Home Technical Talk

'Vertex' Tutorial - How would you do this unwrap?

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Monophobe polycounter lvl 11
I've been looking through Ryan Hawkins 'Vertex' and wanted to try the Jeans texturing method (shown on page 176 onwards) on a character I've got.

My question is, how would you go about getting an unwrap as clean as his, in order to then be able to use overlays when making the texture. I know I can relax with fixed boundary points, but there must be a fairly quick way to get the border set.

Ordinarily I wouldn't worry so much and would bake a polypaint, but I'd like to see what results I can get using this "hand painted" method.

(I'm using max and have TexTools installed.)

Thanks.

a8Kkv.jpg

Replies

• Hang10
    I'd pelt/relax then align the vertices to their respective axis. as for the crotch it's probably manually edited so there is nothing overlapping.
  • Monophobe
    Offline / Send Message
    Monophobe polycounter lvl 11
    Think I was just being a bit slow this morning. I planar mapped it in sections, aligned verts/stitched edges and then used the mirror function in TexTools for the first time. Other than a bit of clean up still to do it's come out looking alright.

Would be nice if you could select an edge/loop and relax the verts along it relative to their spacing on the mesh.

Anyhoo, job done. Ta :)

rzpRA.jpg
  • MrOneTwo
    Offline / Send Message
    MrOneTwo polycounter lvl 12
    I think you can relax inner verts. In the 'Vertex' example it looks less uniform near the crotch area. You have pretty big stretching there. I think you can do that with relax and 'don't work on borders verts' or something like that :D. Don't know if it will be the best way but there is room for improvement.
  • JacqueChoi
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    One thing I wished Max had, was locking the relax to horizontal or vertical.

Helps a lot when wrapping to right angles.