Home General Discussion

Art Institute fires animation teacher who won't pimp their useless e-books

Replies

• almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    my art skills were learned and earned the hard way... by making mistakes, and getting my ass chewed off via harsh critique here.

my progress was directly proportional to how deluded i was... there was a time when i honestly thought i was great, and that posting here was just something i did to show off. it's only when i started thinking "you know what? i'm actually not that good" that i started learning.

it had nothing to do with college, or university... heck, i don't even have an art GCSE (basic qualification from senior school here in england). i was ungraded in art!

but if someone were to tell me "if you throw in nearly 20 grand and 3 years of hard work, you'll be amazing", i'm sorry but i've saved myself 20 grand and still done the same amount of work... if not more, sure i'm not amazing yet but i'm hoping to get there some day.

all that aside, you still didn't accurately retort my point...
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    It's great that we work in an industry where hard work can get you ready for a job without any college.
    Some people function better in a school environment with somebody to give them assignments and deadlines. that's just fine.
    Myself - i went to school because i desperately needed my life to switch directions and had not been able to cause the change myself. It did the trick but i wish i had done more research and found a cheaper route. hindsight is 20/20, though.
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    Kwramm wrote: »
    expiring books - anyone ever heard of anything more stupid?

It's time's like this, that I lose a little faith in humanity...

Our teacher was kind enough to scan and upload a copy of the book we needed. Well at least 'parts' of it that we needed.

After that we haven't needed to buy one yet.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    my art skills were learned and earned the hard way... by making mistakes, and getting my ass chewed off via harsh critique here.

my progress was directly proportional to how deluded i was... there was a time when i honestly thought i was great, and that posting here was just something i did to show off. it's only when i started thinking "you know what? i'm actually not that good" that i started learning.

it had nothing to do with college, or university... heck, i don't even have an art GCSE (basic qualification from senior school here in england). i was ungraded in art!

but if someone were to tell me "if you throw in nearly 20 grand and 3 years of hard work, you'll be amazing", i'm sorry but i've saved myself 20 grand and still done the same amount of work... if not more, sure i'm not amazing yet but i'm hoping to get there some day.

all that aside, you still didn't accurately retort my point...

I was just complementing on your art skills mate. Relax. You know as per my art skills, I stand no where to answer such questions because I too buy books / e-books / tutorials for it.

I also thought this was a rhetorical question that you asked in your point. If you really needed an answer. It has to be expressed in a way to ask either a person who is just starting out or someone who spend 12 hours practicing his art and programming skills.

By forking out I assume you mean read it herf by herf and apply what you've read in to your art skills. There were few art books that I bought and never used because its something you cant really apply unless you either trace it, or have read it like 10 times to know what the writer intends you to learn from his book. If say for example an e-book is about "Introduction to -"Name of the 3d modeling tool,"" This scene would've been alot different from what it is right now. Since many 3d modeling tool books and even UDK master class type of books give you a step by step procedure about how to USE the tool.

I stopped buying books about 2 years ago. The set of books that I have are programming, game programming, web design / dev / programming and math books Half of which are from my college and they were used as a reference only.

I am not sure if that answers your question made in your point.
  • nothinglastsforever
    Kwramm wrote: »
    expiring books - anyone ever heard of anything more stupid?

I still have my 10 year old college math book and its one of the best math books I ever had... expiring? wtf???

Same here. :poly142: