Home Technical Talk

Max 2013 UI file format.

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
GeeDave polycounter lvl 11
Seems like I can't get my UI files (which I store in a dropbox folder for convenience) to load into Max 2013... this is so insanely detrimental to my workflow that I figure someone must know something. Since I can't find anybody raging about it I hope that maybe there's a workaround I'm not aware of.

I did find an article on how to load up your old keyboard file which is all fine and dandy, but my UI is super tweaked and it will take me freakin' ages to manually get it back to 2012 and prior versions. Can't even load in colour schemes!?

I'm looking forward to a bunch of necessary scripts and plugins not working too (can't really blame Autodesk for that though I guess). Oh, side note... can anyone running 2013 confirm whether or not the XoliulShader works correctly? There's one thread I can find where the topic seems to be 'in question', but no answers that I can see.

Currently doing product updates... then I plan to rage quit and go home for the evening.

We were running 2012 (aside from performance issues, no problems), is this update even worth it? Thoughts on a postcard.

Edit
Oh, for clarities sake. The new format for the 2013 UI seems to add an "x" to the extension, so what was a .clr or a .mnu are now ".clrx" and ".mnux"

Replies

• spacefrog
    Offline / Send Message
    spacefrog polycounter lvl 15
    You can load each of the old formats in Max 2013, simply point the filedialog to the folder where your UI file sits and enter "*" in the filename textfield. This forces the dialog to display all files, regardless of it's extension. Pick the correct legacy file ( be it *.kbd, *.clr etc)

I strongly recommend NOT to import legacy menufiles ( *.mnu ) or toolbar definitions ( *.cui ). You'll remove new features and UI refinments that way. Or buttons/menu entries will hook to defunct or depricated code, or simply to nirvana, when doing this

The new file format is all XML, which for sure is better than the old unstructured mess. I do not say that those new XML files are of plain human readable nature, but at least they are structured the XML way ...

So i too would recommend starting over with Max 2013, except for the Keyboard shortcuts and the color definitions. All other files will cause PAIN sooner or later if you import them in Max 2013
  • GeeDave
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice, some good information there. I know what I'll be doing for most of tomorrow then.

As for being willing to update to a new version each year, no not really! We're just starting something new so it's the "ideal" time to get everyone running the same versions, the tech department don't care what we use though, this is purely an art decision and I'm not yet 100% behind it since the only other people on Max at my studio aren't as involved with it as I am, which is basically why I'm angry... y'know, cause of "change".

I imagine if I just used default setups, no scripts/plugins/shaders like our other users then I wouldn't have a problem, but these things are so engrained into my core 'workflow' that it bothers me when I can't easily switch them to a newer version.

First world problem I guess. Top of the list on my configurations for tomorrow is to get rid of that god awful gradient background. I don't mind the odd gradient here and there, but it just seems so pronounced in 2013.
  • monster
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    I just made the gradient top and bottom color the same as Viewport Background. You can disable it in the viewport options, but if another user had them on, they turn on when you open their file.
  • GeeDave
    Offline / Send Message
    monster wrote: »
    I just made the gradient top and bottom color the same as Viewport Background. You can disable it in the viewport options, but if another user had them on, they turn on when you open their file.

That is a very good tip there, cheers for that.

To go back for a second:
    I strongly recommend NOT to import legacy menufiles
    For 2013 I would recommend starting from scratch, but you should do that with each new version anyway, for the sake of compatibility

Can I get a little elaboration on that? My UI files that I tend to port are .clr, .kbd, .qop and .mnu. I was flabbergasted at not being able to load up my colour file (the .qop was fine actually), and while I can sort of understand straying away from loading up old .mnu files I'd like to know a little more on what can go wrong? Would I end up hiding new additions?
  • GeeDave
    Offline / Send Message
    That's an interesting solution, I'm pretty sure you're a wizard.

Cheers for all the info.
  • GeeDave
    Offline / Send Message
    Miniature update for anyone who may stumble across this thread:

It appears as though any changes made to the grid intensity will be ignored after exit. Literally just not included with anything else in the .clrx. This isn't some "log on as admin" issue, it just straight up refuses to play ball. I did a bit of searching and found this from CGSociety:
    Same happened to me, save your time and go to:

C: \user\"your name"\AppData\local\Autodesk\3dsMax\2013-64bit\ENU\en-US\UI

and open the file "Max 2013.clrx" (open with Notepad)

Scroll down to the end and you'll find this line:

</CustomColors>
    <GridInfo gridIntensity="45" whiteOrigin="0" useGridColor="0" />
    </ADSK_CLR>

Just Change the intensity and save it.

Restart max.

Absolutely ridonckulous, but it works.