Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio update

Replies

• Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    I like nr 6 best, not a huge fan of the camo pattern, awesome sculpts you got going here :)
  • mrBananas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90: Thanks :)

I've decided to take a different approach with the colors so here are the results. There's quite a bit of red in the shots, I've overdone the saturation in Marmoset without noticing in it.
    I'm gonna tweak the face and crotch a little bit on low poly, but I say she's 99% finished, so if you have any suggestions, please let me know.

babe01.jpg
  • Brandon.LaFrance
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Brandon.LaFrance polycount sponsor
    I like this color choice much better than your previous thumbnails. I'll be subscribing to this thread, those sculpting videos will be super helpful.
  • mr_ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    i feel like you're losing a lot of the form with the lighting set up. there's no real sense of a key light, giving form and shadow, with some fill lighting to bounce some light around it and a rim light to give you some highlights. it currently looks like it's lit by a big red tinted skylight, which doesn't do justice to the high poly
  • Pabs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pabs polycounter lvl 11
    you mind posting maps?
  • mrBananas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace: Are you talking about the last update or the previous one? The last one isn't high poly, it's a real time character, with shots taking from marmoset. But either way, you were right. I actually did have a rim light, I just didn't turn it on. Still, would've made it tons better. Thanks for all the crits you've been giving though :)

scapulator: I'll post those a bit later.

Anyways, here's the final thing. 22k tris or something like that with the gun, rendered in Marmoset, touch ups in PS.

I hate how the face turned out, and the thong looks a bit weird after the posing, but I'm not spending any more time on her. The project took me a lot longer than I had planned, I'm just starting to hate the whole thing. Gotta start something new.

babefinal05.jpg

babefinal06.jpg
  • harricool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crispy work...but yeah....her face looks too sweet for this character....hell i love those thongs...may be those netted hose might be unnecessary......hey but overall great piece
  • mr_ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    sorry, what i meant was the lighting wasn't doing justice to the high poly via the normal map, because the lighting was overall a bit flat which will hide the subtle detail of the normal map from your excellent high poly. new updates looking better, the pose from the back looks the coolest
  • mrBananas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    harricool: Thanks :) Yeah well, that's what happens when you work without a clear idea of what you want to make. The design is a bit all over the place...

mr_ace: Ah ok, gotcha. Yeah, the final shots are a bit better, but I've still got heaps to learn in terms of lightning and presentation. To tell you the truth though, this is the second time I'm doing texturing and a proper final shot, like ever. I'm strictly a modeler, so all of these things are fairly new to me. Still, my next two projects are going to be high poly, so I'll probably need to learn V-Ray or something to make a proper renders of those and if all is good, I might rerender this model as well.
  • Johan3043
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow you got some amazing work there man! Keep up the good work! :)
  • mrBananas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I'm gonna polish her up just a little bit tomorrow and just edit the previous post. So look out for that.

In the mean time, here's the finished Jim. I still need to close the holes in his suit and the backpack, but overall it's done. Just need to find some people know who know a thing or two about 3d printing and send this guy off!
    The final image is composed of ZBrush screenshots, I didn't use BPR render or any other fancy things, just a bunch of images with different matcaps and colors put together in Photoshop. So yeah, it's rough but it's a 2007-2008 model that I can finally put to rest and hopefully make a 3d print of.

jimfinal03.jpg

jimfinal.jpg
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
  • mrBananas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC: Right on!

Here's the new model I started last weekend. At this point, 95% of it is MAX, the only thing left of original dynamesh sclpt is the pelvis and spine. Will retopologize those tomorrow probably. After that it's just a matter of filling all the empty spaces with some crazy mechanical stuff.
    By the way, the concept is by Keith Thompson

mech01.jpg
  • Laughing_Bun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Laughing_Bun polycounter lvl 17
    this is looking awesome!
  • mrBananas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's some progress. Decided to stick with MAX and make all the additional small details once I'm in the texturing phase. We'll see how it turns out. Just need to unwrap this sucker now.

mech03.jpg
  • mrBananas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys!

It's been a while. Here's something I did as part of Kris Costa's workshop. I've been doing a lot of anatomy studies and practices along with the workshop assignments, but got distracted for a couple of weeks so as a result I won't be able to finish my project in time. But here's what I've managed to come up with. The modeling part is done. I could spend another day polishing him up, but I need to move on to the next stage.
    Hope you like this little bugger!

mcomplete.jpg

mcloseup.jpg
  • mrBananas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello!

Here's the finished model of the mushroom guy. It was challenging as hell but I've managed to bring to point where I can say " that will do" and move on to something new.

Render in Keyshot, texturing in Mari.

High res:
    http://s22.postimg.org/keqk4pj0f/Mushroom_Render_FINAL.jpg

Mushroom_Render_FINAL_Med.jpg
  • Kon Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kon Artist polycounter lvl 8
    very nice work!
  • mrBananas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks!

Here's the fished mech model. Design by Keith Thompson.

mech_01.jpg
  • Madio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Madio polycounter lvl 5
    Amazing models, thanks for videos!
  • Wingednosering
    Incredible stuff, very inspirational.
  • Pisciel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I Googled around for leather jacket sculpts for reference and ideas and came across your thread here. Your videos are very inspiring and help a lot with working out folds. Impressive work! Beautiful texture painting and your eye for detail is amazing. Keep up the good work! I'll definitely stalk for updates :)