Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Welcome to CeleryLand!

Replies

• GrimFiction
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is really special. I like the sense of depth and scale to this environment, great work!
  • MikeGalli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is incredibly inspiring!! I love all the work and concepts!
  • Metzger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd love to see some wireframe breakdown on some of these items, especially the land pieces (I.E. Rock over hangs) I'm aspiring to be an environment artist and I would like to know the tri-count on items such as that to better my understanding of it.
  • Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    Brilliant stuff, so motivating! Subscribed! :)
  • futurepoly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks everyone, here is the latest chapter in the architecture series. This goes over creating tiling textures in Z-Brush. It specifically shows how I created the hexagonal roof texture that is mentioned in the first chapter.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufZAf9egWYI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufZAf9egWYI[/ame]

@ Metzger- Here are some wireframes from the boulders and cliff-overhangs. When doing non animating environment pieces such as rocks and cliffs we usually sculpt them in Z-brush and use decimation master to create the lowpoly mesh. The end result doesn't create the prettiest wireframes but since they are static geometry it doesn't matter. I've also found Max's pro optimize does a great job as well and even retains most uvs.

Here are the boulders Danny made.

CeleryLand56.jpg

And here is the cliff overhang. I decided to bake the diffuse color and Ao into the vert color since cryengine doesn't have multiple uv channels. I also had to have a slightly higher poly count since I needed verts to store the lighting info. In addition the diffuse grass and rock tile are almost completely desaturated.

CeleryLand55.jpg
  • J0NNYquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J0NNYquid polycounter lvl 5
    Where were you before I threw 1000's of dollars in a hole with my degree :). I keep coming back, and every time there's just more and more wonderful knowledge getting dispensed. You guys rock. Keep em' coming.
  • Anthy9986
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anthy9986 polycounter lvl 7
    I have watched a lot of tutorial videos and I have to say that you do an excellent job explaining things. You don't assume the viewer has an extensive knowledge of the program and take the time to walk them through it step by step. Kudos on the nice work :)
  • neverwander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neverwander polycounter lvl 7
    Tilda key tiling. MIND = BLOWN

50462ea2afa96f1e190008a6.gif
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BenHenry polycounter lvl 11
    I love everything in this thread.
    I've been looking at taking classes at future poly for a while now, but can't due to the fact I do not live near Bellevue!
  • joshschmitt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joshschmitt polycounter lvl 11
    futurepoly wrote: »
    Thanks everyone!

@JoshSchmitt- I don't know about almost finished as I plan on getting vehicles, characters and fleshing the tower out. How have things been? You should drop into open lab sometime and show off your new work.

Things have been good, still learning and figuring out new tricks. I now have some free time so I might be able to stop by, I have just been working on a couple scenes, nowhere near finished yet. I got to get things in motion and stay motivated!
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Just watched your video for texturing. Really nice job with the grid texture. I usually just block out the base in Max/Maya and bring into ZBrush laid out and hit f. Your way is much easier.

One thing I noticed instead of hitting t and redrawing/scaling each time you draw a mesh on the canvas you can just hit Shift + S to stamp it and then just move your tool around and repeat till ~.

I like using export doc instead of MRGBZ Grabber too. :D Looking forward to the next one.
  • neilberard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neilberard polycounter lvl 17
    Wow, the work looks really sick!
  • futurepoly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks guys!
    J0NNYquid wrote: »
    Where were you before I threw 1000's of dollars in a hole with my degree :). I keep coming back, and every time there's just more and more wonderful knowledge getting dispensed. You guys rock. Keep em' coming.

I know, that's the biggest thing I'm up against when talking with parents. They don't want to except that a degree isn't as useful as a solid portfolio in the art industry.
    Anthy9986 wrote: »
    I have watched a lot of tutorial videos and I have to say that you do an excellent job explaining things. You don't assume the viewer has an extensive knowledge of the program and take the time to walk them through it step by step. Kudos on the nice work :)

Thanks, It's hard to balance between too much information and not enough so I'm glad its working for you.
    BenHenry wrote: »
    I love everything in this thread.
    I've been looking at taking classes at future poly for a while now, but can't due to the fact I do not live near Bellevue!

Well once I wrap up the online CeleryLand curriculum you won't have an excuse :)
    Just watched your video for texturing. Really nice job with the grid texture. I usually just block out the base in Max/Maya and bring into ZBrush laid out and hit f. Your way is much easier.

One thing I noticed instead of hitting t and redrawing/scaling each time you draw a mesh on the canvas you can just hit Shift + S to stamp it and then just move your tool around and repeat till ~.

I like using export doc instead of MRGBZ Grabber too. :D Looking forward to the next one.

Thanks Jeff, that shift S is going to restore sanity to many students and myself.
    neilberard wrote: »
    Wow, the work looks really sick!

thanks Neil, I hope everything is going good with you. That Zombie character you've been working on is looking insane!

Ryan Demita from Bungie did some cool sketches for the mining characters and equipment during a class demo. I decided to start a weapon tutorial that covers basic subD modeling, baking, and the Ddo workflow.

CeleryLand57.jpg

Some renders of the lowpoly Wrench out of marmosetToolbag.

CeleryLand59.jpg

And heres the wrench in CryEngine.

CeleryLand60.jpg

Also I finished a quick CryEngine setup tutorial here.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayIh01czPlc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayIh01czPlc[/ame]
  • Jpeppa
  • polyly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You're only one who can beat everything! Make better & better! Thanks. :poly121:
  • PHArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your lectures are phenomenal.. I'm actually just going to use Zbrush for my textures now.

Thank you.
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    Man. This wrench can serve as entire scene ;o.
  • gametime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gametime polycounter lvl 8
    futurepoly wrote: »
    thanks everyone, here is the latest chapter in the architecture series. This goes over creating tiling textures in Z-Brush. It specifically shows how I created the hexagonal roof texture that is mentioned in the first chapter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufZAf9egWYI

@ Metzger- Here are some wireframes from the boulders and cliff-overhangs. When doing non animating environment pieces such as rocks and cliffs we usually sculpt them in Z-brush and use decimation master to create the lowpoly mesh. The end result doesn't create the prettiest wireframes but since they are static geometry it doesn't matter. I've also found Max's pro optimize does a great job as well and even retains most uvs.

Here are the boulders Danny made.

CeleryLand56.jpg

And here is the cliff overhang. I decided to bake the diffuse color and Ao into the vert color since cryengine doesn't have multiple uv channels. I also had to have a slightly higher poly count since I needed verts to store the lighting info. In addition the diffuse grass and rock tile are almost completely desaturated.

CeleryLand55.jpg

while i enjoy all of your tutorials, i would like to request one on how to use methods like vertex baking, etc. in cryengine 3, bc modularity (texture wise) is quite difficult to achieve with this engine.

cheers
  • Fisty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fisty polycounter lvl 8
    nice tutorials, cant wait till there all done :O
  • Hofsta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amazing work. Subscribed and eagerly awaiting updates :D
  • Roxxor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Roxxor polycounter lvl 9
    Every time I see Celeryland has popped to the front page of P&P I get super excited. Thank you for all the great explanations, from a complete noob in creating game art.
  • futurepoly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone, I'm excited to share with you a new game I've been working on this past year. Its a Contra style 2d shooter set in the Celeryland environment. Check out the vid here. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1022212678/bullet-bros

the high rez youtube version of the vid

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUcYY48xO3M"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUcYY48xO3M[/ame]
  • Eliteabix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eliteabix polycounter lvl 5
    This thread is fucking amazing... excuse my french.

I think I love you.
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Not okay that your thread got knocked back to page two. Your new project is just too good.

Make a new thread, either here or in General Discussion, don't be shy! Show it off! Your stuff is some of the best this site has ever seen! You need to get more attention than you're getting.

Guys, as polycounters it's in our best interest and Jason's to see this project succeed. Let's do what we can to help him out.

This needs a news post and a thread.
  • SittingDucky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SittingDucky polycounter lvl 10
    oooh maaan! amazing project :)
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Best. Thread. Ever.
  • thebamboobear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thebamboobear polycounter lvl 9
    This is a great thread! Thank you for those tutorials, really helpful ^^
    Subscribed!
  • mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really inspiring to see someone take awesome art and do more with it.
  • Lucas Annunziata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucas Annunziata polycounter lvl 13
    Amazing thread with boatloads of information. Thanks for this.
  • futurepoly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello Everyone,

We are proud to announce our first online 3D Modeling for Games course! The main focus of this course is for students to build a complete environment portfolio piece so instructor feedback and critique will be a large portion of the class.

Check out the Video Syllabus here to see the course structure and please help pass it along to anyone that might be interested. The first session of the class will be very small so that each student gets proper guidance. Contact us at register@futurepoly.com if you would like to be added to the waiting list.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PX1PG-IKO0"]3d Modeling for Games: Online Course Syllabus - YouTube[/ame]

Thank you!

Jason Stokes
  • mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dropped you an message to the futurepoly info email address with a few quick questions :)
  • R00
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R00 polycounter lvl 12
    How did I miss this thread! Great work man!
  • macoll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    macoll polycounter lvl 13
    Thanks for sharing, brillant work and ideas.
  • Minato
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minato polycounter lvl 5
    How did I miss this, so inspiring, makes me wanna try this...
  • Xaragoth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaragoth polycounter lvl 8
    This is double fun for me as a Level Designer. Very nicely done.

If it wasn't so absurdly expensive (though rightly so with the quality) I'd probably consider it just to brush up my environment and texturing skills. Alas, I'll dream while I save.
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Xaragoth wrote: »

If it wasn't so absurdly expensive (though rightly so with the quality)

It is very expensive indeed. But also, you have to consider what you get. I have taken a CGWorkshop, and gotten zero out of it.
    I have also taken Scott Eatons courses, which was expensive, but learned a ton.
    I saw a sample lesson today, and I am thinking this might be worth it for aspiring artists.
    I am working in AAA as an environment artist myself, but I am actually considering taking this anyway. Seems to be such a high quality, and FINALLY a course that is concise!
    I love not having to skip through 20 mins of com,pletely boring nonsensical bullshit, to actually find that one sentence that teaches me something :p
  • Xaragoth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon wrote: »
    It is very expensive indeed. But also, you have to consider what you get. I have taken a CGWorkshop, and gotten zero out of it.
    I have also taken Scott Eatons courses, which was expensive, but learned a ton.
    I saw a sample lesson today, and I am thinking this might be worth it for aspiring artists.
    I am working in AAA as an environment artist myself, but I am actually considering taking this anyway. Seems to be such a high quality, and FINALLY a course that is concise!
    I love not having to skip through 20 mins of com,pletely boring nonsensical bullshit, to actually find that one sentence that teaches me something :p

Ye, I'll still have to save up a few months to afford one lesson :P It's like half the average income over here. Not saying it's pricetag isn't worth it, just that it's very costly. Like "I can either have food or art skills" costly :D
  • martinszeme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    martinszeme polycounter lvl 8
    Need to save up! For a quality education I'd say its very cheap. Especially condensed and in no-nonsense way. Great thread, need to read through all detailed replies now.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Personally I think the cost is cheap! A lot of schools now a days cost upwards of 10,000 a semester. So its at least 2,000 per class and often times the class is complete bull shit and you are only taking it to fulfill a requirement for your degree. Just watching the video and reading up a bit on the class, I honestly feel you could learn more with this one class than a whole degree of course work at some of the various colleges that offer a video game degree. If you can't afford it take out a loan or something because if you are serious and it lands you a job it will be a tiny investment in the long run. Anyway, that's how I see it personally. If they had a character art class I would def. consider taking it myself.
  • Xaragoth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Compared to taking a educational course at specialized schools and unis it certainly is (Those are usually only worth it to have a completed education to show off to the state and some industry networking). Clearly a better investment in terms of actual skills. But with running costs, you're probably better off not taking a loan and just saving up for a few more months. If you can prevent a loan, prevent it ;)

Character Art classes would certainly be interesting and round it out nicely for anyone looking to get into game art.
  • martinszeme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    martinszeme polycounter lvl 8
    I was wondering if in the future you might release the training as set of DVDs + some sort of book or written training material? I am planing to apply sometime next year, but was wondering if in the future you would consider some alternative way of delivering the education?