Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Gas Station [UDK]

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
stFLod polycounter lvl 10
Hello everyone, this is my first post on polycount!

A scene i'm currently working on in UDK. An old deserted gas station left to decay on its own. The ground is vertex-painted with four different textures and blendmasks. Please give feedback!

Next in line: mountains in the background, work on the grass some more, do touch-ups on the house and gas pump. Then model a gas station sign and some more landscape variation and ad more props.

21.jpg

16.jpg
18.jpg
17.jpg
16.jpg
13.jpg12.jpg
10.jpg

Replies

• SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    Nice! Although if I were you I would have made tiling textures for that building.

Also does that gas pump have a spec map? If not you should to get some materialy defination in there!

and why is there a weird ridge between the road and the sand? I think you need to tighten up where the road and sand meet as well It is pretty defined.

http://www.freeimageslive.co.uk/files/images006/desert_road.jpg

Looking nice though!That gas pump has a really nice diffuse!
  • guhhh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    guhhh polycounter lvl 9
  • nedwork
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Love the gas pump. If I'm doing this in cryengine, I would make a gloss map. It makes the material much better. For the house, I agreed with SaferDan about the tiling textures. You can also make just one window texture and reuse it.
  • Azaraen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Azaraen polycounter lvl 10
    This looks pretty solid! Except for one thing though, your road looks raised in the middle. Was that an intentional design?
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Is there any particular reason you're using unique textures everywhere?
  • stFLod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone, glad to hear you like it!

SaferDan: Thanks for all the feedback, your right about the road and the ridge, gonna try to redo it a little and also fix the texture along the edge of the road.

As for the pump, I have a spec, but I have to work on it some more and also give it a glossmap as many of you has written and also ad some of the texturedetails in the normalmap I guess. Haven't experimented that much with glossmaps yet, have to dive in to that some more.

The house texture is tiled for some parts and i'm also reusing alot of the uv-space having uvshells overlapping eachother, the roof for example. My plan is to put different signs and details in the windows. I'm not gooing for superoptimization in this sceene, I want to concentrate more on making everything work togehter. The house is kind of the mainpeice so I wanted make it more unique, but if you have any tips on optimization and tiling, please share.

Evolyn: yes it was intentional, but maybe the yellow stripes in the middle makes it look like a two-lane road instead of a one-lane. Maybe its a bit to much aswell, I'm going to tone that down aswell when when i change the ridge.
  • stFLod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So, I've worked some more on the road and also added some landscape in the background. Changed the sky aswell and discovered postprosess chains, damn that made a difference!
    20.jpg