Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Tips on drawing different camera angles?

JordanN
interpolator
Offline / Send Message
JordanN interpolator
Hey guys. If some of you remember, I previously made a thread with my on going bout with environment drawing.

So far, I've gotten better with perspective drawing but now I've run into a new roadblock. Camera angles. One thing perspective hasn't taught me is how do you deal with scenes that may or may not involve a sky?
Examples:
Top down
z5JGz.jpg
looking down a building
GMGxC.jpg
over the shoulder
MhyDk.jpg
All while trying to maintain those one or two point perspectives.

Replies

• fightpunch
    Offline / Send Message
    fightpunch polycounter lvl 10
    Its still exactly the same rules of perspective, its just your horizon line wont be on the page :)
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Offline / Send Message
    jeremiah_bigley polycounter lvl 15
    exactly what fightpunch said! Tracing lines over and image can help you find the vanishing points.
  • JordanN
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Woah cool. I didn't know you could tilt the horizon line diagonally. I also tried doing the three point but I found it confusing where the characters went.

But thanks, I'll definitely study those references.
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Offline / Send Message
    jeremiah_bigley polycounter lvl 15
    In the first image the blue plane I drew was what I drew to represent what they were standing on. It is not the horizon line. All the horizon line is is where the sky meets the ground. I guess it could be tilted depending on what you are drawing.
  • BARDLER
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    In the first image the blue plane I drew was what I drew to represent what they were standing on. It is not the horizon line. All the horizon line is is where the sky meets the ground. I guess it could be tilted depending on what you are drawing.

That is not entirely true. It is the line that is parallel to your line of sight when you look straight. The actual area where the sky meets the ground can be placed where ever, but the lines of your drawing must all converge to your points placed on the horizon line. When you move the horizon line up or down you are tilting the camera/viewers vision down or up respectively. This tilting introduces 3 point perspective because the vertical lines are no longer parallel to your sight and they need its own vanishing point based off the amount of tilting.