Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[Dota2] – Phantom Lancer – Furious Fisherman

reserving this space!

Replies

• bn20
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Right so i have done some quick concepts, favourite so far is the first from left, currently deciding on making it fishbone based or wood based

TOlqc.png

Potential spear, will work on the weapon ideas last

ZoN7m.png
  • bn20
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a set of armour concepts, thoughts?

OvV1K.png
  • SinAmos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nothing stands out for me.
  • bn20
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SinAmos wrote: »
    Nothing stands out for me.

Please elaborate?
  • Erafic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Erafic polycounter lvl 10
    I'm inclined to agree a bit with SinAmos, but I'll elaborate. The armor sets are all interesting and shows different armors. What I don't see though is something "popping". The characters are heroes and it's reflected in their armor, the set modifies how we see them as a hero, their history and their personality. Right now all the armor sets just look like grunts in an army of his race. You wrote that the set name was Furious Fisherman, how would you emphasis that? Through battle trophies? Trinket details? Right now the armors are interchangeable.

Or TL;DR, I think you need to give him a stronger theme, make it really show on his person. :)

Edit: After going back to have a look at the phantom lancer I notice his standard armor doesn't say much either. But I keep my point, stronger theme or some lore to anchor it and it will be a nice set of armor =D
  • bn20
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Erafic wrote: »
    I'm inclined to agree a bit with SinAmos, but I'll elaborate. The armor sets are all interesting and shows different armors. What I don't see though is something "popping". The characters are heroes and it's reflected in their armor, the set modifies how we see them as a hero, their history and their personality. Right now all the armor sets just look like grunts in an army of his race. You wrote that the set name was Furious Fisherman, how would you emphasis that? Through battle trophies? Trinket details? Right now the armors are interchangeable.

Or TL;DR, I think you need to give him a stronger theme, make it really show on his person. :)

Edit: After going back to have a look at the phantom lancer I notice his standard armor doesn't say much either. But I keep my point, stronger theme or some lore to anchor it and it will be a nice set of armor =D

Ahh now I see! I absolutely agree with you then, it seems the problem is that I have focused on the armour and supportive aspects however I have not included something that stands out from the surroundings such as jewellery and just detail in my concepts in general. Thus making it look as if he is regular. On the other hand the whole original set for him looks pretty standard and only pops out with details such as pattens and loose ends. This could be to reflect that his whole ability too shift into multiple instances is not visible, what I mean by this is if you saw him without knowing anything about him what would you guess his ability's lie behind? He appears to be a regular soldier with a hidden talent since there is nothing special about his armour or weapon.

TLDR: I think the problem is my lack of detail in the concepts.
  • bn20
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    schoolworks got me bogged down, but heres some incomplete weapon teasers

Kxzve.png
  • bn20
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    axAOJ.jpg

Finally got some time! What do you think? I want to change the scale plate on the chest but I have no idea what to replace it with...
  • bn20
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    no comments? Im going to assume that's a good thing...
  • bn20
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uh oh ran into a problem...

bgz2l.png

Do you need to seperate the model and skin them seperatly? I also have no idea which combination of bones I should skin it too...

this is how i want it too look

5u2vi.png
  • agentfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OH now that I see more of your problem I see what you did, are you binding it to the whole skeleton? "use selected joints" in the option box of the smooth binding and select the joints you want it to attach to. You should keep the object as 1 both left and right arm geo.