Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] Arcadia Moon Colony: Military Maintenance Bay

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
wester polycounter lvl 13
LATEST UPDATE:

Finally going to call this one finished. I could tweak and tweak since it's pretty big but I think this is a good stopping point. I'll be uploading bigger images on my site once I get back from vacation tomorrow, and possibly putting together a video of the space.

I set out to put together a sci fi space using halo as my inspiration and am very happy with how it turned out. I think this is a pretty good example of what I can do with a scifi hardsurface environment, and need to try to do something with more organics and textures next.

Hope you guys enjoy!

ArcadiaMoonColony_10_zpscc3ecab2.jpg

ArcadiaMoonColony_11_zpsb922f5d9.jpg

ArcadiaMoonColony_09_zpsb6be83f1.jpg

ArcadiaMoonColony_08_zpsd60477ad.jpg

ArcadiaMoonColony_07_zps320ca27f.jpg

ArcadiaMoonColony_06_zps2e787c31.jpg

ArcadiaMoonColony_05_zps7eef8e7b.jpg

ArcadiaMoonColony_04_zpsfb6ad7aa.jpg

ArcadiaMoonColony_03_zps4f1cddb7.jpg

ArcadiaMoonColony_02_zps4f6fbf6d.jpg

ArcadiaMoonColony_01_zps8fd93744.jpg

I wanted to start up a sci fi scene for the old portfolio. I noticed that I didn't have any personal sci fi stuff and I really wanted to see what I could put together and where that might take me. I'm aiming this piece towards a couple of games/studios specifically.

So with this scene I really want to create an immersive environment. I want some ambient moving parts and even some views of the outside that will really help to tell the story i want to tell with this little maintenance bay. I also want to really push my modeling ability with the mech and props, as well as work on my modular kit creations and texturing/trim textures.

More information to follow but for now here is the console. I wanted to create one prop that will help to represent the style and look of the level, as well as to help create a master material from.

Concept i drew up:
Monitor.jpg

ConsoleRender-2.jpg

and for fun here is the blockout. It's of course in the earliest stages. I want to make sure that walking around the space feels good before i go in and start making art.

Right now the main walkway is feeling alittle tight with the monitors so i'll probably widen the room.

blockout-5.jpg

Hope you guys like and this whole scene is absolutely open for crits! Also i'm AWFUL with names, so if you can come up with a sweet name for this i'm open to ideas :poly136:

Replies

• MisterSande
    Offline / Send Message
    MisterSande polycounter lvl 8
    the machine looks incredible :) I really need to crank up my modeling skills and I am wondering if you know where/how I can learn similar sci fi modeling techniques.
  • vemadesign
    Offline / Send Message
    vemadesign polycounter lvl 12
    Nice! that high poly looks awesome. Great start.
  • wester
    Offline / Send Message
    Highpoly is done! Moving onto the low. I'll probably get rid of the kickstand thing as it's in the way of the "player" to actually stand and use the keyboard hah. This is why i shouldn't be allowed to concept :D

ConsoleRender-5.jpg

ConsoleRender2.jpg
  • ScribbleHead
    Offline / Send Message
    ScribbleHead polycounter lvl 13
    Quite nice and awesome model! But is there a particular reason why you made the screen assymetrical - everything else is symmetrical, and i'd assume its some kind of console to control the thingy (looks like a cramped workspace :P)

Attached some ref, showing how a direct server access console looks like.
    Imho it might look cool and allow for some animations if, when the player approaches the console, the screen moves out and opens up like the ref.
    product_dell.jpg
  • Kon Artist
    Offline / Send Message
    Kon Artist polycounter lvl 8
    looking good! I would simplify the screen shape and kill the kick stand. It might be cool to add a guard rail later. Something like this, but cooler.

WireCrafters-guard-rail-protecting-office-from-forklift.jpg
  • Mio
    Offline / Send Message
    Mio polycounter lvl 13
    the high poly are so sexy !!!! looks awesome! will follow this thread! keep going wester !
  • Darkleopard
    Really nice work! Im in love with all the gear and mechanical pieces
  • rambooze
    Offline / Send Message
    rambooze polycounter lvl 7
    Looks very promising. If the rest will be so solid and sophisticated like your consoles we're gonna have awesome environment! Subscribed :)
  • wester
    Offline / Send Message
    Deleted the kickstand thing.

ConsoleRender-6.jpg
  • wester
    Offline / Send Message
    While i'm working on the lowpoly i'm also drawing up some ideas on what i want the little maintence bay coves to look like. Just quick doodles to get the ideas on paper and help determine what kind of trim textures i'll be making.

I want the mechs to be lowered into the bay from the open cylinder, move forward on the tracks and be worked on. A retractable arm will lower from the ceiling and work on the mechs damaged most. I will be able to tell that story with the mechs being in different stages of repair, with one of course being in the center of the room with the retractable arm, and one being raised up as if it were finished.

This also gives my console some context. They're going to be little fueling stations to help refuel the mechs from that fuel core to the right. Going to have alot of fun with this space!

Enjoy

MechFueling-1.jpg
  • R00
    Offline / Send Message
    R00 polycounter lvl 12
    Looking Great Wester! Really love the overall design, subscribed!!! :)
  • littleclaude
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    Love the way this is shaping up, the guard rail image above is a good idea, looking forward to your future posts.

Just out of interest what are the settings on your grey shader it looks really nice.

Any chance of some wires?
  • JasonLavoie
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Looking very nice :)
  • rambooze
    Offline / Send Message
    rambooze polycounter lvl 7
    Looks promising. God speed!
  • jk_virginia
    looks great wes! one thing on the high poly of the console on the top you have the line of bolts on the side there that look a bit rounded it might be nice to see those a bit more hard edged maybe a bolt instead of rivets. it could give some cool contrast as the rest of the console is more rounded.
  • [HP]
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    This is looking really interesting, will be keeping an eye on.

How modular are you going to make it?
  • Autocon
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    This is looking fantastic Wes, cant wait too see how it turns out buddy :)
  • spectre1130
    Offline / Send Message
    spectre1130 polycounter lvl 6
    Radical high-poly. I can't model this good yet:(. Scene looks like it will be killer. KIU.
  • wester
    Offline / Send Message
    chris1988green:Thanks for the sub! :D
    littleclaude: Thanks! Yeah i'll post up some wires right now.
    Wires-1.jpg
    JasonLavoie : THanks yah sir :D
    rambooze : Thanks rambooze! I'm a huge fan of your toxic caves! That came out SO good!
    jk_virginia: Thanks jake! I'll give that a shot before i bake it down!
    [HP]: Thanks HP! I'ts going to be fairly modular. The little mech maintenance coves will be modular as they repeat alot. I'm going to make some modular wall and floor kits as well. Huge fan of your work by the way. Great great stuff! Loved your scene from a movie.
    Autocon: Thanks bud :D
    spectre1130: You'll get there man! I saw your submarine, it looks good. Just keep at it!

Here's a small update, nothing too fancy. Just blocking out the maintenance coves for now. Moving onto finishing up the console. So the next update should be a finished console by sunday.

blockout-6.jpg
  • wester
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's the bake with the normal map applied. I've unwrapped it in such a way that i can create multiple props with this one texture by squaring off alot of the uv islands.

I'll be texturing it up all day tomorrow.

ConsoleLOW.jpg
  • S2Engine
    Offline / Send Message
    S2Engine polycounter lvl 10
    Bake turned out fantastic, any chance we could see the texture layout? I'm curious how you managed to square off some of those more irregular shapes.
  • wester
    Offline / Send Message
    Just finished up the textures. I'm going to come back to this texture and make it much much more clean looking than i have it now. Given the studio/game i'm trying to aim this towards their textures are much cleaner without as many stains and edge scratches. I'll revisit this once my first set of trim textures are complete. I'll try to nail the style down with the trim textures, and then apply that to this guy.

So this is my master material. I have tint masks and gloss map using the red and green channel of my "mask" texture, as well as reflection and glow. So i'm going to be using this master material for the whole of my scene.

Lightmap is wonky right now which will also be revisited.

ConsoleRend4.jpg

ConsoleRend3.jpg
  • Mr Smo
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Smo polycounter lvl 18
    i love the orange version, this turned out so good!
  • wester
    Offline / Send Message
    Cleaned up the texture alot more last night to help match the style i'm shooting for. I still think the front scratches might be alittle too excessive. I'll probably knock them back alittle and have just a couple scratched edges.

ConsoleTexture.jpg
  • ScottP
    Offline / Send Message
    ScottP polycounter lvl 10
    Looks great! Looking forward to seeing more.
  • wester
    Offline / Send Message
    Some progress. Made the first trim texture set with just diffuse, normal and a quick spec to get it in the engine as soon as possible. So with that i'm just fleshing out some of the maintenance cove details. Going to try to have a finished cove this week.

Once the cove modeling and unwrapping is done i'll give the texture a proper spec.

WIP01.jpg
  • Ehsan Gamer
    Offline / Send Message
    Ehsan Gamer polycounter lvl 6
  • BANGARANG!
    the kickstand was an interesting addition to its design. i could immediately picture myself using it in the real world with it there. if you want to keep it, you could push the keyboardoutward, attached to an arm, so that its not awkward for the person using it.
  • Lonewolf
    Offline / Send Message
    Lonewolf polycounter lvl 18
  • wasabi
    Damnnnnnnnnnnnnn !!!! Love the design!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • leleuxart
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    The texturing, highpoly, and the concepts are really nice! I would look into another color instead of the light blue paint though. It's almost the same color as the monitor and, in my opinion, kind of ruins the mechanical vibe for that model. When I think of paint on machinery, I think of darker or warmer colors. The orange is great though, good contrast with the monitor.

+1 to the UV layout/texture sheet too :)
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
  • wester
    Offline / Send Message
    Tiny update. Haven't been able to work on it as much as i want! But hopefully this Christmas vacation I'll be working on it fulltime.

MechCove_WIP-1.jpg
  • Callesw
    Looks awesome. Like the orange :)
  • wester
    Offline / Send Message
    Getting there! Changing it up from the blue to more of a green environment color. I found some color keys for the spartan ops cinematics on cghub and am starting to use them for help on the colors.

Going to probably ask for a favor on someone to design the mech for me :D

WIP-40.jpg
  • divi
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    really nice progress :)

would've been neat to see the blue-ish lighting with the red light from below. new lighting feels a bit murky - possibly because it removes a fair bit of contrast from the orange parts compared to the rest of the scene. works better for the monitors though....
    tricky one :D will be interesting to see how you go forward with that scene, but so far it looks very promising.
  • wester
    Offline / Send Message
    Going to change those red "landing lights" to orange. I feel like the only red lights should be coming from the little maintenance hole.

Next up fleshing out that ceiling.

WIP-41.jpg
  • Add3r
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    Like Divi said, the lighting is way too murky. You immediately loose almost all of your hard work in your hard surface details. I mean, i LOVE the console and other models you have done so far, but the lighting currently is just killing it. There is no determined light source it seems, as well as some indoor fog. Also, he mentioned loosing your strong contrast points, and I completely agree with him. With the murky lighting and what seems to be indoor fog, everything just blends. I say use the many possible light sources already in the scene and build from there.

My suggestion: Have a bright light, almost sun shaft status, coming from the circular opening in the ceiling of the bay, then a red glow from the bay lights (that you already have) and a faint glow from the under bay with the ladder leading down. You then can use the consoles to throw some cold rim lighting in. That way you have the warm setup for the mech bay, and then blue rim lighting from the side consoles. I think it will lend very nicely to an awesomely lit scene.

The scene is AWESOME when you get past the lighting issues though, and I have been extremely excited to see what you are capable of, after seeing the insanely awesome, extremely detailed console high poly you did. Right now, your lighting is something that would fit an outdoor scene, where you are trying to hide seems, and create a swampy appearance (no offense what so ever meant by this), instead let your work shine and take control of the scene man! Let it be free!! lol

Goodluck! Will be following the progress! :D
  • SoulWind
    Offline / Send Message
    SoulWind polycounter lvl 11
    Loving all the assets, some very enjoyable high polys.

I agree with pretty much all of Add3r's suggestions.

It would be a shame to waste perfectly good assets by having them cloaked in fog.

This is just a quick levels adjustment to help think about your lighting and contrast, obviously don't take it too literally.

wester_arcadia_levels_adjust_zps61f4f56e.gif
  • mikhga
    Offline / Send Message
    mikhga polycounter lvl 8
    This is looking really good so far, looking forward to seeing this finished! But I also agree completely with the previous posters, way to murky lighting at the moment. I think you should push your Reds and Blues as far as the lighting goes, as well as adding more contrast. I also prepared a simple paintover:

paintover_01.jpg
  • wester
    Offline / Send Message
    A sci fi christmasssss!!

WIP-43.jpg
  • DInusty
    Offline / Send Message
    DInusty polycounter lvl 17
    really coming along nice work!
  • roosterMAP
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    i liked the lighting for the last one. too many blue lights are really killing ur yellow.

love the scale tho.

make ur walkways look more like walkways

btw, amazing work. now im motivated to try my own scene. :)
  • AlanSMitchell
    Offline / Send Message
    AlanSMitchell polycounter lvl 14
    Can't wait to see more
  • wester
    Offline / Send Message
    Lighting is still WIP. I'm just kind of adding lights as i make the pieces. Once all of the pieces are done I'll do a more refined lighting pass to try to unify the scene more.

Finished up a door. The pipes and hanging cords are WIP.

WIP-44.jpg
  • warxsnake
    Offline / Send Message
    warxsnake polycounter lvl 8
    Just a question about baking with floaters as I usually never use that method:

Some floaters seem to be very far off the actual surface (like the bolt indents on the top edge); how do you manage to bake those floaters? This is assuming you use a cage that, from my personal understanding, should be really really close to the original mesh to avoid distortion.
    Do you bake with smoothing groups/split UVs, or do you bake a smoothed low poly (1 smooth group).

Thanks!
  • spectre1130
    Offline / Send Message
    spectre1130 polycounter lvl 6
    Yea, coming along great. Those models look awesome. The lighting is a little amiss like most have pointed out, but I'm sure in the end you'll pull out a great lighting scheme. Keep up the awesome work!
  • fragfest2012
    Love it, but I think that blue lighting scheme you had the one before last was the best.
  • BelgianBoolean
    This is fantastic mate :) awesome to see how far it's come
  • wester
    Offline / Send Message
    warxsnake: Yeah when i bake i usually turn the cage off so that the bake is actually capturing the information using the meshes normals. With a cage I usually get some strange distortion with my floaters. I also make sure to turn the cast shadows option off of the geometry that will be floating as to not create any weird AO where there shouldn't be. In worse case scenarios my floaters will come out strange even with the cage off, then i will seclude the problematic chunk and either bake the floater onto a plane and overlay it in photoshop....or tweak my cage until it's right. Hope that helps alittle.

BTW LOVE your farcry stuff! Really really inspiring! I'd love to work in canada one day :D especially montreal!

spectre1130: Thanks! Yeah the lighting is definitely a WIP...im' just kind of building it as i go and will take a good lighting pass after the meshes are all done.

BelgianBoolean: Thanks man! :D