Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Top down ship shooter

Replies

• SimonT
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    is the comic shader also availiable in the game or just for "cutscenes"?
  • Eskema
    Offline / Send Message
    Eskema polycounter lvl 4
    Hi, I'm the programmer of the game, glad to see that you guys are loving the project, we're trying to make something as polished as possible :)

SimonT, the comic is just for the cutscenes :)
  • tucho
    Offline / Send Message
    tucho polycounter lvl 17
    Oh crap! the programmer has found my thread, now I have to share the credit :P

Some updates of the project:

A couple of new enemy ships (one water unit and one bonus unit)

concept_trilobite.jpg

ew_trilobite.jpg

es_butterfly.jpg

The dangerous alien pods

alien_pod_open2.jpg

pods_ingame.jpg

And the first Boss at last! :D, I hope to post some pictures of the boss ingame soon.

final_boss_01_2.jpg

fb_worm.jpg
  • ruberboy
    Offline / Send Message
    ruberboy polycounter lvl 10
    Really nice art congrats.

Have you tried the Top view (ortographic) like old videogames? I dont know, but If a game has the classic feel, the point of view is very important... but it's your decision of course.

On another thing. A lot of neogeo games used prerendered sprites, like Strikers 1945 and some of the most techy ones like blazing star, this last one used may be some painterly tricks because it doesn't look that 3d for the time, most like cel-shading.

No crits from the game and hope to hear from it. Cheers.
  • tucho
    Offline / Send Message
    tucho polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks for your comments ruberboy. We were playing a bit with the camera point of view when we started to work on this project. We wanted to make it isometric (see the first posts on this thread) and the isometric camera in fact looks really cool, but we had some gameplay issues because that point of view and finally we decided to use the typical top down point of view, in any case we want to use the perspective,if we wanted to make it orthographic we probably made directly a 2D game.

We use some spritesheets for explosions and other stuff, but as I said we want to make a 3D game so we tried to use fake sprites just when it is strictly necessary (or when the visual result is the same but the performance is better).

Cheers!
  • Quack!
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    Great work man so far.

My only concern is that the enemies and player ship can get lost in the noise of the background. I think a bit more saturation in your enemys and player ship will help seperate the background and the playfield and might make everything a bit easier to read.

Regardless, keep on trucking!
  • ultra
    Offline / Send Message
    ultra polycounter lvl 18
    When a new gameplay video?

one more time, very cool!