Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Armed-Developers : FPS Team's Showcase Thread

Hello there Poly count. My name is loftail, and I am the lead texture artist at Armed Developers FPS Team. We are a team focused on making the ideal next gen multiplayer FPS game in Unity 3d. I am familiar with this forum on being my favorite recourse on finding critics and advice and general comments for our work. So, I have decided to set up a general thread and post shots of our work here. I hope you guys are able to help us out in the critics thanks.

Work 1: Oakley Pilot Gloves And Sleeves

Tan Oakley Gloves:

1112k.png

1113tl.png

1114j.png

Dark Oakley Gloves:

up1h.png

up2k.png

up3.png

up4j.png

Sleeves:

1115p.png

1116z.png

1117n.png

We have a bunch of other models and stuff we have, but I will post them tomorrow for you guys to see and criticize (time is of the essence as they say, and I get busy)

Replies

• Armed-Developers
    Zbrush sculpts of arms:

armrender4.png

armrender5.png

armrender1.png

Ok, as an exercise, I attempted 2 tileable, seamless tiles. This was the result:

tilestraightdiffuse.jpg

tileturndiffuse.jpg

Also, this is the current soldier model, only legs done. Probably gonna remake it altogether:

52218381.png

32478302.png

We have also made a M37 Ithca which I textured, my team mate Grim1690 made it, based of the ever famous tutorials by Millenia:

Normal:

render1xm.png

render2f.png

render3x.png

render6j.png

Zombified:

render1z.png

render2o.png

render5t.png

render6k.png

render7y.png

Sooo, any crits. I have full room for improvement, I am only 14 you know, so I think that the best time to get in track is to do it now. Also, any one who wants to join out team, contact us by pm. But for now, I hope for crits and improvement. Anyone?
  • RobeOmega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    Be careful of you seams
    1115p.png
  • Armed-Developers
    Yh I noticed that as well. Stupid of me, I realized it in marmoset after I had done everything, and I never had the heart to redo the UV as it means rebaking and retexturing all 3 sleeves -.- Thanks for pointing it out though, it is appreciated.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    To be honest, you should expect a bit of perfection out of yourself. There's nothing wrong with letting the little stuff slide when you're under deadline, but a seam like that is a pretty big thing. It was the only thing I could see when I was looking at the image. Retopo and rebake isn't all that hard, and there's pretty much no point in keeping a model with a flaw like that.

Just my .02 cents, hope I didn't offend you -- obviously our opinions may differ.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Those fingers do look kind of long to me?

Also, if you have the clear goal of using Unity, I'd definitely recommend previewing your models in that engine - might save you a lot of time re-tweaking diffuse and spec textures that look different in marmoset ;)
  • Ashaman73
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashaman73 polycounter lvl 6
    Hey, good start.

But the others have some points, which you should address if this
    ideal next gen multiplayer FPS game
    is your goal.

The material transition on the gloves could need some more love, they seem to be quite harsh. The hand model seems to be somewhat off, it feels wrong. And eventually the general anatomy, even if your leg-preview is not ready yet, is somewhat weird, you will find some great resources on basic anatomy in the polycount wiki.
    and I never had the heart to redo the UV as it means rebaking and retexturing all 3 sleeves -.-
    This could be an indication, that you have finished each step too early. Take more time in finishing your model first, before jumping into UV and texturing, else you need to go back often and readjust it all the time. The same could happen later, when rigging and animating it.

Take your time to polish each step and create some quick previews of later stages.
  • Armed-Developers
    Thanks for all the critisims guys I appreciate it. After reading your comments, I realise I have had the wrong mind set. I am determined to change this, so rather than rebake I am going to sculpt the entire hand and arm model again and give it all the needed love.

@ysalex- No offence taken, I welcome it all.

@cptSwing - good unity advice thanks. Also, any reference or something of some sort on how to adjust fingers to make it looks natural?

@Ashaman73- 1) Texture advice taken into account. I will try to make them compliment one another in my next try. 2)I will take anatomy into result in terms of proportion, length ext. 3) Yh, I was too enthusiastic. Now I will take my time and give each one is respected love.

Thanks guys for the help, I am sure it will help me out loads in my future models, I appreciate it.