Home Technical Talk

2 Random Max problems.

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
jordan.kocon polycounter lvl 6
I am having 2 strange issues in max that just started occurring a few days ago and I cannot remember if this followed a crash or what, but here's what's happening...

Issue #1: Whenever I import an fbx (I havent changed my fbx settings) the mesh appears fine, but as soon as I do something to it (mirror it, break off a piece, add a cut, etc.) it breaks the smoothing groups. I'm not sure why editing these meshes breaks the smoothing groups, but it's a pain to have to re-do the smoothing groups every time I edit a mesh.

Issue #2: My weld tool isn't working as it used to. If I mirror an object, select all the verts and hit weld, overlapping verts that used to merge together at 0.01 cm are no longer merging together. I have to crank the distance way up, but I am worried about merging other verts that are not overlapping. My units are still in centimeters and my grid spacing is set to 'major grid line every 10 cm' so I am not sure why this weld isn't working as it used to :(

Any help with these would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    Issue #2:

Welding/units problems are often caused by wrong scaling. Just try using the reset xform and weld again.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    #1, Does it go completely crazy like each face is smoothed differently? I've had that before when importing meshes and applying edit normals, will usually fix it. Or doing the old trick of "create a box, apply edit poly, attach the mesh to the box and delete the box".

#2, like C86G said, that normally is a scale issue. Sometimes it's not with the objects scale, but with what the scene scale is set to. Our modelers like to work at a much smaller scale, but then before passing off the model scale it up and reset xform. Every model we receive gets scale checked before it gets rigged and put in game.