Home General Discussion

Learning Zbrush is driving me nuts!

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
DavePhipps polycounter lvl 7
God, I couldn't figure it out. I had to go through all the digital tutors starter videos step by step just to figure out the wonky UI.
I know it has powerful tools and I've seen amazing things created with it, but it makes me want to punch my monitor!

I'll get it, but I had to vent.

Sculptris is much easier, but it'smissing all the cool features Zbrush has.

Replies

• Pix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pix
    After a month of time you will get used to it, the more time you spend in program figuring out things on your own is a bonus.
  • DavePhipps
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    THis program reminds me of a few ex-GFs. Completely farking psycho nuts but fun where it counted, and leaves me confused but smiling.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Just learn the tools with time, no secrets here.

Also, you can customize your UI.
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Apparently I'm one of those weird people who likes the UI. Maybe if you're trying to learn ALL the features at once you should slow it down and focus on just one aspect at a time until the GUI makes sense to you?
  • GrevSev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GrevSev polycounter lvl 9
    I like the UI too I looove how customizable it Is
    Didn't like it at first
    A week went buy then it grew on me. 8 months later I customize ye old UI.

The thing i disliked the most was how it handled rotation with Alt and its free rotation around all Axis now i prefer it over all others.

The transpose tool can fuck off though its a disgrace to transform manipulators
  • sonictk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've learned it, and I still hate it. But until 3D Coat's voxel sculpting performance improves, it's still pretty much the best when it comes to sculpting (I still prefer MB for textures though)
  • JamesQuall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesQuall polycounter lvl 7
    My problem with the program is a lot of thing could be short cutted with turning a lot of functions into it's own button without having to do 3 things first.
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    Learn how to draw a sphere, how to convert to dynamesh, and learn how to sculpt with a couple of brushes - everything else is fluff. (mostly)
  • Fwap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
    I pretty much learnt by trial and error.

Try do something > Fail > Find Solution > learnt something new.
  • DavePhipps
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap wrote: »
    I pretty much learnt by trial and error.

Try do something > Fail > Find Solution > learnt something new.

That'a exactly where I'm at right now.

Hazardous, I've already learned to convert to dynamesh but that opens up another kettle of worms that I'm learning to sort through. The main one being losing definition when I dynamicly subdivide. DRiving me bonkers.
  • zicoV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What held me off zbrush for a long time was the learning curve looked pretty fucking steep.

So about 6 months ago I bought some dvd's and dedicated a few weeks to learning zbrush every night and I'm still learning new things everytime i start it up.

So bottom line is that there is no easy way of learning so you will have to go the hard way of trial and error :)
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    some ppl call it wonky, some ppl call it intuitive.

break free of the old and embrace the new dude!
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    http://youtu.be/xAQcXIl0Qmc

People at my non-gamestudio work are learning zbrush. Everyone is bemused and baffled by it's decisions to throw most CG program put the window, but after enough time you just remember the weird way zbush does things and notice less and less.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    I love the UI as well. It shouldn't take long for the basics to kick in, and once it does, the program actually begins to feel pretty easy to use (sculpting skill being a different issue). I think the main thing is just learning the difference between it's 2.5D side and the 3d side.

Hold Ctrl over every button. Instant help is awesome.
    The main one being losing definition when I dynamicly subdivide. DRiving me bonkers.

You can try increasing the dynamesh's resolution, up to 2048 (which could leave you with a very heavy/dense mesh). The scale of the model makes a difference as well if you're importing from another program. Also try using Dynamesh's project option to preserve an existing shape better.

Lastly, keep in mind dynamesh is more suited for creating basemeshes. Personally I try to turn it off as soon as I have a shape I like, and then I start subdividing and sculpting in the real detail like normal.
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    also, besides ctrl, holding down alt gives additional informtion for some buttons and tools.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    just thinking that if dynmamesh is mainly for creating base meshes why not just use zspheres instead. I find dynamesh a bit hard to use, mainly because it's at 1( or generally you are working at a higher res than a traditional base mesh) resolution and its harder to pull shapes aorund than if you have a low res base mesh to start from.
    perhaps I am missing something.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    There are different advantages. There can be a lot more work involved with zspheres when it comes to creating certain forms, where dynamesh lets you work with any primitive or existing mesh at your disposal. Combine a stick figure armature and the basic insert brushes with dynamesh and it can feel a lot more like working with clay rather than building a 3d model normally. There's no shame in keeping the resolution low if you need to step up and down sub-d levels to make large changes, or you could just use dynamesh to hammer out a rough shape and then retopologize it in order to have a mesh that better fits that workflow.
  • 3DKnight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DKnight polycounter lvl 17
    Importing Tools, Brushes and their options, Layers, Subtools, Dynamesh and Decimation Master

All YOU NEED :p

learn the rest with time.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavePhipps wrote: »
    That'a exactly where I'm at right now.

Hazardous, I've already learned to convert to dynamesh but that opens up another kettle of worms that I'm learning to sort through. The main one being losing definition when I dynamicly subdivide. DRiving me bonkers.
    Set the "Blur" to zero. :)
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    I used to be really scared of Zbrush, held off from using it just because it looked like a pain to work with... I learned really what I had to and pushed through it and now it's not so bad!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I feel your pain, its almost better if you never touched a 3D program before in your life.

It's hard to let go of the ways you interact with 3D object in other programs like max or maya but you just have to let that all go and learn their weirdo way of doing things. After a while it starts to make sense, for me that took a long while because I hated having to fight it just to do basic things. Drove me nuts, it still kind of does.

I barely use it now, even though I own it and keep it updated. It's something I felt like I needed to know to do certain things but I still don't enjoy it like other people do. I'm happy to fill my time doing other things.

About 2 years ago I sat down for 2mo and dedicated a few hours each week to getting over the gag reflex. If I used it more it probably would have been less. I got about as far as hazardous described. There is a bunch of stuff I'm not sure how it works or what it does but I can sculpt and do most of what I want to do with it but I haven't dug into a lot of the other stuff yet and I've just come to accept that I'm not going to bother with it unless it does something I really need to do or somehow I find the time and interest to learn it.

At this point the only thing holding me back is a focus on other things that I find a lot more fun like animation and my lack of practice/refinement. It still hurts my brain a bit to switch gears but the more I use it the less it hurts. But yea I feel your pain, it gets better you just have to put in more time with it.

Just go with it...
  • Gestalt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gestalt polycounter lvl 11
    Basically what Hazardous said. Use whatever you need to make your forms, so you can start in Sculptris or with zspheres or a poly sphere and stretch it and dynamesh it to get the basic shape of what you're making.

Dynamesh is good for quickly remeshing your forms as you're working, getting them down quickly and merging things together. After you get your form down you can use qremesher to get a cleaner mesh for subdividing and working on more detail.

Look into features like 'freeze subdivision levels' and 'project'. When your comfortable with those things, I'd suggest watching all of the zclassroom videos and following along with them on your own.
  • maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous wrote: »
    Learn how to draw a sphere, how to convert to dynamesh, and learn how to sculpt with a couple of brushes - everything else is fluff. (mostly)

I can agree to some extend, yes. I've personally been using zbrush for about 4 years now. And for what it does (sculpting, organic detailing workflow, masks, displacements, etc etc), its the best tool around zero doubt in that matter. But also I realize that there are tons of stuff I don't know about zbrush (example: fibermesh, zspheres, lights, zsketch and to some extend extreme hard surface /shadowbox/)

But having said that, I personally dont need any of those features, as that part of the process is done somewhere else in my workflow, so I wont bother to learn it just for the sake of it. Theres tons and tons of stuff to learn..not only in zb but across many apps.

I have a workflow in zb that I am very happy with, and thats probably using 50% of the app total features, and maybe around 5 to 10 brushes.
    (ocasionally some more, and lots of custom alphas) I dont even use any special matcap or any of that jazz. I know for what I need zbrush and thats to generate highres detail, refine mid res detail and concept quickly for retopo and further mesh detailing.

So yeah, thats basically it. Ocasionally some new stuff comes along that I truly find useful. (again thats personally) like the new noise generator. So in that case is worth learning.

I know each person have different needs, and so every industry. Film, Video games, Arch viz... etc

So what I'll advice you is to try to anticipate what is that you want to accomplish with the tool (zbrush, maya, xsi, 3ds, nuke ..etc etc...those are simply tools, very cool ones, but tools in the end) And then find the workflow that fits you the best. That ll save you lots of time in the future.

knowing stuff for knowing stuff might sound cool, but is it really useful?
    Also this is to take carefully because it is also a good practice to try and learn different ways to accomplish a task. In the end its a bit of trial and error as people is been pointing out. Eventually it ll become more natural to identify what you really need and why.

Hope this helps
  • DavePhipps
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the advice guys.
    Maze the main reason I even started doing art was to bring my imagination to reality. Everything else is cake. At this point in time that's my only goal with these tools.OnceI start to learn the tools better I can get more specific.

Right now I'm importing my base meshes from sculptris or max. That my main goal right now is to learn the workflow and the issues that can happen. Reset Xform has now be relearnt on the Max side. Qremesher for the tesselated Scuptris models. Next is learning the sculpting tools. I basically have the interface down now.

Mark, I can completely understand how you feel. Working in IT, I have to use somany UIs and interface with new programs all the time and can usually learn them quickly. Zbrush has the steepest learning curve of any of the softwares that I've ever tried to learn on my own.