Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Brave New World Environment [WIP]

Replies

• Eclectus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like what you've achieved, there is a real sense of scale, and detail. The gantries, the pillars and multi level parallel platforms, it feels believable and good.
  • Eclectus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good :)

I like the sense of scale, with gantries going across, multiple levels on both sides, pillars, railings. My only suggestion, is that you could consider working in some porous concrete perhaps for the large pillars? This would contrast well with the metals in the scene and distinguish them as being structurally different?

I like the maglev a lot.
  • TheRealFroman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheRealFroman polycounter lvl 11
    thanks dude! I actually had some concrete pillars in there a while ago if you looked a the previous screenshots ^^ I changed them to a different style though...I felt like it could look better in a different manner. However your right in saying some different materials in the background would really help the viewer differentiate the multiple elements within an image. I will have to keep this in mind for the future!
  • Eclectus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah your right, you've explored concrete also. A very dramatic and pleasing image. :)
  • benji
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    benji polycounter lvl 7
    Wow, really awesome work :) I would say the composition still needs some attention though, and some colour changes could help too. Some of these have already been mentioned but here's what I would do:

- Reduce the purple and get some colour variation in there. I like the hint of orange in the foreground fog, but I think some cools further back, and maybe some subtle distance fog, would help reinforce the distance
    - Get some rim lighting from behind the train to pop out the edges, if that's what you want to draw attention to. Also consider some stronger lighting on the front/side to pop it out from the background (as they are the same value at present). Maybe some spotlights, as subtle rays from the top right could help compositionally too
    - The fog you've got coming up from behind the train could be ramped up to really reinforce the train as the main focal point of the scene
  • TheRealFroman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Benji! I took your criticisms along with nearly everyone else, and made some changes to the colors and composition, I hope this rendition is better once again :)

I'm really really happy with how this came out ^^ I hope this time its nearly done so I can focus more on new projects haha

FielO.jpg
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    Nobody's replied, (probably no good critiques) but I think it's a big step up! All of the main subjects are visible and noticed with a quick look. I'm not amazing at fine tuning composition, but I think it's solid enough to move on. Good job. :)
  • TheRealFroman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Avanthera! I really appreciate all the help you've been giving me man!
  • Gestalt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gestalt polycounter lvl 11
    Too much contrast now in my opinion. The strong contrast makes the indirect lighting and dynamic range feel like they aren't present, which makes it feel very cg. The increased saturation of the lighting doesn't help either.

You had good atmospheric perspective before, you don't want to lose that. Color variation with the lighting and atmosphere can be used to enhance the sense of space, so if you have cooler tones produced by the fog as it goes further back and warmer lighting near the front, then you help the viewer make sense of the space. I think that's what other comments are referring to.
  • djoexe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    djoexe polycounter lvl 7
    love the more saturated color scheme, its has its own unique feel. If I was you, I would call this DONE ! The scene is complexe enough in my opinion. Great job mate, really inspiring stuff :D
  • TheRealFroman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks so much for the kind words DJoexe! It really means a lot, that's the first time anyone's ever called my work inspiring O.o your own stuff looks great by the way!

Thank you gestalt for your thoughts! I feel like if I keep going with this image there will always be something to fix, even if I revise it like 5 more times or so haha, and I don't have all the time in the world so I really need to start on new things. If I come back to this image later ill be sure to keep what you have said in mind :) thank you!!
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Hey man! Lovely work! :D

If you don't mind I made a lighting paint-over for you and ofcourse it's okay to dismiss it if you don't like it but just take a look at it ^^

What I'm trying to show you here is to use more color in your lights. Use different types of same neon-like colors to highlight interesting areas of your scene. You'll end up with way more depth and interesting things to look at (from my perspective)

PAINTOVER:

paintover_lighting.jpg

Either way man, great work! Awesome environment!
  • TheRealFroman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's an awesome paint over o.o

lol now I have to go back and make this better once again or I'll hate myself forever...damn it! haha
  • TheRealFroman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aaagghhhhhhh hahaha.... This is really tough, but I'm starting to think maybe I should leave it the way it is... I absolutely love your paint over and I'll be sure to keep that lesson in mind for the future. However I also really love the "warmer" rendition of it, and I feel like moving on to future projects with this lighting notion in mind is something I should do. It's really hard, but I think I just need to "let it go" haha. Thank you so much Chrisradsby!