Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[Dota 2] - Doom Bringer - TBD

Starboxx
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Starboxx polycounter lvl 11
Okay, so here is my new post. (as my first idea was a Slardar set)

So far, i've not been concepting it on 2D, since i had a clear idea of what i want for it.

I started to create a base mesh for the helmet into maya & concepted it that way.

Here is the result after importing the base mesh into Zbrush & start sculpting it a bit.

doomhelmetscreenshots.jpg

I didnt worked on the other parts yet, but i will probably work on this today. I was thinking about a mace for the weapon, maybe, as (i think) the animation could be ok for it.

Replies

• Clyptic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clyptic polycounter lvl 6
    Not to be a buzz kill, but this looks a bit close to a helm in Diablo.

http://l.yimg.com/ck/image/A2377/2377098/300_2377098.png
  • Starboxx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh damn, that's right, it looks close. I guess it's about the shape of the horns...
    Do you think it can be a problem?

Funny thing is, i actually played D3 as a barbarian, and got such a helmet, but didnt even thought about it when i made this one for doom...

I just created a basic helmet shape (without horns) on doom's head in maya, then painted different shapes of horns over a screenshot in photoshop and took this one for my basemesh...

doomconceptscopy.jpg
    doomhelmet01.jpg

If this is a problem, i might give up doom and go back to slardar's set i guess...
  • Clyptic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clyptic polycounter lvl 6
    I can't really say how much of a problem it is, I just noticed it immediately which could hurt you in the judging if they do as well. Nice model though.
  • Starboxx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, i really don't know what to do.

In one way, there is a lot of differences between the D3 helmet and my helmet (for example the shape around the eye is way different), and... When you come to design something, it will always looks more or less close to something else existing, either you know it or not. I could change the horns, but i remember having a hard time to find a good shape wich fit doom when you see him from a distance.

In an other way... This situation really sucks.

I think i will put doom on a side for a moment and work on slardar's set untill i find a solution or have more feedback about this problem.
  • FrostBite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the helmet is sufficiently different from the one in D3 and it will look even more so when you add colors, so I wouldn't worry about it. Hey, there is only that many shapes of horns, whatever you choose it will be a bit like somebody else's horned helmet...