions on how to install and enjoy.
  • Buzzcore
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gartht3d wrote: »
    I didn't have this trouble at all. ATM I'm making islands so need beach and sand. Will be posting results when that is up:) Big thanks again for your hard work Buzz:)

2048x2048 will take about 20 mins to build.
  • ASGUARDVIKING
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kick ass buzzcore i cant wait to try it out, thanks for all the hard work dude.
  • gartht3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this is really nice now. Tons of customization and nice blended colours. Love the beach to grass blending it's spot on. Keep at it man your on to something big:)

This might be cool, how about a slider to change grass hue/sat? is that possible?
  • Buzzcore
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this is really nice now. Tons of customization and nice blended colours. Love the beach to grass blending it's spot on. Keep at it man your on to something big:)

This might be cool, how about a slider to change grass hue/sat? is that possible?

'main 1' and 'main 2' are the colours for the grass so you can pick any colour you want, do you mean where the grass is highlighted by the sun through a break in the clouds? If so then I could add hue and saturation but there are so many controls already that the macro takes up the entire length if my screen (any more and I wouldn't be able to press 'ok'). I was thinking of splitting the macro into modules for my next one. If you have anything else you would like to see please let me know :)
  • Kazperstan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kazperstan greentooth
    Buzzcore wrote: »
    I have fixed the macro and will upload it tomorrow, as for a tutorial on how to use it, once I have uploaded the fixed macro you should download the example file to see how it is set up.

nice one!
    and if anyone wants just a general WM tutorial this is handy
    http://www.mrbluesummers.com/523/3d-tutorials/colors-and-selections
  • ASGUARDVIKING
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well here is a WIP of the terrain for my personal project. Thanks again for the macro

Landscapetest_zps03a75200.jpg
  • Benkeeling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Benkeeling polycounter lvl 10
    Love the Macro getting some really nice results with it, I was just wondering if you could put in the outputs for baking out the different texture maps like in the original version. Colour, flow, deposition, height, Ambient occlusion.

Cheers
  • decorix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    decorix polycounter lvl 11
    Hi Buzz,

Great stuff looks very promising. Can't wait to try out some new things. For some reason you're example file crashes (BCORE_EXAMPLE.tmd). Was there a new fix? I'm also also curious how to setup the baking of the textures. Is it something similair Wenda showed in his tutorial? Can you perhaps include a new example file wich includes the nodes for outputting the texture. Thanks so much. Very cool.

The macro is visible and installed!! but running the example file WM2.2 crashes :-(
  • Buzzcore
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    decorix wrote: »
    Hi Buzz,

Great stuff looks very promising. Can't wait to try out some new things. For some reason you're example file crashes (BCORE_EXAMPLE.tmd). Was there a new fix? I'm also also curious how to setup the baking of the textures. Is it something similair Wenda showed in his tutorial? Can you perhaps include a new example file wich includes the nodes for outputting the texture. Thanks so much. Very cool.

The macro is visible and installed!! but running the example file WM2.2 crashes :-(

Hi, I think you may be trying to open the wrong example file. The new one is https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-KgWdxHhEJLVl8wUDhvMGsyUTA/edit

Let me know if that one doesnt work.
  • decorix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Buzzcore,
    Thanks it works now. It would be great if you could add outputs for baking textures. Would you need to add ports to the Main macro (BCORE2.0) Macro OUT.. then add a port then use output node?
  • Buzzcore
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Buzzcore,
    Thanks it works now. It would be great if you could add outputs for baking textures. Would you need to add ports to the Main macro (BCORE2.0) Macro OUT.. then add a port then use output node?

What kind of texture do you wan't output? If you are wanting the full colour texture then just link that node up to an "output bitmap" node. If you are wanting snow/sand/rock maps separately then yes you will have to add outputs to the macro's "output" node, then find the relevant textures and hook them up. A bit like what Wenda does in his tutorial.
  • Benkeeling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Benkeeling polycounter lvl 10
    What kind of texture do you wan't output? If you are wanting the full colour texture then just link that node up to an "output bitmap" node. If you are wanting snow/sand/rock maps separately then yes you will have to add outputs to the macro's "output" node, then find the relevant textures and hook them up. A bit like what Wenda does in his tutorial.

Yer I followed Wenda Tutorial and managed to get the same results, just thought it would be cool to add to the Macro if you wanted to improve on what you have already.

Cheers
  • decorix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Buzzcore,

Basicly some similar outputs Wenda had. Like Difusse,AO, Lightmap,Flowmap,rocks,sand,snow.

I have jumped into the Main macro and I think I need this one. Is this correct? Do you only add ports or do you still need link it with other nodes? Your node setup is very large. How do you know were to link it up too?

Can you perhaps post an example?

How do you go about finding the relevant textures?

http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/7914/32687863.jpg

• Grumpntug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grumpntug polycounter lvl 11
    This is some really great stuff. Thanks for doing this!
  • gartht3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    'main 1' and 'main 2' are the colours for the grass so you can pick any colour you want, do you mean where the grass is highlighted by the sun through a break in the clouds? If so then I could add hue and saturation but there are so many controls already that the macro takes up the entire length if my screen (any more and I wouldn't be able to press 'ok'). I was thinking of splitting the macro into modules for my next one. If you have anything else you would like to see please let me know :)

It's nothing that can't be easily done in photoshop and tbh, everyone should be doing it in photoshop so forget I said anything:P
  • decorix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Buzzcore,

Would it possible to do some reference pic/notes were certain nodes are for outputting each texture. As the setup is very large. I think I have located the Colormap, but other things are difficult to figure out. Or is there a other way to find out what each node is? Thanks.

• gartht3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Buzzcore. I've spent a bit of time with your 'BCORE v2.0 Alpha2', macro and have ended up going back to your 'Buzzcore's terrain' macro. (the previously released macro) There's a lot more to tweak in 'BCORE v2.0 Alpha2', making it a better choice for most but I have no use for the overlays and bump functions for what I am working on atm as will be painting materials in engine. So a simplified versiopn is all I need:) I was wondering if you had thought about re-releasing 'Buzzcore's terrain', with the save bug fixed so we can save in WM v2.2?

Cheers again

G
  • Pioldes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Call me stupid, but I still can't figure out how to use it properly. I opened the example file (BCORE_Example), and I can't seem to get the colors I chose do show up at all. It's stuck on whatever Colortable I select when I open Set Terrain Color. I cannot see the effects of the Macro.

It may be due to me not knowing my way around much in this software, but it's been quite bugging me, as I was excited to use this for my environment. Could someone be able to provide some basic help? That would be very appreciated.

Thanks!
  • decorix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi, I'm not sure if you mean this, but I have example.
    If you double click on the macro on left side window,, then
    it will open up (paparameters) then just adjust the color.

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/9928/wmcolors.jpg

Pioldes wrote: »
    Call me stupid, but I still can't figure out how to use it properly. I opened the example file (BCORE_Example), and I can't seem to get the colors I chose do show up at all. It's stuck on whatever Colortable I select when I open Set Terrain Color. I cannot see the effects of the Macro.

It may be due to me not knowing my way around much in this software, but it's been quite bugging me, as I was excited to use this for my environment. Could someone be able to provide some basic help? That would be very appreciated.

Thanks!
  • Pioldes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi, I'm not sure if you mean this, but I have example.
    If you double click on the macro on left side window,, then
    it will open up (paparameters) then just adjust the color.

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/9928/wmcolors.jpg

I know how to bring the window up, I just can't seem to actually see any of the changes I make. It's probably something very simple, I'm a newbie to this software, it's bugging me a lot : /

Here's the setup (it's the example file): LN9Kpal.jpg?1
  • gartht3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I should of read previous comments before posting regarding outputs:) deleted post.

But yeah, any chance of making life easier and adding the outputs to the macro? Or can tou explain to us what each image is? It's a pretty daunting task to locate all maps when the viewport window is so small.

P.s. I'm using this macro now:) it's really nice.

G
  • Buzzcore
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I should of read previous comments before posting regarding outputs:) deleted post.

But yeah, any chance of making life easier and adding the outputs to the macro? Or can tou explain to us what each image is? It's a pretty daunting task to locate all maps when the viewport window is so small.

P.s. I'm using this macro now:) it's really nice.

G

Hi. Yeah the different outputs will be available onthe next update, as this was the alpha version I just wanted to know that it actually worked. Expect an update pretty soon.
  • gartht3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi. Yeah the different outputs will be available onthe next update, as this was the alpha version I just wanted to know that it actually worked. Expect an update pretty soon.

Well I can confirm everything works well. I've spent a week or so with both macros and the only thing that didn't work was the saves with the older version. Its all about making it easier to use now! Keep it going:)
  • gartht3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey again. I ran into a little problem with your macro and would like to share my solution while I wait for World Machine to finally render my last modification to my terrain.

It's in relation to Unity and splat maps. I found that using your shader I had a lot of trouble getting my splat maps to be sharp and accurate because of the layer blending you have for colour maps. The colour map tends to 'bleed' into the splatted textures from say a green grass to a grey rock, causing some ugly overlapping colour mixtures.

I farted around for a few hours wasting time trying to get it right but was just going around in cicrles till I decided to create the splat manually.

I simply used your macro's colour pickers to create masks of each surface and rendered them out seperately. So for example, sand was just white and all the other colours (for rock and sand and flow) were black. I did this for all surfaces basically making accurate masks from each which included the blending as shades of grey.

Then into photoshop, create a new image (RGB) add an alpha channel and add each mask to the RGBA channels.

I did have to alter some levels of each image to completeley remove any blending and also added some slight g-blur to some.

The results were very good and accurate. Much more accurate than the masks generated in worldmachine.

Hope this helps someone not waste a bunch of hours:P
  • Jesse Meyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi. Fantastic Marco. Thanks. Any updates?
  • decorix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Any plans for a update soon? Can't wait to test out the exported maps thing.
  • ricolas71
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ricolas71 polycounter lvl 12
    Hi guys,

really well done Buzzcore, really nice macro with high flexibility. can't wait to see how further you will push it :)

I got various masks output from it for UDK, and i need a little boost there.

I know the usual splatmap workflow, i also had a look at Wenda's colourmap overlayblend and i was just wondering if there wasn't an other was to kind of mix up both.
    Using all the nice masks rendered from your Macro to paint surface accordingly, and still benefit of the layer painting in UDK landscape. It would be quite handy for my vast terrain.

(i hope i make sense :p )

Cheers
  • gartht3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ricolas71 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

really well done Buzzcore, really nice macro with high flexibility. can't wait to see how further you will push it :)

I got various masks output from it for UDK, and i need a little boost there.

I know the usual splatmap workflow, i also had a look at Wenda's colourmap overlayblend and i was just wondering if there wasn't an other was to kind of mix up both.
    Using all the nice masks rendered from your Macro to paint surface accordingly, and still benefit of the layer painting in UDK landscape. It would be quite handy for my vast terrain.

(i hope i make sense :p )

Cheers

^^^^ U talking Unity? Which engine are you using? If any.
    If your using Unity, get this

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/155185-ats-color-map-ULTRA-shader-RELEASED
  • ricolas71
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey garth, (remember seeing some of your posts. very nice foliage ;) )

It's specifically for Udk. Actually i managed to set up my splatmap yesterday and make it work in 1 layer. so i have the other 3 to paint vairous details.

After this i can actually narrow my question. Is it possible to dynamically edit the splatmap using vertex paint in Udk?

So far i've got most of the job done with 1 layer and the splatmap, and i tweak things here and there painting manually with the 3 remaining layers. but it's a bit texture heavy, even worse when i plug the normals. If i could vertex paint RGBA values and having those changes affecting the splatmap, i could fine tweak on the fly.

It might be a silly question, i'm not really sure what UDk can or can't do :s
  • Darkleopard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey buzz.

I downloaded your macro and example file and put the macro in the macro folder, but its not showing up.

I have successfully gotten the coastal overlay working in my macro folder by simply putting it there so im not sure whats going on. Any ideas?
  • David Wakelin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi, ive followed your tutorial and managed everything, its my first time using world machine so ran into a few issues that have now been resolved.

Only thing id like to quickly ask is, you mention that the macro nodes need to be hooked up to the terrain, how and what do you hook up and to where?

The reason im asking is that ive left it unconnected and it only builds to 83% each time
    Cheers
  • grimsonfart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    grimsonfart polycounter lvl 4
    To anyone that has or had the same problem that i had, that the colors did not work or as in my case the whole terrain was gray, you need to go into the macro, re-load the pictures into the 3 file inputs BUT the first one, Cliff_1 needs to be scaled down as its on my screen probably over 100 pictures. Use the file input on top, re-load the image and while in the little menu use Quick Scaling until its about scaled down to 1 picture (slider should be about half way). Fixed my problem :)
  • grimsonfart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    grimsonfart polycounter lvl 4
    Well, i must say its kind of broken. I have to do this every time i start a new project, and when adding new nodes i even have to re-assign the pictures. Fix would be nice
  • ricolas71
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey grimson
    Maybe you can fix the paths and save the macro again.
    with your macro selected go into Device commande / Save device to library
  • ender360
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ender360 polycounter lvl 6
    Untitled-1.jpg
    hello

really great macro buzzcore!

did anyone else have this issue?

DarrylArtAnimationCG#5878778385366117282

how do you fix it?
    DarrylArtAnimationCG#5878778385366117282
  • decorix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Does the last version have the possibilty to export out your maps yet?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I recently used this macro as a base to create terrain content that I've been testing our terrain shader that will be included in the next release of Marmoset Skyshop for Unity. I wrote up a bit about my process here if anyone is interested: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/184304-Marmoset-Skyshop-Image-Based-Lighting-amp-Tools-RELEASED/page26?p=1344491&viewfull=1#post1344491
  • Faustt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Links seem to be broken, would anyone here share this macros with me please? I can't find this anywhere, and would be a great help.
  • Faustt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bump anyone? really need it for work, would be a great help :(

Edit: Seems it was a firewall issue, sorry
  • Faustt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    anyway to get the older version without the deform, and snow options, that are linked to the sun ? :)

the one used for this image? Having a very hard time with the snow in the new V2, just to hard to get snow where I need it :(

gp3Go.jpg
  • PhobosMoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I've been messing with BCORE v2.0Alpha2 in World Machine and thought maybe I could get a nice splat happening for my terrain for a University project.

I have my custom terrain all sculpted and ready to go. I hook up this macro and re-assign the texture maps and lock the overlay... it works.

Except that everything is covered in snow and I cannot get rid of it!

I think World Machine is treating my entire slice to be really high, or something.

Does anyone have any tips for this issue? Thanks!

Original - ebcp.png

With BCORE - dbw0.png

Thanks in advance for any help!

--

This is the project I'm looking to enhance by using these tools;
    https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=4218
  • Nosslak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nosslak polycounter lvl 12
    You could try adding a Clamp node and normalize the whole terrain by checking the 'Normalize Input' checkbox (it will make your terrain range from the very bottom to the very top). You could also just use a Clamp node and drag the sliders to scale terrain if that is what you want instead.