Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Good Morning Chloe

Replies

• duncan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    duncan polycounter lvl 11
    WOW thanks for the comments and feedback everyone.

@ Snader : haha it is funny you say that because at the begining she was going to be a female Marty McFly. Then I decided to break from that and go my own way. Still kept the vest and if you look the tag on her vest has a little throwback to the original idea.

@ dustinbrown : Thanks man :thumbup:. Yeah I plan on playing with the designs colours and patterns once I get this hair sorted out.

@ REKLAS : HUGE Thanks for the feedback and suggestions :thumbup: :D :thumbup: I see what you mean, though your example is a little too over the top for me I think I could have pushed the style a little further. Those were not really "REF" shots so much as "inspiration" It is a bit too late to make those BIG changes, but we will see what happens once I get her hair on I think that will fix a few issues. Texture issues like the eyes and eyebrows will be fixed when I am on the texturing stage, all textures and lighting were quick and shitty just to get her into marmoset. I might tweak the glasses a bit though. Thanks again :thumbup: keep the feedback coming.

P.S yeah Loish is AWESOME (http://loish.deviantart.com/)

Hair wip. Just busting in some shape. Going to do some smaller details and then add just a few hair planes. hahaha looks like soft serve ice cream.

hairwip01.jpg

Thanks again everyone.
  • duncan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Made some updates.

chloewip14.jpg
  • SveinY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SveinY polycounter lvl 6
  • GabrielP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GabrielP polycounter lvl 7
    looking fantastic man! I would prefer that she only has the tattoo sleeve down one arm.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    I really like the sculpted hair, but when I saw the hair was blonde/white I was actually thinking it would look better brown. Or is it just not colored yet?
    Also I think the tattoos are too dark and saturated to look real and that they should be larger and less detailed looking to read better. I also agree with Gabriel about giving her some A symmetry by just having one tattoo sleeve.
    Awesome work so far though, really fun watching this progress!
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea I am also sorta surprised by the white hair. I thought it was going to be dark.

Do the jeans have fabric texture or is that just diffuse?
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nizza_waaarg polycounter lvl 15
    radpants :) would be cool to see some hair variations tho, like dark hair, or red hair could look super awsome as has been mentioned.

and dang your hair turned out so much smoother than my hair always turns out ;_;
  • Scythe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scythe greentooth
    your work just brutalized me
  • dirigible
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dirigible polycounter lvl 8
    Sick tats, duncan! How did you do the ones on the arms? In photoshop, or were they 3d-painted?
  • duncan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone.

@ SveinY : hahahaha

@ GabrielP : Yeah I played with the tatts a bit. Decided to get rid of one but cant decide which side I prefer. I think either left or right :poly142:

@ BradMyers82 : Yeah, My first thoughts were brown to but then decided white now I think colour would be better esp to show off hi-lights and stuff. I will play with the tat detail wise, but I sort of like it at the moment so I can't guarantee it will change too much.

@ nyx702 : Thanks the jeans are mainly diffuse but there is like a 5% influence in the normal map.

@ Nizza_waaarg : Thanks man :). I will have to play with the hair a bit I think, but here is a quick colour test.

@ Scythe : hehe thanks

@ dirigible : Thanks, I did the tatts in photoshop by smooshing a couple of different refs together and then doing some of my own business on top.

Hair colour test. I think it is a bit too saturated but test, test, test.

chloewip15.jpg

Thanks again everyone.
  • osk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    osk polycounter lvl 4
    looks fantastic.
    Dont think the hair is too saturated. it pops out the character
    maybe add more saturation to shoes to balance it out
  • Aga22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aga22 polycounter lvl 11
    i dunno why but i expected her with red hair too... fantastic work man!
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    Wow, really nice! You really nailed the feel of the materials, and the up-scaled textures add miniature-like style which I like a lot.

Looking forward seeing them situations you where mentioning.
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    Looking greeeeaaaaaat. I agree that one sleeve is better (I'm currently working on a lady that will have a sleeve just on her right arm). My personal taste but I would like her hair to be a darker red just to hint at a bit of goth/rock to go with her tats and piercings.
  • MrNinjutsu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrNinjutsu greentooth
    Maaaan this is looking rad. The tattoos are badass. Would you consider using hair cards at all?
  • MeintevdS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeintevdS keyframe
    I think it's the freckles that causes people to expect red hair. I think the hair isn't to saturated, but I think it's a bit to light, maybe go with a slightly darker/deeper red?

One slight nitpick I have is the back of her head/hair, it feels a bit to flat at the moment. I took the liberty of defacing your art a bit. This is what I would expect. (as if the hair under her tail would be hanging a bit):

duncan_001.png

Anyway, loving your progress. Less stylized than your normal work, but nailing it anyway :D
  • Fozwroth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fozwroth polycounter lvl 9
    Fuck it, I quit *flips table* seriously though, fantastic work! those tattoos are really nice. think the character works really well overall :D
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    her face is so flat in the side view man...
  • Mithdia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mithdia polycounter lvl 8
    MeintevdS wrote: »
    I think it's the freckles that causes people to expect red hair. I think the hair isn't to saturated, but I think it's a bit to light, maybe go with a slightly darker/deeper red?

One slight nitpick I have is the back of her head/hair, it feels a bit to flat at the moment. I took the liberty of defacing your art a bit. This is what I would expect. (as if the hair under her tail would be hanging a bit):

duncan_001.png

Anyway, loving your progress. Less stylized than your normal work, but nailing it anyway :D

Hmm... I think the headshape is fine but the tail is tied too far back and seems like it's hanging in the air which gives the impression that the back of the head is flat.
  • MeintevdS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeintevdS keyframe
    Mithdia wrote: »
    Hmm... I think the headshape is fine but the tail is tied too far back and seems like it's hanging in the air which gives the impression that the back of the head is flat.

I think for me it's also the fact that you can almost draw a straight line from her chin to the base of her tail. And after reading almighty_gir's comment it might also have to do with the face being flat from the side view, giving the head a very triangular shape.
  • praetor187
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetor187 polycounter lvl 11
    This is such a great piece of work. Keep it up man!
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    almighty_gir: her face is so flat in the side view man...

I noticed that too, but I actually like the fact that its so flat. I think it gives it a more cartoon type style.

Probably the greatest challenge here is getting a nice balance of realistic and stylized, but I think its coming along really great so far.
  • Mithdia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mithdia polycounter lvl 8
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/87hiu44xplgg0ul/duncan_001.png
    This is what I meant. The flatness of the face could also be a factor though.

edit: img wasn't working for some reason :/
  • duncan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks peeps

@ MeintevdS & Mithdia : HUGE Thanks :) Totally agree with the shape of the back of her head. I made a change. I think it looks much better now Thanks :thumbup:

@ BradMyers82 : Thanks man :)

@ praetor187 : :)

@ almighty_gir : haha thanks. Bit too late to change that now but I agree. I probably IS a bit too flat. I will try to make sure I don't do it again :(. :)

@ Fozwroth : hehe thanks :D

@ MeintevdS : Thanks for the paint-over :thumbup: :D :thumbup: I tried to drag the tail down a bit. I might need to take it a bit further but I hope it helps. I also played with the hair texture a bit, I am happier with it now..... I think :) Yeah she is less stylised than I would normally go with other characters but I find it really hard to stylise chicks that much. I think it is a comfort thing, once I am more comfortable sculpting females I hope I will be able to start pushing the boundaries a bit more.
    Thanks again for the help

@ MrNinjuts : Thanks. Yeah I was thinking about hair planes but I am not 100% sure she needs them now. I might have to play a little later.

@ Fomori ta. Yeah I think I might go with one sleeve. I made the hair a touch darker to. I am keen to see how your lady turns out. Thanks

@ AimBiZ : Thanks :thumbup:

@ Aga22 : ta

@ osk : Thanks. good call on the shoes. I will have to play with them soon.

Played with the hair shape\colour.

I would like to hear peoples opinions about the alternate sleeve. I think I preferred the Japanese one, but I do think this tribal one reads a little nicer hmmmmmmm Un-decided.

A few other tweaks, nothing too big.

chloewip16.jpg

Thanks again everyone for the awesome feedback and kind words.
  • MrNinjutsu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrNinjutsu greentooth
    It's pretty cool man and it definitely reads better than the original. That being said I really like the first. Maybe it's the colour variation in the tat. Maybe you could involve some colour with this one?
  • whyareyoumakin1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whyareyoumakin1 polycounter lvl 7
    Effing Love it! Impressive sir!
  • Guedin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Guedin polycounter lvl 11
    Hey ! I love it Duncan ! Great style here
  • MeintevdS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeintevdS keyframe
    Yes my paintover was a bit much. Like the new edits, works really well.

Btw the comment about the less stylized wasn't a bad thing, I really love the style you're going with now.
  • mr_ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    looks great so far man, my only crit is with the lighting setup, the light shining on her back and on the side of the other shots is blowing her out a bit, and is there a slight green hue to the light or something? maybe it's just the background.

the tatoo looks really cool!
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    Looks awesome man. I like the Japanese tattoo better and the reds there were really going well with the red in the hair. I also noticed that the scale of the fabric pattern overlay you are using for her jeans is perhaps a little too big?
  • duncan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys.

Decided on the Japanese tatt, The tribal one read a bit better but I prefer this one and I think it matches her personality much more. made a few small changes to spec and stuff. Still need to work on the shoes teeth and a few other things, soften up the hairline and just improve the texture in general. I hope by Monday it will be ready for a rig, skin and pose...... maybe. Then again maybe I will take a bit of a break before that stage.

chloewip17.jpg

Thanks again guys :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
  • Argent
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been subbed for a while and really enjoying your work, thanks for sharing!

The Japanese tattoo feels so distracting to me. I like it more than the tribal but I can't shake the feeling its fighting for attention with Chloe herself. Maybe it's just me, though. Awesome and inspiring work regardless, of course.

She's already brimming with personality. Looking forward to seeing how you decide to pose her!
  • Fred2303
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fred2303 polycounter lvl 7
    Wow im in love with that character! Everything is great about it form the style to the execution.

about the tatoo style i agree a little bit with argent the that the japanese one is a little bit distractive because of all the details. i think a ''new school'' Style of tattoo would fit great on that character.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=new+school+tattoo&hl=en&rlz=1C1ASUM_en-GBCA494CA494&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=DKScUM7LEau20AH2vIHwDw&ved=0CEEQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=644
  • Hideouscreation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hideouscreation polycounter lvl 5
    I'd like to see the wires if you on't mind?
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nizza_waaarg polycounter lvl 15
    woo, dig where you landed with it ^^
    and defs prefer the japanese tatt over the tribal biz, but think somthin like Fred2303 posted could fit even better. Kindof a minor point tho i guess. Really lookin forward to where you go with the pose homie :)
  • Grimm_Wrecking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimm_Wrecking polycounter lvl 8
    Gotta agree with your choice on the Jap tat over the tribal tat. It's less distracting to me personally and vibes better with the character imo.
    Pretty sweet overall, as usual.
  • duncan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just got back from Darwin and decided to do a kind of "final" Chloe post for a while just till I get this sculpting bug out from under my skin.

Pretty much final textures.

Just waiting for me to get off my ass and rig, skin and pose her..... might take a while.....but I am almost 100% sure I will finish it.

good_morning_chloe_by_duncanfraser-d5lxe8x.jpg

good_morning_chloe_by_duncanfraser-d5lxegn.jpg

till there is more Thanks everyone.... now for some speedy sculpts.
  • PaulP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    Really nice work, congrats on finishing it! In her back render, the area between her bum and waist looks quite angular and a bit unnatural, but thats a minor crit on an otherwise good piece :)
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    nice work!

both model and texture looks great but i think the skin specular is too low right now. skin isnt reading like skin.

i am not a fan of the tinted lighting/post process. i think it makes it hard to judge your actual color palette in your texture.
  • MrNinjutsu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrNinjutsu greentooth
    Dude this dudette is looking rad. Great work man.
  • afisher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    afisher polycounter lvl 6
    Love it man! Really sweet texturing bro.
    I agree with what MM is saying about the lighting, but apart from that, looks ace dude!!
  • Scythe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scythe greentooth
    there there duncan, always raising the bar pretty fucking high. Congrats, your model looks rad, the pants texture is pretty awesome :)

Good job, sir !
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    she looks great dude, good job. I'd be careful of your AO pass on the inside leg, arms and hands. Could be visible when you pose her. And if Im really nitpicking the UVs could go tighter hehe. Shes looking great though dude :)