Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Fallout Tactics Power Armor

I decided to try out some hard surface sculpting in zbrush

So i found this concept:

compilationz.jpg

And decided to give it a shot using only zbrush. It's from the older fallout games, and i am gonna try and reproduce it using zbrush. Never played these older fallout games, but i liked the design and it has some interesting details.. i am however adding my own touches design and trying to give it a more contemporary feel.

Here were the 3 stages i went through:

evolutiond.jpg

Right now i am going through the process off concepting the details and giving the armor a more interesting look. So far i got the upper and lower torso detailed in:

falloutdetail1.jpg

Still might go through some changes but the rest of the arms, legs, head, hands, shoulder and pelvis will follow this design.

Replies

• M1KES
    A little progress with the head and waist area... Changed the material for a more metalic one. So far so good! Any comments and critiques are welcome!

detail2.jpg
  • M1KES
    Did a lillte more work... got the legs done!

legswb.jpg

I am gonna probably change the waist area as it does not look like he could bring his knees up... right now the piece looks like shorts.. gonna have to make it into an underwear shape so that he has more mobility.

Any comments and critiques are welcome!
  • JasonDC
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonDC null
    Wow! The detail work in the armor is amazing! Nice work :)

My only critique would be that the arms appear a little short. The forearm length looks fine, but the bicep section may need to be modified.

Fantastic job! I can't wait to see more :)
  • LRoy
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 13
    Man I never realized how short they were. Detail is nice, but I think you could help it feel more intimidating by playing with the proportions a little.

As it is now he's only 5-6 heads tall. On the right is a little scaling in photoshop.

2m4an90.jpg

http://www.idrawdigital.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/prop_var.gif
  • Blaisoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    ^ yeah, this. concept art and model proportions were pretty poor in Tactics so i wouldn't pay to much attention to them.

other than that you made the armor feel like super high tech cyberpunk stuff. it doesn't have that heavy duty vibe anymore.
  • M1KES
    JasonDC wrote: »
    Wow! The detail work in the armor is amazing! Nice work :)

My only critique would be that the arms appear a little short. The forearm length looks fine, but the bicep section may need to be modified.

Fantastic job! I can't wait to see more :)

Yeah I also thought the arms had something wrong.. but i will fix it when i detail the arms. Thnaks for the comment! :)

LRoy wrote: »
    Man I never realized how short they were. Detail is nice, but I think you could help it feel more intimidating by playing with the proportions a little.

As it is now he's only 5-6 heads tall. On the right is a little scaling in photoshop.

Thanks so much for the paintover and tips. I could see there was a problem with the proportions but never really fixed it.. I tried and put superaverage man underneath and tried to fix it a little.. here was a quick fix on zbrush:

proportionshelp.jpg

I still get 6 and a half heads on perspective..and 7 full heads on isometric view.. (which view should i measure it on?).. I dont think i can put 8 heads cause the helmet is much larger than the actual head.. Do you think it looks fine like this?

Blaisoid wrote: »
    ^ yeah, this. concept art and model proportions were pretty poor in Tactics so i wouldn't pay to much attention to them.

other than that you made the armor feel like super high tech cyberpunk stuff. it doesn't have that heavy duty vibe anymore.

There were alot of weird choices on the armor.. the concept and final armor were very different visually. I know i am loosing the fallout feel, but i decided to add alot of detail and get the high tech to practice with the hard surface on zbrush. But i like the design so far, but i do agree it does not feel as it belongs in the fallout universe.
  • danpaz3d
    Offline / Send Message
    danpaz3d polycounter lvl 7
    Looking great! I remember playing this back in the day.
    For measurements I always go on isometric/orthographic. Perspective just skews it a bit.
    but i do agree it does not feel as it belongs in the fallout universe.
    I think it could work. Just colour it right and add a heap of damage to it!
  • M1KES
    danpaz3d wrote: »
    Looking great! I remember playing this back in the day.
    For measurements I always go on isometric/orthographic. Perspective just skews it a bit.

I think it could work. Just colour it right and add a heap of damage to it!

Thanks! I wasnt sure which to measure with. Well hopefully it could fit, and i do have the intention of adding lots of scratches and wear and tear on the polypaint!

Here is the old proportions on the right.. and the quick fix with the superaverageman inside on the left:

compare2g.jpg

Hopefully the proportions make more sense now..
  • nick2730
    not everyone is tall ... im 5'9 guy looks my height lol
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Nice work, the hands/fingers should reach midway to the middle of the thighs.
    Link
  • M1KES
    Ok.. here is one where i tried and keep everything proportional... please tell me if anything looks strange or wront on his proportions

left is the new version.. right is the old one

proportionshelp2.jpg

Thanks to all the tips!
  • mystichobo
    Offline / Send Message
    mystichobo polycounter lvl 12
    Hmmm Looks good, but I'm still not feeling the proportions. Maybe the helmet and possibly the arms are too big?
  • stickadtroja
    Offline / Send Message
    stickadtroja polycounter lvl 11
    agree about the proportions, right now it looks like a suit made for children :) If you look at that picture where you put a guy inside, you will notice that he can't look trough the eyes of the helmet, since its to wide/big. The arms is also too thick. That guy has a huge space around hes biceps and forearms, yet the armor around his thighs is super tight. If you make the armor follow the siluette of a mans body you will get a more slender slender, taller look wihout any scaling.

other wise its looks cool!
  • M1KES
    Ok, i did a little changes in photoshop.. and tried to shrink the head and make the arms less thick..

proportionshelp3.jpg

I really prefer the bigger head on... and thicker arms.. the smaller head seems too small..

What do you guys think? Any help would be apreciated!
  • M1KES
    Ok did a bunch of changes on the arms and chest area... and tried to align the eyes with the helmet... on the right i have the eyes aligned to the model.. on the left i have it the same size as previously:

helmety.jpg

So which is better left or right?
  • M1KES
  • M1KES
    So.. turns out the arm proportions were very off.. i played around with it.. and i think i am finally happy with the overall proportions:

posee.jpg

What you guys think? I think i achieved that more intimidating look then the small child in a suit look i had before.

Dont mind the pose... it was just some quick rotations to test the overall look of the character
  • SouthpawSid
    Offline / Send Message
    SouthpawSid polycounter lvl 7
    Looks good! Go go go!
  • danpaz3d
    Offline / Send Message
    danpaz3d polycounter lvl 7
    Yup, proportions are right. Looks great with the addition of kickass shoulder armour!
  • M1KES
    Ok, so i finished work on the arms and shoulder armor..

stage4.jpg

what you guys think?
    I think i am just about done with this stage of the model… now onto polishing him out! It'll start looking much better!

Any comments and critiques are welcome!
  • Amadreaus
    The head still looks a tad on the large side. Seriously cool thread anyway!
  • M1KES
    Sorry i took so long for an update... been busy traveling...

Anyway...Final version of the upper armor... also put the old version for comparasion... the old one looks like crap to me now lol..

That smooth look on the pieces really help alot!

upperarmor.jpg
  • m1neh
    THAT. is truly awesome.

Very clean + detailed!!
  • toolpaddz
    Offline / Send Message
    toolpaddz polycounter lvl 10
    legs are still too short. And I would add a little stuff to the hip/waist area because now it lacks volume compared to the rest, e.g. the chest.
    I did a quick paintover for you regarding the proportions - notice I only stretched the lower body half, didn't touch the upper at all. And that's how you should do it as well ;)
    You could even make the legs a tad longer than I did here. Perhaps that would look even better.

0f2zj2ia.jpg

Oh and before I forget: the upper body half is great, but the lower one really vanishes in comparison. I don't know if you have already finished detailing it, but you might want to go over everything from the hip downwards once again.
  • Slaught
    Offline / Send Message
    Slaught polycounter lvl 18
    Impressive improvement, good work man! :)
  • roosterMAP
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 14
    His head is too big and it doesn't look like he has much of an ass. Just a waist...

also, he kinda looks like an action figure, but I think that because the silhouette if his legs are too rigid and tube-like.

Take a look at the images bellow.
    Look at how easy it is to identify the knees, calves and quads of master chief. See how thin his lower shins are before they lead to his large armored feet... try to replicate this silhouette into your model, and I'm sure it will read much better.
    6587694_std.jpg
    silhouette___halo_by_dugfinn-d4rvzux.jpg
  • M1KES
    Thanks for all the replies everyone! And thank you for the suggestions.. some really helpful stuff..

I tried and do change some stuff with with a paintover, would this look better: help34.jpg

(it has the final chest piece already)
    or is something else not looking right?
    About the lower body not looking as detailed, i think that will be solved as soon as i redo it for the final version... this guy is gonna be detailed everywhere! :)

I also had changed his waist piece in the front because the previous design would not allow him to bend his legs forward... so he had to go with that speedo kinda bottom.

Thnak you again for all the help everyone.. keep the comments, critiques and suggestions coming! :)
  • dirigible
    Offline / Send Message
    dirigible polycounter lvl 8
    Looking good, man. I just one comment on your high poly chest piece - the new version is extremely clean and detailed BUT not all of that detail will be visible. In an actual game I think some of your fine lines would disappear or otherwise get wrecked by compression. Another tip is - make your edges softer than you think they should be. It will make them look a lot better while baking, and in-game. Sharp edges ingame look aliased. Soft edges ingame read more as actual edges. I guess last thing is, try to avoid 90 degree (and sharper) angles. Such angles can be hard to bake down, and don't usually look as pleasing as wider angles, or curves.
  • M1KES
    Thanks dirigiblE for the tips! I did try and smooth out most edges in zbrush cause i know nothing is really 90º angles.. but there might of been a couple of pieces that i forgot... gotta sort that out.

About translating it to low poly for games.. right now i am not thinking much about that. My current aim is to make a hard surface sculpt in zbrush as i only done organics untill now. But I would love to put this character walking around and shooting a gun in game, and will probably try it in the future if I have time. But while i was making it, i did think that some details was too small for a game character.

One question out of curiosity... Is it very different from baking a organic model from a hard surface one? Never done hard surface before, but heard you would bake the normals differently.

Also, please keep opinions coming on the proportions from that image i posted.
  • dirigible
    Offline / Send Message
    dirigible polycounter lvl 8
    M1KES wrote: »
    One question out of curiosity... Is it very different from baking a organic model from a hard surface one? Never done hard surface before, but heard you would bake the normals differently.

It can be, yes. There's a lot of little inaccuracies you can get away with when baking organic stuff, that will stick out and look bad when you bake hard surface stuff. It honestly depends on a lot of factors, but the main things (in my opinion) are
    1. The angle of projection - if your low poly or projection mesh (cage) is built wrong, details can come out looking skewed in the normal map.
    2. Reducing 'star shaped' shadowy artifacts on your bake - these can occur for a variety of reasons, but they are less noticeable on organic models, whose surface is usually uneven. On smooth, geometric, hard surface models - especially shiny models - these artifacts can be super noticeable.
  • M1KES
    dirigible wrote: »
    It can be, yes. There's a lot of little inaccuracies you can get away with when baking organic stuff, that will stick out and look bad when you bake hard surface stuff. It honestly depends on a lot of factors, but the main things (in my opinion) are
    1. The angle of projection - if your low poly or projection mesh (cage) is built wrong, details can come out looking skewed in the normal map.
    2. Reducing 'star shaped' shadowy artifacts on your bake - these can occur for a variety of reasons, but they are less noticeable on organic models, whose surface is usually uneven. On smooth, geometric, hard surface models - especially shiny models - these artifacts can be super noticeable.

Thanks for the useful info dirigible! Also don't you have to harden the edges of the low poly model or create smoothing groups? Like i said, i never really looked into it..

Anyway.. Decimated the model and brought it into 3ds max for a sharper cleaner render to see the details more clearly

torsomax.jpg
  • KennyTies
    Wow that chest piece is awesome. Keep up the awesome work.
  • M1KES
    Thank you KennyTies! Glad you like it! :)

Played around with the proportions a little more and tried to match more or less this model:

Halowars___Spartan_light_test_by_Baldasseroni.jpg

Here is the result:

reproportion.jpg

Is it better? Worse? He does look tougher I think.. but does the model still have that action figure look?
  • Pioldes
    Offline / Send Message
    Pioldes polycounter lvl 5
    Very, very impressive ;)

The proportions have come a long way and it really looks badass overall, loving the details.

I really should practice my own zbrush hard-surface skills, I rely too much on 3ds Max most of the time x) (which isn't necessarily bad, but being able to do what you do is certainly very useful).

That being said, does your last picture have perspective on? It would help judge the overall shape better.
  • M1KES
    Pioldes wrote: »
    Very, very impressive ;)

The proportions have come a long way and it really looks badass overall, loving the details.

I really should practice my own zbrush hard-surface skills, I rely too much on 3ds Max most of the time x) (which isn't necessarily bad, but being able to do what you do is certainly very useful).

That being said, does your last picture have perspective on? It would help judge the overall shape better.

The perspective was turned onn... but my perspective in zbrush is distorted in zbrush.. something cause of the scale, so it barely changes from orthographic view. So i decimated it and exported it to 3ds max where i got correct perspective:

reproportion2.jpg

About hard surface in zbrush.. it has its own strengths and weaknesses.. in 3ds max you can make things more precise.. and in zbrush you can get some complex shapes very quickly. Although i think the best combination for this type of stuff is zbrush + 3ds max using goZ... some parts its just more useful in zbrush and some its better in 3ds max.
    I am making this model zbrush only for practice purposes only... there were a few times i really was tempted to use max.

Thanks for the comment! :)
  • M1KES
    Now just a quick question.. which is better, left or right?
    There are very minor changes so if you can't spot them.. they are..
    -Changed the size of the hands
    -Changed the size of the chest piece
    -Changed the shape of the lower leg piece

(the shoulders are also different.. but that one its definitely gonna stay as it is on the right)

leftorright.jpg
  • LRoy
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 13
    looks much better. the chest piece is the star of the show here. rest is looking a bit mushy. the rest of the armor is going to get the same treatment?
  • M1KES
    LRoy wrote: »
    looks much better. the chest piece is the star of the show here. rest is looking a bit mushy. the rest of the armor is going to get the same treatment?

Yes the entire armor will get the same high detail polish. The previous version was just the concept mesh so i could get an idea on how the overall form is going to be. The chest piece was also mushy. I just want to get the proportions right before moving on to the final piece cause it could be a pain to fix them later.
  • ratone
    Is it still possible to increase the size of the eyes? Fallout Armors were usually pretty much insectoid and the eyes are a little bit too small for my tastes.

Other than that, fantastic model bro :)
  • M1KES
    ratone wrote: »
    Is it still possible to increase the size of the eyes? Fallout Armors were usually pretty much insectoid and the eyes are a little bit too small for my tastes.

Other than that, fantastic model bro :)

I tried to modify the eye size in photoshop... eyespb.jpg

He looks less threatning with it like this.. i dont know, i looks to be more ergonomical but less cool in design i think. What you guys think?
  • neilberard
    Offline / Send Message
    neilberard polycounter lvl 18
    Details look great, but the proportions are still killing this guy. :/
  • Zen_Watchdog
    Offline / Send Message
    Zen_Watchdog polycounter lvl 4
    I love cyberpunk models! It look better with the adjustment of proportions.I like specially the chest armor.

Greatings!
  • M1KES
    neilberard wrote: »
    Details look great, but the proportions are still killing this guy. :/

Well i do see some evolution of the proportions... but there is something that always looks off to me and its driving me crazy cause i cannot put my finger on it..

The model is 8 and a half heads high which is fine following this guideline:

headsl.jpg
  • M1KES
    Ok so I got some feedback on another forum about the proportions (here i am again with the proportions)

reproportion3.jpg

They advised me on making the feet smaller, and to not make deep cuts in the transition from the arm and hand (which made it look like a toy) Also was advised to not make the armor so buldgy on the lower legs and front arms, and have it follow more closely the human structure. And lastly, another observation was to make his legs go a little higher up the hips to make him seem taller.

What you guys think? Is it an improvement?
  • M1KES
    New update.. i have finally completed the helmet! Here it is:

helmeth.jpg

And here you may see the evolution from the concept mesh:
    helmetcompare.jpg

Again, the concept mesh looks so blobby to me after comparing...
    Any comments and critiques are welcome. :)
  • M1KES
    Got another update... this time with the waist area..

upperbodycompare.jpg

Top is the concept and bottom is the final version.. i added the other parts cause it was hard to tell much about the parts with them alone...

As you can see I made some big changes in the design with the stomach area cause i felt that the concept did not allow the model to bend forward.. the new design would let each of those horizontal pieces slide over one and other when he bends any way.

Any comments and critiques are welcome! :)
  • sipher3325
  • M1KES
    sipher3325 wrote: »
    Awesome detail.

Thanks for the comment! :)

Added some changes to the undersuit... giving it a hexagonal pattern. Here is a full body view with the arms, hands, legs, feet and shoulder armor still in concept mesh stage.

fullbody2.jpg
  • RaPtoR_v9600
    Offline / Send Message
    RaPtoR_v9600 polycounter lvl 4
    seen it on eat3d forums great project, thumbs up mate
  • tac0m
    Offline / Send Message
    tac0m polycounter lvl 6
    was this all done in zbrush or did you do some of it in a modelling package like max or maya?