Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP Model M&P15 Sport Rifle (AR15)

My goal here is to build this rifle in its entirety. I'm building every piece within a minimum accuracy of 1/100th of an inch, which may sound absurd but when everything needs to fit perfectly, minor mistakes are very large. The visual goal here is to have a 100% accurate hi-res model of a complete rifle assembly which I can eventually bake down to a game res model to begin building a game portfolio, while the personal goal is to build some hard surface pieces that I would not normally come across in most scenarios. I am not leaving Any grooves, nicks, screw threading, or any notable (and specifically, intentional) plane changes out of the modeling. Things that would just be silly to model like caliber readings on the barrel will be disp maps because I have to draw the line somewhere.

My project can also be followed at both the following links:

http://eat3d.com/forum/work-progress/model-mp15-sport-rifle

http://forums.luxology.com/topic.aspx?f=9&t=69174

I've already learned a great deal and improved upon many of my hard surface techniques. I'm very excited to see the knowledge I acquire in the game res and texturing areas later on.

Progress to this is very slow going as it is a side project that I pick up when I have the availability. Please forgive the random downtimes.

To help improve my skills here I set myself a few rules to follow just for this project. The first is that this weapon system is modeled within a minimum of 1/100th of an inch of accuracy, but for the most part 1/1000th. The second rule is that I will not fake any geometry by having two floating/intersecting meshes give the illusion of a single mesh; that is to say, one piece in the physical world will be represented by one mesh in 3D. The last rule is that the HP model will be made with all quads, and whenever possible, evenly spaced.

Any and all comments and crits are very much welcome, especially when I get to the game res areas as I am someone unfamiliar with that territory.

tr_02.jpg3tr_03.jpg
tr_24.jpg
tr_25.jpg
tr_26.jpg
sc0001.jpg
sc0009.jpg
sc0011.jpg
sc00013.jpg
tr_0037.jpg
tr_0040_0.jpg
tr_0048_0.jpg
tr_0050_0.jpg
tr_0054_0.jpg
tr_0064.jpg

Replies

• austie702
  • austie702
  • austie702
  • Hang10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn nice detail. The high poly looks great but if you're going for a game rez asset why so much effort into every single part? You won't be able to take all the details you're modeling and translate it to a next gen weapon. As cool as it is all this effort is too much if your plan is to make a game asset.
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
  • Havoc89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Havoc89 polycounter lvl 11
    That is awesome!
  • austie702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hang10 wrote: »
    Damn nice detail. The high poly looks great but if you're going for a game rez asset why so much effort into every single part? You won't be able to take all the details you're modeling and translate it to a next gen weapon. As cool as it is all this effort is too much if your plan is to make a game asset.

Thanks Hang10,

The reason I originally began this project was simply to improve my HiPoly hard surface skills, and I needed more complex geometry to practice with. A gun was the logical choice to me because it is easy to study in person and there is plentiful online reference. So, you are correct, most of these details will not be seen, ever (although I considered doing a simpler breakdown akin to what the most recent Ghost Recon title did with the weapon custimization. Perhaps it could be a cool "hey, look how good gunsmith could be on the next console!" sort of a thing.

So, that explains that. heh. It was actually my friend Amadreaus (his alias on this site) who convinced me to do a game res model later. There will also be film quality firing cycle animations with cutaway views and full exploded view assembly animations (but to not bore the game-res-centric website here, I'll just be posting those on the eat3d and luxology forums).
  • austie702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Havoc89 wrote: »
    That is awesome!

Hey, thanks very much Havoc! I appreciate that. :) It's been a really fun and challenging project. Can't wait to have it behind me tho!
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
    Nice detail all over and those cut away renders are pretty cool. If this is going to be a game asset though alllll those edges are way too tight, they'd bake down into nothing. Go over and loosen up your support edges. Check out Millenia's gun thread and look at how soft his edges are and how awesome the bakes turn out as a result of the exaggerated edge softness.
  • SPYFF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SPYFF polycounter lvl 10
    Dat geo! Always in MODO :)
  • Drew++
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drew++ polycounter lvl 14
    Nice modeling... Still not sure if you're going to bake this onto a low poly mesh, but either way a lot of the edges could be wider/softer.

Also your rear backup sight is on backwards...
    (LMT L8A Tactical Rear Sight)
    kKMUI.jpg
  • Pedro Amorim
  • ausernottaken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As others have said, your model is great, but not good for baking. You won't even be able to tell it's been baked from a high poly.

66q0O.jpg
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    The fact that you're modeling literally every single piece of the weapons mechanical parts, gives you a fantastic understanding of the weapons functionality and look, but for game production purposes, is an incredible waste of time. Still, all of the breakdowns you have are great, very nice modeling.
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    In general, you're looking at the model way too close. Sure, you want to learn some more advanced high res modeling techniques I know. As a rule for game models, don't bother viewing the asset any closer that you ever will in-game.
  • austie702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    to all:

Wow, thanks very much everyone. This is all very helpful. This will be my first detailed piece that will be baked down into a game res model, so as I have limited understanding of this process, this has all been very eye-opening. I appreciate everyone's feedback!

Hopefully the majority of the edge loops will be easy enough to loosen up without any major reworking, but overall this seems like a simple enough fix, and I'm glad I got this advice now rather than later.
  • austie702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaburan wrote: »
    The fact that you're modeling literally every single piece of the weapons mechanical parts, gives you a fantastic understanding of the weapons functionality and look, but for game production purposes, is an incredible waste of time. Still, all of the breakdowns you have are great, very nice modeling.

Thanks kaburan! Yes, I agree, of course in a production pipeline, this would be an incredible waste of time. But, for the purpose of the project (simply to improve modeling skills and techniques), I have already seen many great improvements in my modeling since I began, so it's been a good ride. Really appreciate the feedback! :)
  • austie702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As others have said, your model is great, but not good for baking. You won't even be able to tell it's been baked from a high poly.

Thanks very much for this! I found this visual you added the most helpful. Much appreciated :)
  • austie702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drew++ wrote: »
    Also your rear backup sight is on backwards...
    (LMT L8A Tactical Rear Sight)

Haha! I can't believe that, that's funny to me that I have so many pieces lined up perfectly and am paying such close attention to detail, and yet I'll still just flip an entire piece around carelessly. heh. Thanks for showing me this.
  • austie702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Check out Millenia's gun thread and look at how soft his edges are and how awesome the bakes turn out as a result of the exaggerated edge softness.

Thanks for pointing me to this thread, this was a really impressive example! Once I get to it I'll start loosening edges and trying various bakes until I can get that right look. Good call.
  • tsabszy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tsabszy greentooth
    sweet zombie jesus!
  • osk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    osk polycounter lvl 4
    looks like you are ready to print it out all the parts and bolts are there :)
  • austie702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tsabszy wrote: »
    sweet zombie jesus!

hahaha! Awesome quote. Thank you.
  • austie702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    osk wrote: »
    looks like you are ready to print it out all the parts and bolts are there :)

hah, indeed, indeed. I wish I had a 3D printer so bad! ;)
  • nathanbarrett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nathanbarrett polycounter lvl 6
  • austie702
  • austie702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry to post such a small change, but in the grand scheme of this project (and all projects following) I have made a significant change. The difference here to look for is the method I used for creating threading on screws as well as the inverse of the threads; I now use a proper thread model by using only one ridge that rotates around the screw body. You'll see with the side by side (ignore the severe difference in angle of the threads. This was only to show the difference between the spiral count) that one the right I am using 10 or so different ridges to create the illusion of real threading. Now that I've finally found the topology I prefer I have begun going back over all the threading on any pieces in my model and redoing them entirely. Hopefully the images will be explain what I fail to in words.
    Note: I also included an image with a cutaway view to show just how precise both the screw and the inverse itself are. They are perfectly matched with this new method.

sc00018.jpgtr_0160.jpgtr_0160.jpgtr_0162.jpg
  • austie702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It almost looks like a gun now..

The receiver continues to be very rude, but I'm slowly chipping away at it. The accuracy and all quads and no faked geometry rule is very tempting (not enough tho) to break on this piece, because the topology is quite frustrating. Anyway, as you can see, it's somewhere near the 40-45% mark. What IS done tho is the magazine box, the mag-floor plate, and soon the mag-spring.

tr_0163.jpgtr_0164.jpgtr_0165.jpgtr_0166.jpgtr_0167.jpgtr_0168.jpg
  • BobtheGreatII
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BobtheGreatII polygon
    Wow. Just wow. Like the others have said, not very good for a game, but if there's no goal to put it in game, that's not an issue. And the amazing attention to detail is incredible. Great job and keep it up.
  • austie702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow. Just wow. Like the others have said, not very good for a game, but if there's no goal to put it in game, that's not an issue. And the amazing attention to detail is incredible. Great job and keep it up.

Thanks so much, Sir Great! :) Well, I Woouuld like to put it in a game one day (only the surface pieces, of course) but I learned here that I'll need to rework the model a lot before that's possible. So, after I've finished the film-res stuff and the animations, I'll come back through and loosen up the appropriate edges to see if I can't learn how to make a proper game model. :-P Time will tell! haha
  • BobtheGreatII
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BobtheGreatII polygon
    Oh heck. At this rate you could probably model a decent game model in a quarter of the time it's taken you to make this. Lol. It would probably be cake.
  • austie702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh heck. At this rate you could probably model a decent game model in a quarter of the time it's taken you to make this. Lol. It would probably be cake.

heh, well, I sure hope you're right about that! I appreciate the encouraging words tho, buddy. I was slightly disheartened to hear about the switch to game models I wasn't expecting. But, it's all just more to learn!!and that part I love, so it's all gravy. =P
  • austie702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man I've missed modeling! Just barely got started back on this magazine area, so here's my progress so far. The only piece left is the little snap-clip that holds everything in at the bottom of the magazine box. Hopefully I'll get some good work in this weekend, but that's gonna be left up to luck now.

I'm trying the difference between different transparencies and cutaway views to get more of a feel for how to present this. Anyone have any opinions between any of the following? Better suggestions in general? All thoughts and crits are very welcome.

tr_0169.jpg
    tr_0181.jpg
    tr_0182.jpg
    tr_0183_0.jpg
    tr_0184.jpg
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    you have so much determination, fuck man.
  • Fridock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fridock polycounter lvl 11
    may i know the poly count of all assets summary?
  • austie702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heh, thanks Alex. :) I try to get to it as often as possible, unfortunately that is never often enough.

To Fridock: sure! It's currently comprised of 81 pieces that total to an (almost) all quads polycount of 299,311 verts or 298,225 polys. I say "almost" all quads just because I haven't cleaned up the mesh yet so I know there will be some tris and ngons hiding out in a couple places (mostly the earlier meshes of the project, I haven't allowed for that for awhile now). Now, of course, it's clearly a subD model, so after it divides just one time it's already looking at approximately 1,200,000 or so. I think for these test/progress renders, I've had the rendering subdividing two times (all at render-time, of course).

Hope that helps answer the question.