Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[Dota2] - Sniper - TBD

After looking at all possible characters, I finally decided to make a pack for the Sniper.

Here's what I have so far for the head item:
89IyH.png
Faevr.png

The idea to stick binoculars on his forehead just popped up and so I modelled this with references to victorian-age opera glasses and the everyday binocular models we all know.

As you can see, in my unorthodox ways, I didn't sketch it out first, but I'm more comfortable with just starting the model and seeing where that leads me. I now know that the tri count is easily reached with all the round shapes I've got going on, so I'm a little bit worried if I'll be able to squeeze out an attachment piece that will hold it in place on his head.

Other items in this pack will be the weapon and the shoulders. From there, I'll see how much time I can still put into this, to maybe make it into a full pack.

Sketching/thinking in progress...

Replies

• Erafic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Erafic polycounter lvl 10
    Looks really interesting! But I see your worry about making an attachment piece. Maybe hide it like a pair of tips going back and behind the ears like on a pair of glasses?

Also, are you planning to build in some assymetry? In texture or the mesh? Could be a bit fun if one of the glasses have a crosshair/reticle in it :)
  • jasonroels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I thought about the glasses approach as well, but I think I'll need something a bit stronger to keep it in place, since it's a heavy object. Maybe something like a leather band going over the top of his head.

flava-flav-glasses-2.jpg?w=217&h=300

Hehe :)

I'll see what I can do with the assymetry. If the tri budget isn't spent after the attachment piece, I'll do some extra sighting/calibration pieces. Other than that, expect some assymetry in the texturework, yes.

Great feedback, thank you.
  • Erafic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Erafic polycounter lvl 10
    Oh also, on another optimization note. I think you could salvage more from both the handle and the cylinder keeping the two pieces together. They're going to be ridiculously small in-game. Best way to gain some perspective is just to finish a simple .fbx mesh and simple textures to try it out in Dota, get a feel for how visible they'll actually be. I've sure spent too much time on details that just blur away in the end :poly125:

Edit: *Facepalm* I forgot that's what you already had done, but yeah, consider those two bits for further optimization
  • TMiuccio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with erafic. It looks like that model could be reduced by a lot considering how small it is.
  • jasonroels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm annoyed by the fact that I can't have the preview bigger and the in-game view zoomed in to its maximum.