Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Low poly primal hut dev

So I have been working on my hand painted texture skills,and atm i'm working on some environment models for a GGD that i'm working on.
So here is some references ive been using, ive made some slight changes to the door way of the hut/tent
hut3.jpg
hut2.jpg
hit1.jpg

Here is my progress so far.

HutDEv.jpg

Any advise would be grateful, I do believe its going well so far, i have to finish the rope loops up the bone struts yet and then i am going to start texturing.

Replies

• Benjam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Benjam polycounter lvl 4
    looks cool, soften the edges of the hut to make it look less blocky and maybe smooth the model and apply it as a normal map as well. Unless its a low poly feel you are going for then by all means keep it as it is.

The hole in the roof i would say to put more shape to it like in the ref images, it would make it look cooler than just a bog standard circular hole

Ill keep track of this i like the look of it :D
  • Darkendxelo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes i am keeping it fairly low poly, and hopefully when i paint the textures i can trick the eye into making you think its smoothed.

I did not realize i made the hole at the top so circular thank you for pointing that out, i am only using the references as vague guidelines, but i do agree it looks better in the ref's
  • Darkendxelo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So here is an update on the model, I changed the way the ropes were made around the bone struts, its higher poly than I wanted but i think it works better.

Today i begin the texturing so posts will follow.
    hutdev2.jpg
  • Darkendxelo
  • Darkendxelo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slow progress,as i have never drawn a leathery fabric before so i am just going with base colors at the mo and then adding details and Ao, tryign to make sure i get the lighting right through the texture.
    HutTexture-1.png
  • Darkendxelo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coming along, have only blocked in the rope colors atm, the bone struts need AO, as they don't yet blend into the fabrics.
    hutdev3.jpg
    HutTexture-2.png
  • Darkendxelo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well im half happy with the textures so far, i feel its still missing something, i haven't started the wood textures yet or the rope any crit would be welcome at this point please.
    hutdev4.jpg
    HutTexture-3.png
  • Darkendxelo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hutrender.jpg

Come across some problem's with this model.. And im actually happy i have as it will make me think about them in my new model's. the main one is the texture space, as there is not enough pixel space on each face of the uvw map to apply detail to the wood and rope sections.
  • wright.tom85
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Depending on how low poly you're trying to go, those ropes will kill you. If you absolutely have to have full geometric ropes, I wouldn't use more than 3 or 4 polygons to shape it. Ideally, you could do the rope with simple flat polygon strips. The ropes on the bone supports don't need to be detailed with geometry at all, you can use a normal map and some shading tricks to make them pop.
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    You would definitely have benefitted from using tiling textures for this project! There would be more material ID's, but better texture resolution I think - so now you know for next time.

As far as the painting goes, I think the hide can use a few improvements: Probably could push your value range, use some more darks. Add more surface detail on the hide itself, depending on what kind of hide it is. You could paint in shadows from the stitches. You could add more fun details such as tears. Other than that, it is nice, clean painting, and I like your color choice :]
  • Darkendxelo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know the ropes are killing me atm, but at this point our level designer hasnt chosen what angle of camera view the (settlement/village) is going to be seen at, just looked at your portfolio Jessica and i now see what you mean about tiling textures very efficient. i think it may be time to go back to the drawing board.
  • wright.tom85
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If your camera angle is undertain, then you can cover your bases by using two strips of flat polygons and layering them in a + shape. It still drastically reduces your poly count, but covers all your angles. Also, I'd remove the part of the rope that wraps around the entrance support beam. Just have the straight length of rope going right into the support beam, and then paint the rest of the rope straight onto the wood.