Home Technical Talk

Making texturing easyer.

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Rockley Bonner polycounter lvl 12
Ive never painted on 3d before. Guessing where forms are when painting on the uvs seems to be hit and miss, not to menstion time consuming (painting saving and then checking the results in a renderer.) are there any tricks u guys use? Getting a 2048 2048 jpeg of the flat uv mesh would be helpfull, is there a way to do this in max?

Any help would be apreciated!

Replies

• Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Render UV template from the UV editor.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    I often assign Mat IDs to different areas, so I can render out a map with all the polygons in their own unique color. For example, marking all metal with ID 1, all plastic ID 2 etc, makes it easier when you have that as guide.
  • JamesWild
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesWild polycounter lvl 8
    Baking a map like AO or world space normals might make the 3d shape easier to see.
  • Chase
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    I second McGreed. When you're trying to select things in Photoshop, it's a lot easier when you have a Color Map baked out so you can just Magic Wand selections
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    McGreed wrote: »
    I often assign Mat IDs to different areas, so I can render out a map with all the polygons in their own unique color. For example, marking all metal with ID 1, all plastic ID 2 etc, makes it easier when you have that as guide.

This is the easiest method. For sure.

Personally I use Renderhjs' Textools (which essentially does the same thing) but allows me to quickly back out color maps based on Meshes or Mat ID's. Sometimes baking out separate mesh colors are nice to identify group locations of objects.

Ultimately though, it comes to down to simply being organized, to make life easier for texturing.

texTools_4.10_splash.jpg
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    What you can also do to get UV Islands, is assign the pieces the RGB colors of 255,0,0 another area 0,255,0 and the third as 0,0,255. That way you'll get an RGB map with exact mask in each of the RGB channels.